It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CCV leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am 
LOST Member

I have a small exhaust leak in the area of the CCV. I can hear the "chuffing" and I get a light coating of soot in the area. I can also "see" it puffing the loose tape/firewall insulation etc. When I reach back I can feel it behind the CCV in the area of that rearmost mount bolt for the wiring loom (missing). But for the life of me I can't identify exactly where it's coming from. That's a hard to access, awkward spot and there's so much junk around it.

I first noticed it after I replaced the headgasket. Could be the rear exhaust tube that goes to the EGR (which I blocked off at the EGR but not at the manifold) but seems to be more like at the back of the CCV. I did add the ProVent mod.

Could I have left out a bolt of some kind (didn't have any left over) or can the CCV fail & leak? Is there something else back there I'm not seeing or remembering???

I can hear it and see the secondary evidence of it but for the life of me can't pinpoint it. :banghead: I was hoping I could see the actual smoke on cold start up but not so far...

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: CCV leak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:19 pm 

Based on your description, it is most likely the EGR exhaust feed tube that runs across behind the head has sprung a leak.

You have several options:
You can remove the feed tube from the exhaust manifold and make a block off plug to fit back into the V clamp. It is about the size of a quarter.
I made mine out of some 1/8" metal.
or
Some simply remove the EGR exhaust feed tube, cut it off a few inches from the V clamp, flatten out the end with a hammer on a vice or anvil, fold the flattened metal over and seal it with the hammer.
or
Some remove the feed tube and tap out the inside where the V clamp attaches the pipe to the manifold using a pipe tap. This allows you to screw a pipe plug into the end of the exhaust manifold. But be forewarned, getting to the end of the exhaust manifold to tap it out with the manifold installed on the engine while it is in the vehicle is very tight. There is very little room to maneuver.
or
Buy one of the EGR Delete Kits off eBay, the exhaust manifold plug comes in the kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-FCV-Kit-fo ... SwdAleb0Mv

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 am 
LOST Member

Bugger, I was hoping for something simpler and easier but in the back of mind that was the culprit I was thinking of. I contemplated blocking it off when I put it back but thought no in case my attempt leaked...

Once I get it back home I'll try to narrow it down to that - or eliminate it. Right now it's parked about 2 miles away on the other side of the flood waters.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:38 pm 
LOST Member

Update:

While the KJ was in my shop for all the other maladies I decided to further investigate my exhaust leak/soot maker. Using a mirror I discovered the EGR tube was clean. Suspecting the CCV I removed it and looked for cracks but it was fine.

Using a piece of hose to my ear I traced the noise down to the rear injector. I guess it didn't seat properly when I did the head. I tried snugging the retainer bolt but it was fine. Guess I'll have to R&R it and try again...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:36 pm 

krb wrote:
Update:
While the KJ was in my shop for all the other maladies I decided to further investigate my exhaust leak/soot maker. Using a mirror I discovered the EGR tube was clean. Suspecting the CCV I removed it and looked for cracks but it was fine.
Using a piece of hose to my ear I traced the noise down to the rear injector. I guess it didn't seat properly when I did the head. I tried snugging the retainer bolt but it was fine. Guess I'll have to R&R it and try again...

There is a replaceable copper sealing washer that fits between the bottom of the injector and the head where it seats/seals with pressure from the crowfoot hold down clamp. The rubber "O" ring around the injector is for keeping trash and debris from going down around the injector, it does not seal compression, only the copper crush washer does that.

They make some seat cutters to clean up the sealing surface if it is damaged in any way.
They don't cost that much for the whole set. :D

17pc Diesel Injector Seat Cutter Set Universal Tool Kit on eBay:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 am 
LOST Member

It's either a piece of debris or a buggered seat surface. I'll look into one of those kits. I could add it to my broken glowplug removal kit just for this vehicle too.

Those copper washers are a one time use type deal aren't they? I hate the thought of trying to find just one to buy and a 4 pack probably isn't cheap. Last time I did work on my IH tractor a 6 pack was like $28 :shock: I ended up just finding copper washers at the hardware store, may do the same here if there's nothing special about them.

Thanks,

Last edited by krb on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am 
LOST Member

Dang, $11.95 for a single crush washer and o-ring! Or $1.99 just for the washer, plus shipping though...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am 
LOST Member

A year or so ago I just got the copper washers right from my local Chrysler dealer. They were not that pricey and I had them the next morning. I believe the same washer is used on the current Eco-diesels, so they are readily available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:23 am 
LOST Member

Ah, good idea, I'll give that a try, should be easier to get a single that way.