It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Factory Towing Package??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

Ok I have done plenty of reading but I cannot figure this out. I have a hitch on my 2005 CRD. But no trailer connector. On the right rear (passenger) bumper area there is a square plug that plugs into a mysterious box mounted there. Is this related to the simple plug and play harness some people mention?

https://www.etrailer.com/p-20135.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Veh ... ls=.photos

I don't understand all this. Is there some mysterious factory plug that I can plug into? That is the closest I found

Thx!

Post subject: Re: Factory Towing Package??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 pm 
LOST Member

Now this is VERY interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91665

I do have XM radio but it does NOT receive a satellite signal. It doesn't work. I wonder if this module or wiring is the culprit? Interesting

Any idea on why XM radio wouldn't have any signal? It actually freezes/locks up the radio in my liberty when I try to access XM radio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 pm 
LOST Member

I did a ton more research now on the satellite radio thing. It just says "updating channels" and stays there indefinitely and kind of freezes the radio when it does this. Is this the module in bumper causing issues or maybe a bad antenna?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:06 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The updating channels thing can take a LONG time b/c it has to wait for the stream to send it the right data - and it is a receive-only design, so that data might be a while before it comes down in the stream. The best thing is to park the vehicle in the full sun, leave it with a battery charger on the battery and the key in the ON position to keep the radio on, and just go make a sandwich or something for a couple hours. At some point it will be on channel 184, and then if you can change the channels you have a lifetime-active unit. If you can't, you don't. But it should eventually be on channel 184.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 am 
LOST Member

Interesting. I will try that. What is a lifetime unit exactly? I had gotten email from xm/Sirius for super cheap offer for that radio. But it has never worked and when you put it on xm mode the radio kind of freezes. I’ll try again.

Any idea on crazy trailer wiring? I do have EVIC but not sure if I have that mysterious plug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:17 am 
LOST Member

Looks like updating went away but there is never any audio. Why? Bad antenna or module? Or the head unit? That module on bumper is part of this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
On XM, the default channel has audio so that you know the system works - Sirius never thought that far ahead, and the default channel 184 has nothing. You should be able to see what channel you are on, if you can change up or down that will prove that the tuner at least is receiving. If you got a letter about it though, that says it probably isn't a lifetime unit at all.

There is no module in the bumper that has anything to do with the satellite, the tuner is installed in the rear wall on the passenger side just behind and above the tire - from the inside, it is just below the power outlet.

Modules that could be in the bumper are the receiver for the TPMS (near the wheels obviously) or something non-standard for an unknown purpose. What does the box look like? How big is it? The sat unit DOES have a square plug, but also has an antenna connection that is called a "fakra" connector - round and plastic on the outside.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

Wow good info! It is probably the satellite tuner yes it’s in wheel well Area below power outlet. Near bumper. I didn’t notice an antenna connection but I’ll look again!

Also - when I tune to satellite and 184 no audio, the volume starts going haywire. Like it doesn’t seem to work. Once I switch to fm or am it’s fine. This made me suspect bad satellite module or something. Very strange it actually goes down in volume only not up - only in Sirius mode. How do I get the serial number? I guess I could try a trial they had a super good deal for this jeep only came out to like 4 dollars a month.

How do I know if I have a factory towing package ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

Lol. I gambled and did the 99 for 3 years. Left on 184 a while. No audio. Waited about 10 mins and it allowed me to go to channel 2 etc and volume works fine now. Very strange. Cool to have it in old jeep! Now just gotta figure out trailer thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, the volume-down-only when the sat is not connected is an obnoxious "feature" of these. That is something with the head unit rather than the service though. At least you figured out the unit number and were able to get it activated!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:38 pm 
LOST Member

I looked again for mysterious factory plug but I couldn’t find it. I’m not convinced it isn’t there and I just don’t know what looking at. I did see a small plug with two wires going through it below license plate. No ideas here? I’m taking a trip in a week or so and need to pull a small trailer :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:19 am 
LOST Member

