It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rear Driveshaft U-Joint Failure
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:03 am 
LOST Member

Put in two new Spicers with zerts. A bit of a PITA. Lots of hammering on the garage floor until I remembered you suggested a large vice. The vice is a must for this project. Had to redo one side as the zert has to face a particular direction in order to access. Anyway, the job is done and now on to that CAT delete project next.

WWDiesel wrote:
taroo wrote:
So I am up next needing to replace the rear universal joints. I will buy the greasable Spicers that are listed here by WWDiesel. Never done this before so if there are any tricks to replacing them, please let me know!!! Lastly, do they come greased to start or do I install them then grease them?

They will come with some grease already in them, but you should grease them a little after you get the drive shaft back installed with the new joints. It won't take much grease.
A good large vice is almost a must when replacing U-joints. The key is to go slow, take your time, and not make any mistakes.
If you are not comfortable replacing the U-joints, remove the shaft and take it to a local shop and pay them to replace the joints for you. You can furnish your own joints. Or find someone who has done it and get them to help you.
Experience doing this or watching someone else do it, comes in real handy. :wink:

This is a very good video on Youtube that takes you through all the operations of replacing the 2 U-joints on a Jeep Liberty. (17 mins. long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k67g4azuJ7g

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter