It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Larger/Deeper Transmission Oil Pan Replacement
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:14 pm 

Anyone installed one of these PML 10304 OIL PANS on their 545RFE transmission?
It holds 2 1/2 extra quarts ATF over stock and has a drain plug and has a place that can be drilled and tapped for a temperature gauge sensor/probe. It is solid cast aluminum with internals baffle fins to help dissipate heat.
Guess this will solve the dipstick hitting the bottom of the oil pan problem! :rockon:
I am going to have to lower my home made skid pan a few inches for additional clearance to clear the deeper oil pan.

PML also makes an even deeper one (11039) that holds an additional 4 1/2 more quarts of ATF, but I did not want it due to it would be hanging down to low and would require dropping the skid pan about 4 inches.

I will share some pictures of the install once all parts get here sometime next week hopefully. New Pan, LubeLocker Pan Gasket, New Mopar filters (2), and a New Glowshift Transmission Gauge temperature sensor for the pan.

This will give me the ability to read transmission fluid temperature in the oil pan as well as the hot fluid leaving the transmission going to the ATF cooler up front (current gauge sensor is in a "TEE" block on metal cooler line that goes to fluid cooler up front). I will install a two way switch so I can switch between the two sensors on the fly to compare and monitor temperatures.

Link to another CRD owner who documented his install of this exact oil pan:> http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/deeppan.htm

Link to PML Industries for 10304 Oil Pan, (Not a sponsor):> https://yourcovers.com/pml-chrysler-dod ... n-pan.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Larger/Deeper Transmission Oil Pan Replacement
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:38 am 
LOST Addict

I also have a trans temp sensor in a tee on the line going forward to the cooler. I have a B&M in series after the factory one. I'm curious what temps you see on the output line compared to mine. At 70mph, 80F, it will sit about 135. But as soon as you coast to an exit for example and the TC unlocks, it jumps up to 160-170. It will run 160 to 180 in traffic in that kind of weather. Climbing a steep grade at 25mph I've seen 220. Factory pan.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:09 pm 

CATCRD wrote:
I also have a trans temp sensor in a tee on the line going forward to the cooler. I have a B&M in series after the factory one. I'm curious what temps you see on the output line compared to mine. At 70mph, 80F, it will sit about 135. But as soon as you coast to an exit for example and the TC unlocks, it jumps up to 160-170. It will run 160 to 180 in traffic in that kind of weather. Climbing a steep grade at 25mph I've seen 220. Factory pan.

I have a Glowshift gauge/sensor in the Tee block in the ATF cooler line where it comes out of the transmission going to the two transmission coolers up front. OEM & Derale 10 Row Stacked Plate.
When pulling a loaded trailer with about 4k load up long inclines in the mountains, we saw temperatures rise close to 260 but would cool quickly back down to around 220 as soon as you got over the climb. Overdrive was locked out on incline pulls.
I am thinking that the current gauge sensor location is not ideal and may be slightly misleading as it will always see the hottest temperatures the fluid will ever get as it is being worked hard.
By adding a larger pan and greater fluid capacity along with adding a second gauge sensor in the oil pan, it will allow me to compare the two temperatures locations while driving with the simple flip of a switch.

I have ordered a new Glowshift gauge sensor and a SPDT rocker switch that I plan to use to switch between the two sensors from the dash.
The rocker switch is on/on with no off center position and will be wired as shown below:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

No experience here, but I can share that a deeper pan on my 12,000lb P30 w/ 4L80E dropped transmission temperatures an astonishing 40F!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 pm 

thesameguy wrote:
No experience here, but I can share that a deeper pan on my 12,000lb P30 w/ 4L80E dropped transmission temperatures an astonishing 40F!

:BINGO:
Thanks, that makes me very hopeful.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch