It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which battery?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:03 am 
LOST Member

Which battery are youall using now? Mine is at least 5 years old and needs replacing.

NAPA says all they show for the diesel is an Optima, which is over $300 even with my discount. They show a group 8434 for the gasser, which is what is in it now and has been fine - until now. The born on date isn't marked on it but I've been using it for 54 months now. The 8434 is rated at 800 cca and 985 ca.

When we see below freezing temps it's never for very long and rarely single digits (don't look at next week's forecast though...). I know some of you have dual battery setups which I don't need for my mods/use/clim. What single battery are youall using and recommend? Anything better than the NAPA 8434 but cheaper than the Optima? (I've had Optimas and like them but why pay if I don't need?)

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: Which battery?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

I used the battery from my motorhome, which is a 3478 dual terminal. It fits absolutely perfectly. IIRC the 34 part is for the GM style terminal, and the 78 is for a conventional top post terminal, so a regular #78 would also work.

Buy the battery technology that makes sense for your application... there are reasons to buy fancy tech like Optima/SpiralCell (vibration resistance) or AGM (deep cycling, high discharge rates, non-venting) but for your average vehicle doing average things, the best bang for the buck is flooded lead acid.

There are only a handful of battery manufacturers in the US, and by and large they are circle the same quality drain. ;) Batteries are made to spec for retailers, so just because East Penn makes NAPA's Legend that doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the same battery you'd buy direct from East Penn. And just because East Penn is making batteries right now, that doesn't mean JCI isn't going to win that business tomorrow. It's all about price.

My advice is always this: Buy the battery with the best and most convenient warranty. I used to buy Interstate batteries because I could do that at the local BMW shop, and when it failed run down the street and get it replaced. They don't deal Interstate anymore, so claiming that warranty is a PAIN. Moreover, I've found that more often than not I need a battery when I'm far away, so buying from a national retailer had some perks... there's always an Autozone or NAPA. Read the warranty terms carefully - lots of batteries advertise long warranties, but often what you'll find is a very short replacement term followed by a longer prorated term. I may have the specifics wrong, but last time I went battery shopping I found Autozone's Duralast Gold and NAPA's Legend to be the same price, but the Duralast was 3 year replacement, 2 year prorated, and the Legend was 1 year replacement, 2 year prorated. Clear victory for the Autozone battery! These jerkoffs change those terms frequenty, and sometimes even within a single product line, so check carefully.

I've got, I dunno, twelve cars in the driveway and I've got batteries from *everywhere*. I will say, very anecdotally, that I *seem* to get the best performance from Autozone Duralast Gold batteries. The one in my Suburban is going on eight years old now, the one in my XR4Ti is six. On the other side, Duracell brand batteries from Batteries Plus seem to be garbage. They probably paid more for the Duracell logo than the lead or acid. ;) That said, the battery in my CRD, previously in the motorhome, purchased from NAPA with a coupon that made it cheeeeeaaaaaaaaap is six years old and it's never let me down. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:59 pm 

I like the NorthStar AGM's, I went from the group 35 to the slightly larger group 65 which will fit the Liberty with a slight modification of the factory battery tray or you can purchase the Sasquatch battery holder which is designed for the larger group 65 battery. See picture.
The NorthStar Batteries are made by NorthStar, a Energy Sys Company, they cost a little more than some of the other AGMs, but you get what you pay for in the long run.
But I do agree with thesameguy, AutoZone batteries are good for less expensive batteries. They also have AGM's, I put one of them in my Nissan gasser last year.

NorthStar 65 Battery Specifications
NorthStar----------------------NSB-AGM 65
Pulse cranking amps-----------------1750 A
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F)-----------930 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F)-------1070 A
Reserve capacity---------------------135 min
Capacity-20 hour rate (1.75 vpc)---69 Ah

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I like the NorthStar AGM's, I went from the group 35 to the slightly larger group 65 which will fit the Liberty with a slight modification of the factory battery tray or you can purchase the Sasquatch battery holder which is designed for the larger group 65 battery. See picture.
The NorthStar Batteries are made by NorthStar, a Energy Sys Company, they cost a little more than some of the other AGMs, but you get what you pay for in the long run.
But I do agree with thesameguy, AutoZone batteries are good for less expensive batteries. They also have AGM's, I put one of them in my Nissan gasser last year.

NorthStar 65 Battery Specifications
NorthStar----------------------NSB-AGM 65
Pulse cranking amps-----------------1750 A
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F)-----------930 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F)-------1070 A
Reserve capacity---------------------135 min
Capacity-20 hour rate (1.75 vpc)---69 Ah

That group 65 Northstar is a killer !!!

It seem to be made by Odyssey.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:24 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for folks chiming in with their experiences & opinions. I think the NAPA gasser should be sufficient again for now.

The AGM is just $40-50 more at NAPA. I've never had one but they sound like they may be worth the little extra to me.

On a side note, what's the little battery blanket for? It's not the full circumference of the battery so does the opening go towards the motor or the outside? This Jeep sat for about two years after I tore it down and I couldn't remember how that little blanky was oriented.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:54 am 

Yes, the AGM's are definitely worth the extra money in terms of performance and longevity. :wink:

The battery blanket's purpose is to try and help protect the battery from engine heat.
Being exposed to high temperatures under the hood is not good for a battery's overall life.

For my vehicles, I purchased some Reflectix R-21 foil insulation from a builders supply and cut and made my own battery blankets. It has bright silver foil outer layer that provides some protection for reflectivity of radiated heat as well as having some insulation properties to help slow convected heat into the battery.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
Thanks for folks chiming in with their experiences & opinions. I think the NAPA gasser should be sufficient again for now.

The AGM is just $40-50 more at NAPA. I've never had one but they sound like they may be worth the little extra to me.

On a side note, what's the little battery blanket for? It's not the full circumference of the battery so does the opening go towards the motor or the outside? This Jeep sat for about two years after I tore it down and I couldn't remember how that little blanky was oriented.

The Napa AGM are complete garbage (Like most Napa parts.....)

My last one lasted about a year, and not only they don't last but they are weak, seem like their voltage is low. Mine was a group 65.

I know and see the Napa rep quite often so I don't have any problem getting it warranty but I really wish I would have buy a good battery instead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:22 am 
LOST Member

Odd, I've had mostly good luck at NAPA and with NAPA brand. Spent so much there over the years I now get a discount...

I assumed the blanket opening went away from the engine, that how I oriented it, thanks for confirming. I've used that reflective insulation on my Cummins truck. Do you use it instead of or in addition to the blankie?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

I have been using Interstate MTP 34 batteries in both of my CRD's with no issues. 800 CCA & 1000 CA. That is in Canadian winter conditions as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:15 pm 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
Odd, I've had mostly good luck at NAPA and with NAPA brand. Spent so much there over the years I now get a discount...

I assumed the blanket opening went away from the engine, that how I oriented it, thanks for confirming. I've used that reflective insulation on my Cummins truck. Do you use it instead of or in addition to the blankie?

I install napa part everyday !

You never know what you gonna get, they change suppliers all the time. They have really good coated rotors but suspension parts are always mismatch left and right........
Their regular battery are OK, the AGM don't worth it, they seem to freeze? they swell up like a regular flooded battery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 am 
LOST Member

X2 on Interstate battery. Good for 5 years here in Alaska parked in a cold garage or outdoors. OEM battery only lasted 3 years.