Gosh, OK I figured this out I think. I'm making a small assumption based on my findings, and writing this down for records for all since there isn't much info out there:

I found a site that said remove the plastic passenger side area in the rear of the jeep. I did that and found the huge box looking thing with antenna connector, THAT is the satellite receiver! Now below that in the wheel well bumper area is a small black box I think that is just a dummy box that has this factory plug plugged into it, that is what is supposed to go to the prewired harness thing. I thought that was the satellite, strange it is plugged into something. But it keeps the connectors clean I suppose. I pulled off the passenger rear taillight assembly and it's kind of ghetto factory wired with quick connect clips that run down to that little plug. I guess that is there factory towing option instead of a real clean y splice type of setup. This little plug and blank plugin box thing is located in the passenger rear bumper lower wheel well area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:17 am 
LOST Member

Since no one has mentioned this, I will. Are you sure your Liberty actually has a factory trailer tow package (there used to be a portal on the Jeep corporate website where you could enter your vin and obtain the build sheet for your vehicle, showing all the installed factory options)? Maybe not, even though it has a hitch installed. Chrysler had to install trailer hitches on all Liberties to comply with a safety recall notice regarding the fuel tank. The hitch is crash protection for the tank. On mine, the recall hitch is even placarded to not use it as a hitch. If this is the case on your Liberty, you can get one of the trailer light harnesses from a number of suppliers to install a trailer light plug on your Jeep. They do install through that rat's nest of factory wiring behind / beneath the right tail light.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 am 
LOST Member

No I am not sure. It is a real Chrysler hitch though. That’s why this is all so confusing. The plug that is plugged into mysterious box behind bumper comes from wires from the taillight so has to be it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:35 pm 
LOST Member

I have a 2005 CRD with the factory tow package. It came with the hitch and a 7 pin connector with a 7 to 4 pin adapter. There's supposed to be a few extra relays behind the netted cubby panel in the cargo area. I think they run the extra bulb's circuitry for the trailer. Wire for a trailer brake controller was behind the left panel in the driver's footwell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 am 
LOST Member

Can you see if it’s plugged into a small box on passenger rear bumper / back of wheel well area ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 am 
LOST Member

Yea I’m not worried about brakes for now. Can add that later. I don’t know if +12V exists at plug but supposed does because I have the EVIC overhead computer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:24 pm 
LOST Addict

To your earlier question about sirius xm radio. Many of the at least 2006 Jeep CRD when bought new had a lifetime free subscription to virus XM service and of course they came with the antenna and other electronics needed. My 2 radios eventually malfunctioned. I am not sure if I bought another radio if I could get the free service or not since it may have been tied to an electronic id etc. I can still get something on another CRD. The ones equipped with satellite receivers etc have a small black antenna mounted on the middle of the roof above back window.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:26 pm 
LOST Addict

jagster936 wrote:
Yea I’m not worried about brakes for now. Can add that later. I don’t know if +12V exists at plug but supposed does because I have the EVIC overhead computer.

Tge brake controller is easy to add just the blue wire mentioned and connecting to a wire in harness under left passenger seat though there are other ways.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:36 pm 
LOST Addict

jagster936 wrote:
No I am not sure. It is a real Chrysler hitch though. That’s why this is all so confusing. The plug that is plugged into mysterious box behind bumper comes from wires from the taillight so has to be it.

The box you are referring to is likely a conversion kit that attaches to wiring going to the taillights that provides the input for a 4 way flat connector for taillights brake lights blinkers and running lights NOT a brake controller.
As I think you linked to E trailer does sell one or 2 that will work. At least one installs by simply removing a connector to driver tailight and plugging it into the adapter and plugging adapter into where that original plug went. I believe there was another single wire to connect also. ? to a wire on passenger side. I believe they also have a kit without the convenient plug.

I believe ALL CRD s that came with a factory tow package have a square box for the 7 pin connection about a foot left of the receiver hitch.,