It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White smoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:56 pm 
LOST Member

There is oil coming out of my exhaust and white smoke coming out. What can it be? I did just put in a new turbo and did an oil change could that be a reason?

Post subject: Re: White smoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:31 pm 
LOST Member

If your old turbo had a seal failure, then it put a bunch of engine oil into the intercooler and manifold. It will eventually get sucked out, but in the meantime you will have some extra smoke. Usually oil causes black smoke and water (antifreeze) will cause white smoke. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

Edited to add: I saw in your other post that your coolant level is indeed low. You either have a head gasket failure or a dropped valve. Either way you will need to remove the head and inspect. Hopefully it is just a head gasket failure. A dropped valve will most likely require a new head and possibly a piston and liner $$$$$$$.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm 
LOST Member

Jay ne Ohio wrote:
If your old turbo had a seal failure, then it put a bunch of engine oil into the intercooler and manifold. It will eventually get sucked out, but in the meantime you will have some extra smoke. Usually oil causes black smoke and water (antifreeze) will cause white smoke. Keep an eye on your coolant level.

Edited to add: I saw in your other post that your coolant level is indeed low. You either have a head gasket failure or a dropped valve. Either way you will need to remove the head and inspect. Hopefully it is just a head gasket failure. A dropped valve will most likely require a new head and possibly a piston and liner $$$$$$$.
Thanks for the input but I think one of my hoses have a hole as I have been slowly losing coolant and I could see the drops if I leave the car sitting for awhile. Also while I had the turbo removed it seemed one of the hoses were leaking so I hope it’s just a hose with a hole.

Post subject: White smoke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

Also my turbo did fail and shoot a bunch of oil into the exhaust so that’s why it’s leaking oil. I did read only might not be true, but the white smoke could be it burning off the shipping oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

it may be oil in the CAT. The simple fix is to take it for a long hard run. 60-70 mph up hill for an hour or so if you can find a suitable road. That will allow the CAT to burn off any residual oil. they call it an "Italian Tune".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 pm 

If you can in your locale, simply remove the worthless CAT and put in place of it a piece of straight pipe, problem solved.
The CAT only increases backpressure against the turbo outlet as it is an exhaust restriction and increases EGT's leaving the combustion chamber. There is a choke point right in front of the CAT where the exhaust pipe is necked down to smaller than the rest of the exhaust pipe. Most people remove this choke point when removing the CAT.
Removing it will lower EGT's coming out of the combustion chamber, lower backpressure against the turbo, and improve overall turbo boost response time and performance.
I don't make this stuff up, anything you can do to improve air/exhaust flow through the head and out the turbo by lowering backpressure will increase engine performance. That is why many totally remove the CAT and put 5 or 6 inch turbo back exhaust systems on larger diesel trucks to increase performance and lower EGTs. Getting plenty of air in and exhaust out with little or no restriction is the secret to making power in a diesel engine. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 am 
LOST Member

Ok thank you both you’ve been very great I will keep that in mind in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:03 am 
LOST Member

Does it otherwise run normal? My past experience with white exhaust was a bad injector and raw fuel, which you could smell as well.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:57 am 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
Does it otherwise run normal? My past experience with white exhaust was a bad injector and raw fuel, which you could smell as well.
Now there is no more smoke it’s how it should be but it is lacking some boost at the higher rpms. Might make another post for that. Another than that it’s fine