It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Troubleshooting CRD after it died driving
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All

Havn't been on here in a while, hope the board is still somewhat active. I have an 06 CRD with 188k miles. Has been very reliable thus far. Original head studs and rockers/valves etc but I know its a ticking time bomb. It does consume coolant so it may have a tiny cracked head gasket between the cylinders but power feels good and it hasn't gotten worse.

So I was driving along on the highway 75mph for about 15 miles when the engine just died, RPM's went to 0, the tach blipped once then just quit. Pulled over, tried to start it a couple of times, it cranks strong but engine doesn't even get close to starting. Feels like no fuel situation, battery is good. Towed home, go outside a couple of hours later and it fires right up, idles perfect, revs sound good. Repeat tonight and same thing.

So my wife drives this around town with our son, I don't trust it now for her to drive until I find out what happened and address it. But I have no idea what to look at first. Intermittent wiring issue when warm maybe? I don't suspect fuel now based on the recovery without doing anything. Any ideas on what kinds of things I could check? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting CRD after it died driving
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

I think it does sound like a fuel starvation issue, but it might be the crank position sensor as well.

The preferred upgrade if it is a fuel issue would be the installation of a fuel lift pump in the tank; strangely enough the penny-pinchers at Daimler Chrysler decided that the CRD was getting too expensive so they deleted the in-tank fuel lift pump. The wiring harness that loops close to the tank actually has an outlet so that you can plug a lead to power the lift pump that should have been provided. The installation of a lift pump in the tank is the best version of this upgrade... no point in the fuel system is a vacuum to let air into the system.... positive pressure all the way to the CP3 pump. No cavitation in the fuel filter head either which can lead to overheat issues, (an upgrade fuel filter head is available).

Use an Airtex E7181M or equivalent as the fuel lift pump.

If you are going to perform the in tank upgrade, consider the installation of a Webasto engine coolant heater as well; hot starts every time in any weather because the Webasto is 12.5 times the power of your block heater. Very good for the fuel economy and for your engine as well.

2 e-mail messages have been sent to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:36 am 
LOST Addict

Like TDF said, that's classic failure of the crank position sensor. They will work again once they cool off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:20 pm 

dskater411 wrote:
Hi All

Havn't been on here in a while, hope the board is still somewhat active. I have an 06 CRD with 188k miles. Has been very reliable thus far. Original head studs and rockers/valves etc but I know its a ticking time bomb. It does consume coolant so it may have a tiny cracked head gasket between the cylinders but power feels good and it hasn't gotten worse.

So I was driving along on the highway 75mph for about 15 miles when the engine just died, RPM's went to 0, the tach blipped once then just quit. Pulled over, tried to start it a couple of times, it cranks strong but engine doesn't even get close to starting. Feels like no fuel situation, battery is good. Towed home, go outside a couple of hours later and it fires right up, idles perfect, revs sound good. Repeat tonight and same thing.

So my wife drives this around town with our son, I don't trust it now for her to drive until I find out what happened and address it. But I have no idea what to look at first. Intermittent wiring issue when warm maybe? I don't suspect fuel now based on the recovery without doing anything. Any ideas on what kinds of things I could check? Thanks.

Replace the crankshaft position sensor. Common issue on these engines.
AutoZone carries a reboxed OEM Bosch sensor and usually can get it overnight.

Duralast Crankshaft Position Sensor SU8492
Part #SU8492
https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 793836_0_0

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I replaced my crank sensor proactively at 100k, and just a word of caution. The allen head retaining bolt for it has a thin metal washer under the head. I couldn't see it when I pulled the bolt and the washer fell onto an engine casting flange out of sight but right near the sensor hole in the block. When aiming the new sensor in blind, I heard a click as the magnetic end of the sensor picked up that washer. Had I not heard it, I would have pushed it right into the engine crank case, stuck there to the end of the sensor. :dead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

Man, that's a great cautionary tale... While it probably wouldn't have done any damage in there, you really do not wanna run that experiment!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

All

Since my posting and a couple of starts later the p0339 crankshaft position sensor intermittent DTC did indeed popup on my code reader. Thanks all for the help, and for the tips. Ill watch for metal washer when replacing.

WWDiesel thanks for the alternate part! I have seriously been calling/emailing dealers around the country for the last 24 hours looking for stock, they are all on backorder for 45 days for the MOPAR part, wasn't sure if any aftermarket part was acceptable in this application.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 pm 

dskater411 wrote:
All
Since my posting and a couple of starts later the p0339 crankshaft position sensor intermittent DTC did indeed popup on my code reader. Thanks all for the help, and for the tips. Ill watch for metal washer when replacing.
WWDiesel thanks for the alternate part! I have seriously been calling/emailing dealers around the country for the last 24 hours looking for stock, they are all on backorder for 45 days for the MOPAR part, wasn't sure if any aftermarket part was acceptable in this application.

If AutoZone cannot supply the sensor, Google this number, the Bosch Part No. 0281002434
They are available on Amazon, eBay, etc... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

I just ordered one from Amazon. $38 something, free shipping. The Advance Auto price was $89.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:01 am 
LOST Junkie

There is an Australian solution to this!
Always carry a cold bottle of beer with you!
Aussies like their cold beer.
When you have this problem, poor the cold beer on the sensor.
It will cool it and often get you going.
I originally heard about this on our Australian jeep group.
XJ jeeps had this issue in both petrol & diesel.
Its worth a try to avoid a tow home if you are not far from home or to get you out of a remote place and back to civilization.
I have known of a CO2 fire extinguisher being used.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 pm 
LOST Member

layback40 wrote:
There is an Australian solution to this!
Always carry a cold bottle of beer with you!
Aussies like their cold beer.
When you have this problem, poor the cold beer on the sensor.
It will cool it and often get you going.
I originally heard about this on our Australian jeep group.
XJ jeeps had this issue in both petrol & diesel.
Its worth a try to avoid a tow home if you are not far from home or to get you out of a remote place and back to civilization.
I have known of a CO2 fire extinguisher being used.

When I was in high school a millennium ago, we used the CO2 extinguishers to chill our beer in a hurry.

Wouldn't waste a cool beer on a Jeep part. Drink the beer first, then piss on the sensor to cool it off.