It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: error codes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all - Hope everyone has pulled through 2020.

Been a long while since ive been on here.

I have a liberty CRD 2005. It has given me almost '0' problems since I bought it in 2015.
This week however the engine light went on and It has given me sudden error codes.

I did the 'key thing' and it gave me 2 error codes -
P 1236 &
P 0893

Anyone have experience with these codes? Can I drive with these codes? Serious or no?

Thanks a bunch!

Dave w

Home of the dr5 process - http://www.dr5.com

Post subject: Re: error codes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:04 pm 

You need to have it scanned by someone who has a good scanner. Sometimes the key thing does not give you the correct information.
Neither of those P codes are listed in the index for an 05 liberty diesel.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

Doesn't the cluster trick sometimes swap the last 2 digits of the code? Maybe I'm thinking of another car!
Anyway that would make the first one 1263 which is a glow plug. There is a 4 pin connector near the dip stick that you can unplug and measure the resistance of each plug to the block. Each should be less than 1 ohm. If they're failed though it won't be 1.5 or something. It'll be many times higher. Possibly in the hundreds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the replies here! I pulled out my old GREEN DIESEL scanner [forgot I had it]. The codes were different as you said.
the code now are: P0836 & P0672.

I had the devise clear the codes with success, but after 60sec the engine light came back on, the PO672

What are these fault codes? The engine seems to be running normally.

Thanks again. regards.. dave w

WWDiesel wrote:
You need to have it scanned by someone who has a good scanner. Sometimes the key thing does not give you the correct information.
Neither of those P codes are listed in the index for an 05 liberty diesel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:06 pm 
LOST Addict

That would be glow plug #2. Different scanner - different code. I would make the measurement I described above. Could be another cylinder because many of our glow plug harnesses were swapped from the factory - putting #1 at the back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

ill try that. Since its running fine [Its not running like its running on 3 cylinders], is it the plugs starting to fail? .. or something connected to them [Glow Plug Module, etc..] ? Thanks,, dw

CATCRD wrote:
That would be glow plug #2. Different scanner - different code. I would make the measurement I described above. Could be another cylinder because many of our glow plug harnesses were swapped from the factory - putting #1 at the back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 pm 

P0672 -- Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit
IF you got a ohm meter, ohm each one at a time.
May be time for some new Glow Plugs? :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:53 pm 
LOST Addict

dr5chrome wrote:
ill try that. Since its running fine [Its not running like its running on 3 cylinders], is it the plugs starting to fail? .. or something connected to them [Glow Plug Module, etc..] ? Thanks,, dw

CATCRD wrote:

The glow plug has probably failed. It's not uncommon, especially once winter hits and if you are running the original ceramic ones. They have a white band on the neck. New metallic ones have a red band. #2 is not too bad to replace. #3 is worse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

now a days everyone goes for 5v Bosch gp back in 2014 I purchased 3 sets of 7v etechnos from id parts 2 sets burnt in no time. 3rd set still holding well. but they do not start easy in cold weather but at least they don't fail. at least people that purchased Bosch set didn't experience failures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:00 am 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
now a days everyone goes for 5v Bosch gp back in 2014 I purchased 3 sets of 7v etechnos from id parts 2 sets burnt in no time. 3rd set still holding well. but they do not start easy in cold weather but at least they don't fail. at least people that purchased Bosch set didn't experience failures.

Yeah same experience here mostly. The Etecnos were terrible in the cold. They were just something to plug the holes in the head haha. I switched to the 5V Bosch metallic plugs, still on original 7V programming.

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE - So i wasn't able to even turn the 1st plugg. My CRD has 147k. I suspect the pluggs are near original. They were updated to the steel at one point, but IDK when. I have owned it since 2015.

I took it to a jeep dealer, the only place I could find in the DSM area to work on this engine.
Today they called me. They could not get 2 of the pluggs out and one broke its tip. This means they have to pull the head.. 2600$ later. :5SHOTS: dw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:32 am 
LOST Member

I feel your pain. When I replaced mine, #2 snapped. Had to pull the head. So while I was that deep in I went ahead and replaced the exhaust valves and rockers as recommended by folks here.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B