It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fault Code reader recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,
Anyone have any recommendations for Fault Code readers?

Thanks!

1982 300GD - WVO via Plantdrive
2006 LIB CRD - Burning Propel fuel
Mods (with a little sarcasm):
New Air flow control valve & New EGR valve,
New computer (took the dealer one full day),
and New window regulators all the way around...

Post subject: Re: Fault Code reader recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

It's really important to know what it is you expect to be able to read .... fault codes come from a variety of systems and at varying levels of detail. Are you just expecting to pull OBDII "P" codes, or are you expecting to be able to pull transmission, chassis, and body codes as well? Are you looking only for code, or also live sensor data? Is the only intended use a CRD, or do you have other modern-ish vehicles as well?

Barring any other guidelines, spend as much as you reasonably can and get the most complete tool you can reasonably afford. I know a lot of folks advocate for things like $5 bluetooth dongles and free Torque Lite, etc. but I'd advocate for a more comprehensive tool that can save your bacon when it's crunch time. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm 

Take a look at Innova Scanners, they come in various levels of performance and costs.
They can be purchased at most of the Auto Parts stores.

https://www.innova.com/product/list/obd2-diagnostic-tools

Buy the best you can afford, obviously the higher cost scanners will provide more detailed information and provide more functions.
Simply depends on how much information and functions you want.
But now days even the lesser expensive ones can read "P" codes and allow you to reset them. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks!

Yes, just for the CRD and mainly concerned about engine related functions and the ability to clear if necessary.

I'll take a look!

1982 300GD - WVO via Plantdrive
2006 LIB CRD - Burning Propel fuel
Mods (with a little sarcasm):
New Air flow control valve & New EGR valve,
New computer (took the dealer one full day),
and New window regulators all the way around...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I'll be the guy who says go buy a BT obd2 dongle and also spend the $5 on Torque Pro, and I think the free TorqueScan plugin. Actually buy one for every car you own and LEAVE IT IN THE CAR. You have no idea how many times that has saved someone's day! (ok, probably only 4 or 5 tbh, it's not that frequent) Fortunately usually not my day, I've been pretty lucky so far! But the $12 scanner with you on the side of the road is worth way more than the $700 scanner safely locked in your house 50 miles away.

(I'm not sure about apple. I think you need a wifi obd2 dongle, no idea about software)

They don't do much special stuff, but you can pull codes, reset codes and view some real-time data, which is really a ton for the money. Even if you buy a OBDLink instead of a knock off.

I also have a Launch X431 Pros Mini that I bought when my TCM went out. Basically spent $700 to confirm that the $150 part was indeed bad... I was guessing and didn't want to start throwing increasingly expensive parts at it, and I kinda needed a good scanner anyway. It did help me confirm it, and has come in handy over and over. Usually on other peoples vehicles though. I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it really strongly. Software is kinda clunky and sometimes hard to navigate (I think it's supposed to be close to the OEM tool's menu system so you can use the factory manuals, but if you're not following some specialized factory procedure and just want to see the codes, it varies per car/mfg, which is frustrating because it's not consistent). Also the update is almost as much as a new scanner, which kinda rubs me the wrong way. (it comes with 2 years free, and that's not too bad unless you work on late-model cars) Also it usually sits at home unless I think I'm going to need it, as it's both bulky and expensive to risk being stolen.

My opinion? If you have money to burn get a good scantool and a BT dongle, if not just get the BT dongle and see what you can do with it before spending a lot more. For full disclosure I don't actually have a $12 BT one, I've got a OBDLink MX I got on an Amazon deal of the day or something years before I bought the Jeep. I need to pick up a cheap one sometime and see if it works as good (I expect it does, and others here have indicated they work fine with them).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:45 am 
LOST Member

I use an Innova 3160d. Works well with the CRD, including ABS diagnostics. Paid for itself many times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Count me in as an advocate for the 3160. I have literally bought them as gifts before. :D

I think I have eight different scan tools at home and they've all got their purpose - they all showed up for a reason. I will readily admit that I also use Torque Pro *probably* the most often, with the OBDLink MX (which is a great dongle). But, it won't pull anything other than engine P-codes on most cars, so if there's a scenario where you want transmission, ABS or BCM codes you're buying another tool at that point.

If I only had to scan one car, and I didn't want to spend a fortune, you might look at the Autel Diaglink - I think that's the right product. It's basically a cut down version of their full product that only works on ONE make. So whereas the $200 MD806 does all systems on most cars the $100 Diaglink does all systems on one make. You can add additional cars for some small fee. (And there are hacks for unlocking all cars, but that's on you and your conscience) I have the older MD802 "all systems/all cars" version and it's been a superb tool to have around. At the time it was $300 and I've never regretted that spend.

This makes me want to buy a new tool. I'd like to get one that can program keys and such.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 pm 
LOST Member

Great thread, and timely too as I am thinking of getting a better reader tools of some sort.

A couple of questions for the folks who have used the models mentioned here:

1. On the Innova, it seems they have a variety of 3160 models these days. The 3160d and an e and an RS version. Anyone know what the difference is between these, and which you would recommend?

2. The Autel Diaglink sounds like a decent choice if you are only doing one or two brands of cars. Anyone have experience with their support?

3. Perhaps one of my biggest questions is what WON'T these readers do. Obviously they will read the Pxxxx codes from the ECU, and some say from the ABS controllers. But do they give you the additional info, like one sees in the FSM that can come along with these codes? How about doing a relearn on the tranny? Programming new keys/remotes? What should one expect or not?

Thanks