It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My time has come! (timing belt, waterpump and rockers)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I knew I would be doing this, just was trying to put it off for another 22k or so! I'm at 278k and curiosity got the best of me. This is more a story than anything, so far I think I've got it handled! (mostly thanks to all the info on this site)

It started with a lack of power when taking off, like really bad turbo lag. Mostly did it when it was really hot out, like me, she just doesn't like that weather. I thought it was the turbo, so since the guy I bought her from had given me a spare, I put it on. Seemed a bit better, but it wasn't real hot out yet. Well, it got hot and the lag returned. Then last week it started squealing around 2-2400rpm, sounded exactly like a serpentine belt squeal, but would do it without the belt on, and unplugging the vacuum from the turbo made the noise disappear. So I decided to put the other turbo back on, as it was clearly not the source of my lag problem. I'm not sure what's wrong with the new turbo, it's tighter than the old one and everything looks perfect...

Anyway, I got the old turbo off and started eyeing the engine, I've been suspicious of rockers for some time and 22k is a long way off when I'm not driving a whole lot. Since I've also got some time on my hands...

So I decided to "inspect" the timing belt. Previous owner said it was done at 200k (no reason to doubt that), but I don't think they did rockers or anything like that. What I also don't know is how long ago 200k was. I don't remember if he told me or not, my memory is kinda fuzzy. So down to the timing belt I tore! And I get to it and it's not terrible, but I don't know, seems kinda iffy. So I debate whether to just do it now. I line up the timing marks from the last time the belt was changed, and uh oh... the crank bolts are not where I expect them from what I've read here. and no, the pin (well, drill bit) won't fit the crank hole... turn it back until it will and the crank is where I expect (keyway at 3o'clock), but now both cam paint marks are one tooth to the left...

Well ain't that something? So I try the cam pins (just feeling with a allen key) after much fiddling, it seems like the exhaust cam is right and the intake is off by a tooth, or maybe they're both off by a tooth (which would match the paint marks), I can't tell 100%, I really need the proper pins.

So I debate buying the tools and correcting the timing or the belt kit and just being done with it. or should I look at the rockers while I'm in this deep? After much deliberation, I decided to just buy the tools, correct the timing, and see what happens. So bright and early the next morning I go out, ignore all that, and manage to pull the cam sprockets (without the correct tools) and then the intake. I had a fit with the #4 injector, and all 4 were missing the o-rings, so now I need to clean the holes out. Hopefully nothing too bad fell in, I washed the engine before I started and blew out what I could before I pulled the injectors, but the holes look kinda muddy... Also the #4 crush washer didn't come out with the injector, so I have to retrieve that later.

I only found one bad rocker (roller was loose), but 5 bad lash adjusters (looked like the little retaining caps have been hammered?), so I decided to play it safe and just do them all, so it's all ordered and hopefully will be here by next weekend! Still a lot of prep to do before then, but maybe among all this I'll fix my lag! Gotta keep my little Jeep happy!

Post subject: Re: My time has come! (timing belt, waterpump and rockers)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 am 

Four important things you need to know!

First,
the paint marks on the cam gears mean NOTHING, they are totally meaning less. Only the timing pins are the correct alignment for both cams and the timing pin in the flywheel which would put the crankshaft mark at 3:00. See pictures below.
Second,
if you are that deep and the engine has that many miles, please pull the head and replace all the exhaust valves. They are known for breaking on engines with 200k or more miles on them. And if one of them breaks off, it will cause catastrophic damage even sometimes completely destroying an engine.
Third,
most install ARP head studs when putting the head back on.
The valves and head studs are available from IDParts.com
Fourth,
be sure and align the timing mark for the CP3 injection Pump when timing the engine back up.

Crankshaft timing mark/dimple.
ImageImage

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Alright! Thanks for the tips! (and for being the voice of reason) Here's what I've come up with:

1. Yea, I know the paint marks don't mean anything, but their paint marks not lining up (especially being off exactly one tooth) is enough for me to be suspicious. Also the mark on the IP lines up when the cam marks line up, not with the crank at 3 o'clock (more suspicion!) Either way, parts and tools are coming and I'm going to time it properly. We'll know it's right.

