It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things that shudder and such
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I love my CRD Liberty but it has some weird behaviors. Recently I experienced a shudder then a violent engine stall shortly after putting it in 1st gear after startup... but not all the time. Then I noticed a lack of “go” around about the same time... but not always. Then I read a post about trans or torque con draining down while resting and they suggested a 5~10 sec mild rev in neutral before taking off after start up and the violent shudder and lack of “go” were eliminated. Recently I forgot to idle before taking off and the shudder/stall returned. I’m convinced they are related. What do I need to replace to prevent the drain down of the Tranny or Torque con and to prevent all of these unwanted side effects?

SmashOgre
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited 4x4

Just tying to keep it on the road

Post subject: Re: Things that shudder and such
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:34 am 

The problem is caused by worn components inside the front pump assembly of the transmission. The engine stalling right after starting and driving a few hundred feet along with the slow hesitation of gear engagement when first starting after setting for a time period or overnight is caused by a drain back issue. Both are known problems with this transmission especially when they get some age/miles on them.
Most while they have the transmission removed to replace the font pump assembly also go ahead and install a better torque converter along with adding a TransGo Kit to improve torque converter clutch holding force and better shifts.

Read this:
Quote:
These are some of the main reasons why you should replace the transmission oil pump assembly...
*Severe wear of the TC limit valve bore in the front pump housing results in loss of converter release oil pressure. Reduced release pressure at low speed and idle can drag the converter linings, causing engine surge, pulsation or stall.

*The torque converter limit valve spring in the 45RFE, 545RFE front pump can often break. This valve limits converter release pressure. A broken spring can cause the valve to become stuck and result in converter clutch release issues including engine stalls at low speeds.

*Chrysler vehicles equipped with 45RFE, 545RFE and 68RFE transmissions often experience TCC related troubles. These may or may not include trouble codes accompanied by TC clutch slip, no lockup, overheating and / or loss of fuel economy. In some cases, the TC clutches may be unable to release TC lockup, resulting in improper lockup functions and / or complete engine stalling. Problems such as these can be caused by excess wear in the TCC switch valve bore, which allows vital control pressure to escape the circuit. Replacing the complete transmission oil pump assembly with a new updated assembly or reconditioning the bores with the proper tools and installing an oversized TCC switch valve kit can restore crucial clearances for renewed TCC control and operation.

Front Pump Assembly

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 am 
LOST Addict

For the cold start-put in gear-then stall problem, the simple solution is to let the engine idle for a minute before putting into gear. This will allow the trans fluid to pump up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the helpful info and confirming my morning startup technique. So I need to replace the front pump and torque converter... is that a driveway fix or a shop fix? Just curious how involved this is going to be.

By the way, the only other symptom I have now is reduced fuel economy... my Liberty has 170k miles indicated on the ticker currently.

SmashOgre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:56 am 
LOST Member

I sure hope it’s a driveway fix because that’s where I plan to do mine lol.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, the whole transmission and transfer case has to come out, so...

Invite a couple friends over to help and I’m sure it could be done in the driveway :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the tips. Still haven’t mustered the courage or time to drop the engine/tranny yet but definitely have incorporated the tips and eliminated the shudder and such. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:41 am 
LOST Newbie

My 2005 Liberty CRD is starting to do this too. Where is the best place to get a replacement front pump and torque converter? I have heard of some using a torque converter for a Hemi powered pickup, but what are the choices out there? Is the front pump a core charge component or buy a new one with no core charge type of deal?

Custom adapter for 2.8 Duramax crankshaft damper
Custom two piece fan shroud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:28 pm 
LOST Member

I am curious on this as well. ^^^ I read about guys putting in a trans from a hemi pickup?? or Durango?? I can't seem to find the thread now.. If anyone has any info please let us know.

Suncoast torque converter
Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump
HDS 001 stat housing w/190 thermostat
Trans temp, egt, ultra gauge gauges
email 84landcruiser(at)gmail(dot)com