It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: p0700 TCM code
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

So my tranny ran low on fluid, which was a surprise as a rebuilt tranny was installed and topped off 7 mos ago (is that a thing, BTW?). It had trouble engaging, the engine light came on, and I pulled over to check the fluid. 3.5 quarts later, it is functioning mostly normally, save occasional jerky shifts (before it was not engaging or getting stuck in a gear), but the light is still on, throwing p0700. My Blue Driver (please don't laugh, I didn't know any better at the time) recommends a new crankshaft position sensor, but I'm not clear of that is what the code dictates, or just a general TCM alarm and I need additional testing? Also, is it dangerous/harmful to continue to drive it?

Last edited by Mrgabesir on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: p0700 TCM code
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm 

From OBD-ii

Quote:
P0700 code definition
P0700 is a generic OBD-II code that is indicating a fault within the transmission control system. This code may be seen with shift solenoid codes or other transmission codes.

What the P0700 code means
P0700 is set when the PCM detects a malfunction in the transmission control system. This malfunction causes the vehicle to set a Check Engine Light and trigger a failsafe mode. Once the failsafe mode is set it will remain until the fault is repaired or normal operation is detected.

What causes the P0700 code?
Faulty transmission control module
Transmission valve body fault
Shift solenoid issues
Open or short in the wiring harness

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. There is no accompanying code, wondering if that is a limitation of my scanner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think it's just an ECM code that says there's a code in the TCM. I had it and it ended up my TCM failed (codes in the TCM supported it and a new one confirmed it). However, I don't think it's that for you, since yours ran low on fluid and probably either slipped (hopefully very little) or just sucked enough air to throw the CVI monitor stuff out of whack, I'd say it's that.

Hopefully it just needs to relearn how to shift, so reset the codes (scan tool or battery disconnect) and either drive it or do the quicklearn with a scan tool. (obviously if you have access to a higher-end scan tool see what the TCM codes are before clearing them)

Also find out where the transmission fluid went. It doesn't just evaporate.

Edit to add: My generic scanner wouldn't pull codes from the TCM at all. I think Torque Pro with a OBDLink MX kinda did, but I didn't trust it, and I ended up buying a $700 Launch tool that pulled them. I didn't really need to spend that, but I was tired of not having a decent scantool. It's been a good investment for me, but I don't suggest spending that unless you really want to or have money to burn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:58 pm 

Most any "good" mechanic or transmission shop should be able to read the codes from the TCM.
Might be good money spend to take it to one and see if they can reset the code or see if there are any others ones stored. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

True, although I wouldn't trust the codes you get as any sort of diagnosis. It had a problem that likely set codes (very low on fluid) and that's been fixed, so the codes really need to be cleared and see what, if anything returns.

I'm still worried where that fluid went, and whether anything bad happened because of it. It takes very little to burn up a set of clutches. Hopefully you got lucky, but I sure wouldn't let it happen twice.