It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2005 CRD swap into fj40
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:21 pm 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
fjdiesel wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
A lot of us have. I've had mine for 5 or more years now and it's been flawless.

Thanks for the imput. I ordered 2. One for my daily and one for my swap. Just wanted to get some real world experience. What temp thermostat are you running?

I took out the 203 and put in a 190. I think with the 203 installed, the air coming off the radiator is hot enough to engage the Hayden fan clutch almost all the time, which isn't needed.

You'll be impressed with the build quality of the HDS stat. I'm not affiliated with the maker, just a happy customer.

Thanks. I just got word that my two housings are on their way!

Suncoast torque converter
Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump
HDS 001 stat housing w/190 thermostat
Trans temp, egt, ultra gauge gauges
email 84landcruiser(at)gmail(dot)com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:34 am 
LOST Member

Got my housings!! Awesome looking units!! Can't wait to at least get the one installed on the daily driver.

On a bad note, the computer guy who said he could delete the Skim said he can't now. His equipment won't communicate with this model....

Bummed about that. He is sending it back and I will finish the wiring keeping the Skim....

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 am 
LOST Newbie

fjdiesel wrote:
While I have been waiting for the computer to come back. The lift kit showed up from RockyRoad Outfitters. So, I got that installed. Rides really nice. Very pleased with the kit.

Love your CRD swap and build project into an FJ. There is a guy I know with a pretty rough FJ. I’ve been contemplating trying to buy it, but it needs A LOT of work. I I totally thought about swapping a Cummins R2.8 crate motor into it. But after looking over my CRD a little closer this may be a decent alternative.

Anyway, on your daily CRD. Diggin’ the lift kit. I ordered a lift from Rocky Road Outfitters about two weeks ago. Heard some bad things about RRO on another forum, but I am cautiously optimistic. How long did it take for your kit to come in? Looks good on 245s I am planning on 265s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:05 am 
LOST Newbie

fjdiesel wrote:
Got my housings!! Awesome looking units!! Can't wait to at least get the one installed on the daily driver.

On a bad note, the computer guy who said he could delete the Skim said he can't now. His equipment won't communicate with this model....

Bummed about that. He is sending it back and I will finish the wiring keeping the Skim....
From what I can gather, these units give you the ability to replace the thermostat easily, and use a “normal” thermostat, correct?

I see the water pump needs to be replaced when doing the timing belt, is the thermostat in the same procedure? Or can it be swapped with out pulling the timing cover?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

Well.... the computer has been a little frustrating. I just finally got it back from the computer guy. So now I can try to figure out what I missed on the security system to keep the Skim. Hopefully we will have some forward motion now!!

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:24 am 
LOST Newbie

This is an awesome build. I’ve had my eye on an old FJ sitting in the weeds. Have thought many times in the past that a little diesel swap would be cool. I was thinking the Cummins R2.8l but they’re not very budget friendly. This little VM 2.8 would be a the perfect motor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:26 am 
LOST Newbie

fjdiesel wrote:
While I have been waiting for the computer to come back. The lift kit showed up from RockyRoad Outfitters. So, I got that installed. Rides really nice. Very pleased with the kit.

On another note, your daily looks great with the RRO lift. I ordered a lift from the 3 weeks ago, anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail. How long did it take for yours to come in?

What size tires are you running?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm 
LOST Member

RockinRam96 wrote:
This is an awesome build. I’ve had my eye on an old FJ sitting in the weeds. Have thought many times in the past that a little diesel swap would be cool. I was thinking the Cummins R2.8l but they’re not very budget friendly. This little VM 2.8 would be a the perfect motor.

I couldn't agree more!! I have a 1.9L TDI in it now that I swapped in. I love diesels. A couple issues I have with the tdi, not automatic trans friendly(my wife would like to drive it) and I am having a hard time keeping the tdi cool. It makes a lot of heat with the fuel turned up.

That is why I don't look at the R2.8. I don't want to pay Cummins for there name...

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

RockinRam96 wrote:
fjdiesel wrote:

On another note, your daily looks great with the RRO lift. I ordered a lift from the 3 weeks ago, anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail. How long did it take for yours to come in?

What size tires are you running?

Sorry for the long response..
When we did the lift, just changing the angles of everything, both lower balljoints boots tore, both upper balljoint boots, and the bushings tore in the rear upper control arm(ordered the adjustable one from Iron Rock) and while doing the install before I knew what was happening, the drivers side strut assy will hit the cv boot on install and tear that as well.....

So... I have now ordered upper control arms from RRO and just put the pass side in this morning(along with upper and lower balljoints and I pressed in the new lower bushing the strut bolts to.).... And trust me, the angle of the upper balljoint is soooooo much better, order them now and do at the same time as the lift. And if I were to do it again, thats what I would do..

A few days ago, I did the rear adjustable control arm to get rid of that clunk.

Tomorrow morning I plan to start on the drivers side. That will be the tougher one since I need to figure out how to make sure the strut does not contact the cv boot this time....

I am running 245/75r17 Toyo AT tires with Custom Offset wheels

The lift was roughly a month. But the rear shocks were a few weeks later. So I ran the stock shocks for a bit.

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:51 am 
LOST Member

RockinRam96 wrote:
fjdiesel wrote:

From what I can gather, these units give you the ability to replace the thermostat easily, and use a “normal” thermostat, correct?

I see the water pump needs to be replaced when doing the timing belt, is the thermostat in the same procedure? Or can it be swapped with out pulling the timing cover?

The factory thermostat housing is on the right side of the motor in the front. The upper radiator hose attaches to it. If you pull your air box and the intake hose to the turbo, then you can rove the whole thermostat housing. It comes out pretty easy. And yes, with the new housing you can use a replaceable thermostat. And you have temperature options if you want. It comes with a 203F and I am happy with that. It seems to be running better and better with the hotter operating temperature.

I have only had mine installed for about a week. It is a really quality piece of equipment. Pretty impressive when you get one in your hands. I would have to say that I think it should be the first mod on these CRDs.

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:09 pm 

fjdiesel wrote:
I would have to say that I think it should be the first mod on these CRDs.

I have to respectfully dissent on this one; yes it is a very nice thermostat (I have one) and is a very good upgrade as time and money allows.

But it is not near as important and necessary as to the reliable running and longevity of this engine as totally removing or blocking off the EGR system and installing an intank or inline fuel lift pump.
    Timing belt replacement should be NO. 1 if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt... A broken timing belt can cause catastrophic damage as this is an interference engine and repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor...
    Eliminating the EGR soot should be next, NO. 2 mod due to its highly detrimental effects on engine parts which greatly shortens overall engine life.
    Adding an intank lift fuel pump or inline pump should be NO. 3 as it eliminates "air in fuel" and fuel starvation, which is a big problem on these vehicles which can greatly affect reliability and driveability. :2cents:

To make and / or ensure that this unique vehicle is reliable as a daily driver and to ensure its long term serviceable, the list of mods & upgrades to consider is quite long.
Link to list:> viewtopic.php?p=916815#p916815

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
fjdiesel wrote:

I have to respectfully dissent on this one; yes it is a very nice thermostat (I have one) and is a very good upgrade as time and money allows.

But it is not near as important and necessary as to the reliable running and longevity of this engine as totally removing or blocking off the EGR system and installing an intank or inline fuel lift pump.
    Timing belt replacement should be NO. 1 if you have not done it or know if and / or when it was last done! Most replace the water pump as well when replacing the timing belt... A broken timing belt can cause catastrophic damage as this is an interference engine and repairs can get very expensive when considering replacement costs of damaged parts and labor...
    Eliminating the EGR soot should be next, NO. 2 mod due to its highly detrimental effects on engine parts which greatly shortens overall engine life.
    Adding an intank lift fuel pump or inline pump should be NO. 3 as it eliminates "air in fuel" and fuel starvation, which is a big problem on these vehicles which can greatly affect reliability and driveability. :2cents:

To make and / or ensure that this unique vehicle is reliable as a daily driver and to ensure its long term serviceable, the list of mods & upgrades to consider is quite long.

I agree to all that.
I should have said it should be in the top 5.

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:42 am 
LOST Newbie

What kind of parts availability is there out there for the FJs? Particularly replacement body panels and glass, or glass seals?

The FJ I’ve had my eye on has some rust on it and all the glass has been busted out. I am guessing I can go to any glass shop to have it replaced but seals may be a different story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:53 am 
LOST Member

fjdiesel wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
fjdiesel wrote:

I agree to all that.
I should have said it should be in the top 5.

I should expand on that....
If you are planning on doing the thermostat and you figure you will have the money in 6 months and the time to do it, order now... Jeff is a great guy, just very busy. I ordered mine in March and received in Oct... Again, wonderful pieces of art!! and Jeff is a great guy, he is just very busy.

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:50 am 

fjdiesel wrote:
Jeff is a great guy, he is just very busy. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

The extremely long lead time for his product in most cases requires a 6 months or better preorder and wait time. :cry:
But it certainly is the best thermostat that money can buy for the 2.8 VM Motori diesel engine.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 am 
LOST Member

I did get the drivers side done on my daily driver. The biggest problem was compressing the spring to make sure the strut didn't tear the boot on the cv axle.. Parts in, alignment is done. Drives great.

Now back to my conversion..

Got the computer back and started digging into what I missed on the security system... It runs for 3 seconds and shuts off. So right now I am tracing my wires for the Skim and the ASD..

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 am 
LOST Addict

fjdiesel wrote:

I am gratified to hear that you like your Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assemblies. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Did you manage to install one on your daily driver yet? If so, can you post photos?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am 
LOST Member

Can't really get a good photo. But I love the way it runs with the higher temp!!

Here is the best photo I can get with all the stuff in the way. lol.

Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Awesome swap! I'm looking at the liberty 2.8 or mercedes 3.0 for my project.
Keep the updates coming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:30 pm 

THREED wrote:
Awesome swap! I'm looking at the liberty 2.8 or mercedes 3.0 for my project.
Keep the updates coming!

Welcome to the LOSTJeeps Forum!
Please tell us about your Jeep, mods, upgrades, etc...
If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to questions or making comments.
Moderator,
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next