It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Warning Light
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

My son was returning from an 80 mile drive and he says just a few miles away the oil light and chime started coming on and it seemed it would go off with more rpm . I had visions of bad pump, low pressure, wearing bearings etc. I hoped it was just the oil level a little low and maybe climbing hill or something caused it. The next am I checked oil level and it was middle of min and max range. I drove it about 6 miles and NO OIL WARNING LIGHT appeared.

Then I remembered it was getting close to oil change interval and looked at overhead info display and it read zero miles to oil change interval (I set for 3125 miles to do by 4,000). I know it had just gotten to zero in the last 20 miles or so. I wonder if its being driven when the setting reaches zero if it alternates the warning light. Has anyone had this happen? I am not sure if I ever let change interval get to zero on one I was driving.

I changed the oil and filter and drove it another 20 miles and no OIL LIGHT came on and its been driven a few hundred miles since and no oil light. ?Intermittent sensor problem. I dont have oil pressure guage.

It could have an effect that the battery was reaching end of life and soon after started turning engine slower and replaced it probably a hundred miles after the OIL LIGHT had come on.

Any Ideas? ? Intermittent low voltage ?

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

Post subject: Re: Oil Warning Light
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Sounds like it might be the sensor going out - to confirm, I'd get the oil pressure test set from Harbor Freight (not that expensive) and connect that where the sensor is, and see what you get for oil pressure. Should be way over 20 psi on cold oil, and around 18 psi at idle on warm oil.

The oil pump is behind the front cover of the engine, it should be accessible with removing the timing components. But it is also a gear pump, there's not much that can go wrong with it.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Yep thats kinda what I thought especially after I drove it and no warning light for about 20 miles or more or idling. I have seen some very strange things when voltage got low both from alternator malfunction and bad battery though. That definitely seems to make the most sense to get a direct mechanical readout.
Thanks.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

You can also test the pressure right after the oil filter, the test point where, coincidentally, the oil pressure sensor is actually mounted, is easily accessed from underneath. The oil pressure sensor is the green/brass thing in the photo below. You may have to drop a skip plate or two to reach it:

Also, low voltages play all sorts of havoc with these computer monitored vehicles. Never trust anything that was flagged under low or erratic voltage conditions.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm 

The oil pressure sensors do go bad, several have reported having to replace them.
I had to replace mine a few years ago when the oil pressure light started coming on occasionally.
Replaced sensor, and the warning light never came on again while the engine is in operation..... :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:16 pm 
LOST Addict

My oil pressure light has not come back on since my OP. Guess its some good luck!.