2. You know I was really trying to avoid pulling the head right? Heh, you're right though, I'm going to see about doing that. Problem is I just checked and I've got a one hole headgasket and those are backordered. I called IDParts and they're going to try to get me an ETA, but if I pull the head and can't get a gasket, I'm pretty screwed...

3. Yea, I debated doing them one at a time, but decided if I'm not pulling the head I'll just leave it alone. We'll see if ID parts can get me the headgasket, and if so I'll do all that now too. If not I'll just plan on taking it back apart this winter or something. Wasn't too bad really.

4. Yep! Will do!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:53 pm 

foxmiles wrote:
Alright! Thanks for the tips! (and for being the voice of reason) Here's what I've come up with:

1. Yea, I know the paint marks don't mean anything, but their paint marks not lining up (especially being off exactly one tooth) is enough for me to be suspicious. Also the mark on the IP lines up when the cam marks line up, not with the crank at 3 o'clock (more suspicion!) Either way, parts and tools are coming and I'm going to time it properly. We'll know it's right.
2. You know I was really trying to avoid pulling the head right? Heh, you're right though, I'm going to see about doing that. Problem is I just checked and I've got a one hole headgasket and those are backordered. I called IDParts and they're going to try to get me an ETA, but if I pull the head and can't get a gasket, I'm pretty screwed...
3. Yea, I debated doing them one at a time, but decided if I'm not pulling the head I'll just leave it alone. We'll see if ID parts can get me the headgasket, and if so I'll do all that now too. If not I'll just plan on taking it back apart this winter or something. Wasn't too bad really.
4. Yep! Will do!

Do they have a two hole gasket available?
The difference between a one hole and a two hole gasket is only 0.003937 and since you would going basically 0.004 thicker, it would not be an issue.
0.004 is about the thickness of a human hair or the thickness of new crisp dollar bill, so you see it would not make much difference. :D

Jim Hulse has used the two hole gasket on all the ones he has done, and he has done more than most. He advocates only using the two hole gasket no matter what your engine came with.
You may want to consider it. You can contact him on here (geordi) or over on Face Book if you want to discuss it with him.
https://www.facebook.com/james.hulse

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Hey Foxmiles - I don't get over here that much anymore, but WW has the right answers for you based on our many conversations.

You are a VERY VERY lucky man on the age of those valves. PLEASE do yourself and your engine a favor, and continue the disassembly - get that head off! The valves are a ticking time bomb, the problem is fatigue wear and they fail in the alloy section of the exhaust valve, destroying the associated piston and the head, and in more than a few cases, the block too. That's a minimum of $2000 in parts if the block isn't wrecked. Prevention is the only cure.

As for the gaskets, Yes you want the two-hole. The total difference between the zero and the two hole is 20 thousands, and it DOES NOT affect the compression in any meaningful way. WW is right, I've been inside over 140 of these engines, and done about 60 valve jobs now. EVERY ONE has had the two-hole no matter what, and they are all running great.

You will want the ARP studs for sure, the valves, and new glow plugs (5v Bosch) if you haven't already changed them. Pull a plug and look at it - if the tip is straight rather than tapered.... That's a ceramic plug and needs to be GONE. It also is a ticking time bomb that can severely damage the engine. You do NOT need to change the programming / voltage if it still has the original 7v ceramic plugs, the performance will actually be better with that 7v software and the 5v plugs.

LMK if you have any questions - direct email works better than the forum PM or email systems, since both of those have been borked for some time now.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel:

Perhaps great minds do not always think alike, (for those reading along, this is a carryover joke from another thread).

I do not recommend ARP head studs. The reasons why are written below and can be sent to anyone who asks via e-mail messaging as a Word Document article....

REGARDING THE ARP HEAD STUD ISSUE:

Automotive Racing Products, (ARP), DOES NOT recommend the use of their products in the CRD engine as they have not done the research themselves to see what works and what does not for this specific application. The reason you see "kits" available through parts shops like Sasquatch Parts and I.D. Parts is that those kits are put together by ARP as specified by those shops; no warranty is implied or offered. The only criteria used to make up these kits is by identifying exactly what size, length and type of thread ARP studs would be required. No testing had been performed to the long-term effects of using ARP studs by ARP technicians and engineers themselves.

Don't believe me? Here is ARP's Order Desk and Technical Support number... 1-800-826-3045; their main sales/marketing number is 1-805-339-2200.

FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT BASHING THE QUALITY OF ARP PRODUCTS, THEIR TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR THE COMPANY ITSELF; INDEED, THEY MAKE OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS. THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE APPLICATION IS INCORRECT AND THE RESULTS ARE LONG -TERM PROBLEMS FOR YOUR NON-COMPETITION ENGINE THAT HAS ALUMINUM HEAD/IRON BLOCK ARCHITECTURE. PLEASE READ ON FOR A FURTHER EXPLANATION...

The PRIMARY target market for ARP is performance/motorsport competition; not every day or even commercial use. We are talking racing engines here; where modifications are performed on engines to make them produce 2, 3, and even 4 times the original amount of power the engine was designed to produce; using 2, 3, and even 4 times the amount of fuel and air that a stock engine would. This creates tremendous pressures on competition engines, and incredibly strong fasteners are required to keep those engines from flying apart. Therefore, holding the engine together during racing or other motorsports competition becomes the first, second and third priority; in other words, the ONLY priority. The incredibly strong ARP fasteners, by the very fact that they are so incredibly strong, completely dismiss other necessary requirements for accommodating aluminum head/iron block architecture.

What do I mean by this, you might say? Well, there are indeed other factors at play when you are talking about cylinder heads and proper integrity with the engine blocks they are bolted to. Thermal expansion/contraction and pressure changes occur during normal engine operation; control over these must be maintained while maintaining cylinder head gasket integrity over the long term on normal and commercial engines. People want their grocery-getter and boat hauling engines to last a long time. Cylinder head gaskets fail and cylinder heads warp or crack due to a number of factors, most of which are listed below…

1) Temperature differentials in the metal that is warping or cracking. The more radical the temperature differentials, the greater the chance of the metal warping or cracking.

2) The closer the proximity of the temperature differentials are to each other, the greater the chance of the metal warping or cracking.

BOTH of these facts speak very loudly to the reasons why you preheat an engine before putting a load on it. This is trucking 101; every trucker or commercial operator who has to pay to maintain their vehicle preheats the engine before putting a load on it. Truckers always have their truck engine block heaters plugged in and turned on in the winter, or they have invested in a Webasto coolant heater to pre-heat their engines before starting them. Once started, they go and perform a pre-trip inspection before driving off. By the time the pre-trip inspection is finished and the paperwork is done, the engine should be about 1/2 way to full hot. Then the driver eases away gently and works the engine lightly until it is fully warmed up.

Ideally, pre-heating an engine should be done by an external heater, be it a powerful electric engine block heater or a diesel fuelled engine coolant heater before you even start the engine; you end up with elevated temperatures that are EVEN throughout the engine and that are much closer to the operating temperature when it is working. However, even idling the engine to warm it up is better than some of the dumb-ass things I have witnessed. I have seen videos of guys starting their engines in very bad conditions. Those cold-start contests I have seen are really, really dumb. The same can be said of people starting their engines and putting their foot into it, (often hard), before the engine is even slightly warm. I would not be surprised to see engines treated in the manners described above to have a severely shortened life.

3) The number of times the engine goes through a heat cycle from cold to fully warmed up. The more heat cycles an engine experiences in its lifetime, the more times there are temperature differentials in areas that can warp, like the cylinder head around the exhaust ports.

The number 1 area of the engine that is going to warp is the exhaust port area of the cylinder head, which is BY FAR the area that experiences the greatest temperature differentials. The warping that can occur here can be bad enough that the exhaust valves are no longer aligned properly on the seats, and end up striking one side of the seat more than the other. This can weaken the valve and eventually cause it to break. Forget about the whole narrative about the valves in the CRD engine being of poor quality; severe head warpage is the real cause of premature exhaust valve failure.

4) The final issue that contributes to a cylinder head gasket failure, cylinder head warping and cracking is the use by manufacturers of aluminum head/iron block architecture. I personally do not like aluminum head/iron block architecture for precisely the reasons I am about to describe; it is a significant exacerbating factor to cylinder head gasket integrity and head warping/cracking. Give me iron head/iron block architecture any day over what we have here for the CRD engine.

The thermodynamic properties of aluminum and of iron are quite different, and this contributes greatly to head gasket problems and cylinder head warpage. Aluminum has about twice the thermal expansion factor of iron. Take exact same sized cubes of aluminum and iron, measure them at room temperature and again at 300 degrees Fahrenheit; you will find that the aluminum has increased in size twice as much as the iron has, (that is to say, the amount of the expansion of the aluminum is about twice the amount of expansion of the iron). This creates interesting challenges to engineers wanting to have an aluminum cylinder head properly bolted to an iron engine block that will have permanent, leak-free combustion chambers.

The thermodynamic differences between aluminum and iron are the whole reason why torque-to-yield bolts were created. TTY bolts allow the aluminum cylinder head to properly expand more than the iron block underneath it during operation of the engine, all while maintaining sufficient clamping force to seal those combustion chambers. These bolts stretch a little to accommodate that expansion, and will then shrink down after the engine has cooled off. TTY bolts also act as a sacrificial part when the cylinder head starts to warp; they will stretch beyond their limits and allow the head to warp.

When this happens, you will find upon tear-down of the engine that many of these bolts are barely on, and this has led some people to believe that the TTY bolts are junk. Nothing could be further from the truth… It is much preferred to destroy the bolts and have the cylinder head warp than it is to use a head stud that is so strong that it does not allow the head to properly expand during normal operation or stretch beyond its limits to allow the head to warp if that is what is going to happen. If you were to use such incredibly strong studs, the cylinder head will likely end up cracking and becoming useless junk, (or, incredibly expensive to repair).

It is all about what is less expensive to replace and repair; relatively inexpensive TTY bolts and milling the cylinder head mating surface flat; or replacing a whole cylinder head that has cracked. It doesn’t take a lot to find out that it is the latter that is much more expensive, not the former. Using ARP head studs will greatly increase the chances of the cylinder head eventually cracking, all while doing nothing to prevent a cylinder head gasket failure or the head warping at all.

I can practically guarantee that the O.E. torque-to-yield bolts are not the problem, as suggested to by several LOSTJEEPS.com members.

You may criticize this write-up by explaining that ARP head studs are used all the time in aluminum head/iron block racing engines, and you would be correct. The operative words here are “racing engines”. The common theme of all competition engines are that they do not last very long before they either need to be rebuilt are they catastrophically fail. As such, they simply do not go through nearly enough heat cycles for head warping to become an issue before there is major servicing performed or a rebuild done or there is a major failure.

Racing engines are started, allowed to fully warm up before heading to the track, and are then driven very, very hard so at no point during the race the engine is anything other than blistering hot. When the race is over and if the engine has not catastrophically failed, the engines are allowed to run relatively gently to allow them to cool off slowly, and then they are shut off and the oil changed for the next race. Repeat perhaps as many as 5 or 6 more times, and then it gets torn down for major servicing and/or a rebuild. It is very unlikely that a head warp or head gasket failure will occur during this period of time unless there is a cooling system failure/overheat event or there was a mistake made in building the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can't say for sure, but I know the guy I bought her from had a lot of work done while he owned it. I wouldn't be surprised to find some of this was done at some point (rockers and possibly valves), but I could be wrong. I'd be surprised if it was all original, but it's possible I suppose. It came with 7v steels and absolutely hated starting (it was winter), I put 5v Bosch in and it made a world of difference. So at least I don't have to worry about them!

Doesn't look like my last message sent, but IDParts doesn't have the one hole, they were expected early this month but they don't have them yet, they were going to call with an ETA, but I haven't heard back. The two holes gaskets are out of stock and not expected until January. However, it looks like sasquatch may have the parts in stock, hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Sasquatch buys much of his items from IDparts directly for resale - so he may have some.... Or may be in the same boat of non-available. That would suck b/c there are a LOT of gaskets in need right now.

As for the not-very-graphic novel posted above that, all that needs to be said is this: The studs remain in their elastic range while in use, which means simply that they are able to deform (stretch) as needed in service, but then retract to the original as-torqued length as the engine cools. TTY bolts are by design in their "plastic" range, which means that they deform - and DO NOT return to their original form. So either there is no deformation in the engine and this discussion doesn't matter at such low temperatures of under-250-degree operation of the head and block.... OR it matters greatly and the non-returning deformation is why the head bolts lose compression over time and heat cycles.

One further thought: ARP studs are far from "race only" products, and there are literally millions of aluminum heads and iron engines with them installed when considering the numerous VW, Ford, GM, and RAM vehicles that enthusiasts have installed them on. I do not believe there has been any reporting of issues with the studs in these similar applications. ARP manufactures fasteners to provide specific and repeatable results in a given application. They themselves don't do ANY testing of any particular application - but they choose whether or not to bundle for a given application based on total potential sales. This application only sold 16,000 vehicles in their primary market (the USA). Something like a VW TDI has many hundreds of thousands of units sold over nearly a 15 year period that would be compatible with the same kit, so it makes much more sense to create a box for the TDI.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Sasquatch buys much of his items from IDparts directly for resale - so he may have some.... Or may be in the same boat of non-available. That would suck b/c there are a LOT of gaskets in need right now.

As for the not-very-graphic novel posted above that, all that needs to be said is this: The studs remain in their elastic range while in use, which means simply that they are able to deform (stretch) as needed in service, but then retract to the original as-torqued length as the engine cools. TTY bolts are by design in their "plastic" range, which means that they deform - and DO NOT return to their original form. So either there is no deformation in the engine and this discussion doesn't matter at such low temperatures of under-250-degree operation of the head and block.... OR it matters greatly and the non-returning deformation is why the head bolts lose compression over time and heat cycles.

One further thought: ARP studs are far from "race only" products, and there are literally millions of aluminum heads and iron engines with them installed when considering the numerous VW, Ford, GM, and RAM vehicles that enthusiasts have installed them on. I do not believe there has been any reporting of issues with the studs in these similar applications. ARP manufactures fasteners to provide specific and repeatable results in a given application. They themselves don't do ANY testing of any particular application - but they choose whether or not to bundle for a given application based on total potential sales. This application only sold 16,000 vehicles in their primary market (the USA). Something like a VW TDI has many hundreds of thousands of units sold over nearly a 15 year period that would be compatible with the same kit, so it makes much more sense to create a box for the TDI.

geordi:

WHAT PART OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

"Automotive Racing Products, (ARP), DOES NOT recommend the use of their products in the CRD engine as they have not done the research themselves to see what works and what does not for this specific application."

Instead of using your somewhat questionable judgment - again - and stating your opinion in an area that you have absolutely no expertise in; why don't you call ARP and hear the disappointing news directly from them?

You arrogance defies logic.... who do you think you are making statements that are contrary to what the manufacturer recommends?

There simply are not enough CRD engines around to do the proper R&D for ARP to develop a proper head stud... end of story. ARP does indeed perform R&D on popular engines used in racing applications; your statements that ARP does no R&D in particular applications are simply false.

Just because YOU believe there has been no problems using ARP head studs does not make this true. In fact, your statements to the contrary notwithstanding, there have indeed been CRD owners who have reported on this forum that they developed cylinder head cracks after installing ARP head studs.

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:

You are conflating ARP head stud use in aluminum head/iron block applications that are being used as race engines - and/or - engines that are produced in sufficient numbers that it makes economic sense for ARP to develop fasteners for that engine. ARP has told me on at least two separate occasions that they do indeed perform their own R&D.

So - essentially - you are saying that what works well for a VW TDI is going to be good for the V.M. Motori R428 turbo-diesel in the CRD. So much for precise engineering; why don't you do everyone a favour and experiment with .357 magnum cartridges in a .38 Special revolver and see how well that works out?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

foxmiles:

If the nature of your CRD engine problem means that you do not have to remove your cylinder head, then don't remove it.

If you really need to remove your cylinder head, then use O.E. torque-to-yield bolts. ARP heads studs are for someone who wants to build a competition/high performance engine where the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priority is holding the engine together during racing. ARP head studs are not meant for your daily driver that you want to be reliable and last a long time.

People who think ARP head studs will solve their head warp issues by clamping the head down harder on the block simply do not understand the thermodynamic properties at play in the CRD engine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:50 pm 

Just a real friendly reminder!
Please keep the discussions respectful.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes. Let's keep it civil please. It seems you both have very strong opinions on this. Personally I doubt it makes much difference. I'm not pushing this engine hard and OEM bolts have apparently lasted nearly 300k (or I'm redoing work that's been done). I also know people who are into bigger diesels and they swear by head studs.

Bad news is that Sasquatch is also out of stock on 1 and 2 hole head gaskets. IDParts are showing an ETA of 1/1/2022 on both now. Good news is I think I found a 2 hole on eBay from England that should be here before the 9th. I can deal with that, got a lot to do this week anyway. I'll take a gamble and order it, cheaper than fixing a dropped valve and worth it for the peace of mind. Same plan applies. Not removing the head until I have the gasket in hand and can compare pics to be sure it's right. I really can't have it sitting apart in my garage for 6 months!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Six months! That's bananas!

(Says the guy who is in month 3 of waiting for #1 oversize pistons for different motor.... )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:14 pm 
LOST Addict

foxmiles wrote:
Yes. Let's keep it civil please. It seems you both have very strong opinions on this. Personally I doubt it makes much difference. I'm not pushing this engine hard and OEM bolts have apparently lasted nearly 300k (or I'm redoing work that's been done). I also know people who are into bigger diesels and they swear by head studs.

Bad news is that Sasquatch is also out of stock on 1 and 2 hole head gaskets. IDParts are showing an ETA of 1/1/2022 on both now. Good news is I think I found a 2 hole on eBay from England that should be here before the 9th. I can deal with that, got a lot to do this week anyway. I'll take a gamble and order it, cheaper than fixing a dropped valve and worth it for the peace of mind. Same plan applies. Not removing the head until I have the gasket in hand and can compare pics to be sure it's right. I really can't have it sitting apart in my garage for 6 months!

foxmiles:

Indeed, geordi and I go back a long way, and I have learned a lot about him; more than one of my customers used to be a customer of his.

If you are happy with the service life of the torque to yield bolts, then stay with them in your build.

The people you know who have "bigger diesels" may have engines that ARP has done research on and actually have developed head stud kits for. These engines may also be iron head/iron block architecture, something that is far less problematic to use head studs on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Last night I got a message that my head gasket was preparing for shipping, this morning I got a message that the seller had cancelled the order and issued a refund...

There were a few others listed, but longer lead times. (End of July or early August) Guess I'll try another when I get home...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

This may be a long shot:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/gas ... omSearch=1

I have ordered from autodoc before ... some hard to find parts for my XR4Ti that turned out to be widely available in the UK. :D

I hear the pound sterling is taking a beating right now, so this could be a good time to buy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! I'll keep that site in mind if it comes to it!

I ended up buying another off ebay and it appears to have shipped. Last tracking say's "shipment in transit" in Europe, on the 30th... Hopefully that means it's on it's way across the ocean.

Also still waiting on the valves and stuff from IDParts, as they didn't have a thermostat gasket (not sure if I can remove the head without disturbing it, we may have to find out if I get the headgasket and they are still waiting on it...).

Getting parts has been the most frustrating part of this project so far! Hopefully it will ship soon too. Not anyone's fault, just frustrating. Hoping to have everything here so I can do it this weekend. I really miss my jeep!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:39 am 

Try Sasquatch Parts,
He has a much better quality gasket listed than the Crown junk that most other sites list.
And it says "In Stock"!

https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/product ... 5066806aa/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

Those Sasquatch heavy duty gaskets are serious business! I got a couple of them.