It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Viscous heater clutch plate necessary
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I dont care for the viscous heater. To me, it's just another part added to a machine to break. I already had to replace the bearing but now the plate is scraping and making it squeal. it's fine when removed. Is it ok to just take out that small bolt in the middle, remove the plate and just use the pulley?

Post subject: Re: Is the Viscous heater clutch plate necessary
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm 

xsfpns wrote:
I dont care for the viscous heater. To me, it's just another part added to a machine to break. I already had to replace the bearing but now the plate is scraping and making it squeal. it's fine when removed. Is it ok to just take out that small bolt in the middle, remove the plate and just use the pulley?

I build a custom kit to completely remove the viscous heater and it's plumbing and replace it with a Gates pully.
Pulley & mounting bracket are a direct bolt in replacement for the OEM viscous heater reusing OEM bolts, no other mods required other than rerouting one hose from VH to thermostat housing.
This allows you to reuse your stock OEM belt. Comes complete with install instructions & procedure.
PM or email me if you are interested, I currently have one left in stock. Free shipping in US.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

If you have no need for it then by all means eliminate it. Anyone in the Northern climates would think you were out of your mind to remove it though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am 
LOST Member

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
If you have no need for it then by all means eliminate it. Anyone in the Northern climates would think you were out of your mind to remove it though.

Both of my CRD's operate in the Canadian climate, with the viscous heaters removed. Secret is to have a properly functioning thermostat, preferably of a higher temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:28 pm 
LOST Addict

mrhemi wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

Both of my CRD's operate in the Canadian climate, with the viscous heaters removed. Secret is to have a properly functioning thermostat, preferably of a higher temperature.

mrhemi:

I will disagree with you, but only mildly. I think the viscous heater is beneficial in cold climates, but a properly functioning hotter thermostat is indeed much more important.... that is why I created the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly.

The purpose of a viscous heater is to bring the engine up to operating temperature quicker than running without one would, so it does have value in that regard. I am certain that people in warmer climates would disagree with this, but they rarely experience the kind of temperatures we do up here in the Great White North throughout most of the winter. :mrgreen:

For the record, a hotter engine thermostat will theoretically increase the life of the viscous heater because the heater will be running less.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:59 pm 

mrhemi wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

So true! The viscous heater is not needed in warmer climates. Ran for years with the relay pulled before I developed the elimination kit and totally removed it.
I am not sure how much usable heat it actually adds to the cabin heater if any even in the colder northern climates.
But it certainly does adds drag/load to the engine when it is cold and the VH clutch is engaged.
Some temperature data with/without the viscous heater relay installed would be most beneficial for determining just how much heat the thing actually adds if any.
Eliminating it and the coolant hoses gets rid of two more things that can fail and cause issues; coolant leaks and VH clutch bearing failure. :D
The more unnecessary things you can eliminate from this engine and make it simple, the better off you are in the long run....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve