It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC Shudder, Mild Warning or Impending Failure?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been looking around for some time and really can't find an answer to my question. Recently while driving my 2005 CRD through the mountains I got the dreaded TC shudder. I've done enough reading here to know what it was. I immediately backed off the throttle and pressed the Overdrive button, taking it out of Overdrive. Shudder ceased and I could get back on the throttle. On my day to day driving I have never had the shudder. In fact since owning the vehicle for the past year I've only gotten the shudder two or three times, and only in heavy load situations. My question is, can I wait and upgrade the torque converter at my convenience (sometime in the next year) or once the shudder starts, its only going to get worse and should be dealt with as soon as possible.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cummins In Tank Lift Pump
Flowmaster Muffler
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: TC Shudder, Mild Warning or Impending Failure?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 pm 

As long as you quickly prevent the shudder by pressing the OD lockout switch like you did, you can drive it a long time like this as many have done so.
You will probably only experience the shudder when going uphill in 5th with the TC locked up.

When you do get around to upgrading to a better torque converter, get a good one like the SunCoast or one of the others some members on here have had good reports on.
You don't want to do it but once, so get a good one that will hold the torque of the engine.
Also plan on replacing the front pump assembly while you got the transmission out; there are several wear items, plungers & bores, that get worn out and cause problems with age.
Many also install the TransGo Kit at the same time of updating the TC to help firm up the shifts and it raises the transmissions line pressure to help hold the TC clutches firmer when in 5th gear overdrive with the TC locked up.

I personally have two SunCoast TC's, one in my Jeep and the other behind the Cummins in my Dodge. They are the Cadillac of TC's although they are pricey. :lol:
Need more guidance on upgrades, just ask, there are many good members on here willing to advice who have been there, done that.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:47 am 
LOST Member

I have a question about the f37 update. Is this in the TCM or ECM? Looking into a way to get rid off it.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:51 am 

synthetic-oil wrote:
I have a question about the f37 update. Is this in the TCM or ECM? Looking into a way to get rid off it.

It is in the TCM!
If you can find a TCM that has never had the f37 update reflash or find a TCM that has the GDE reflash, you can restore shift points/TC lockups back to the lower speeds.
The GDE reflashed TCM's have become very valuable since he is no longer providing anything.
The TCM's are simply Plug & Play, no vin or SKIM involved with them.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
As long as you quickly prevent the shudder by pressing the OD lockout switch like you did, you can drive it a long time like this as many have done so.
You will probably only experience the shudder when going uphill in 5th with the TC locked up.

When you do get around to upgrading to a better torque converter, get a good one like the SunCoast or one of the others some members on here have had good reports on.
You don't want to do it but once, so get a good one that will hold the torque of the engine.
Also plan on replacing the front pump assembly while you got the transmission out; there are several wear items, plungers & bores, that get worn out and cause problems with age.
Many also install the TransGo Kit at the same time of updating the TC to help firm up the shifts and it raises the transmissions line pressure to help hold the TC clutches firmer when in 5th gear overdrive with the TC locked up.

I personally have two SunCoast TC's, one in my Jeep and the other behind the Cummins in my Dodge. They are the Cadillac of TC's although they are pricey. :lol:
Need more guidance on upgrades, just ask, there are many good members on here willing to advice who have been there, done that.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely replace the front pump assembly when doing the job. I will also look for a quality torque converter, but the Suncoast may be out of my league. According to their website, the TC is currently going for $1,495.00 plus a $400.00 core charge. I have a call into them to make sure I have that price correct. Right now I'm leaning toward Florida TC. From what I've read it seems to be aquality unit at less than 1/2 the cost of a Suncoast. Plus, I'm a rather mundane driver. No off-road, no racing, the only thing I will be doing is pulling a trailer on rare occasions. I'm primarily interested in economy. I do a lot of road trips.

Flowmaster Muffler
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

In my search for replacement torque converters I had pretty much ruled out Suncoast do to the cost. I went to their website, torque converters for the 545RFE. They showed two options. Both were $1,495.00 with a $500.00 core charge. A little too rich for me. Today, I went to Sasquatch Parts and see they have a Suncoast High Performance Torque converter for $1,049.00 which "Includes" the $200.00 core charge, making the converter $849.00, Now that's on the upper side of do-able, but it is do-able. Only $200.00 above the Florida Torque Converter which was my fall back choice. My question, what is the difference in the Torque Converters, if both are Suncoast, to justify a $646.00 price difference?

Flowmaster Muffler
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
synthetic-oil wrote:

It is in the TCM!
If you can find a TCM that has never had the f37 update reflash or find a TCM that has the GDE reflash, you can restore shift points/TC lockups back to the lower speeds.
The GDE reflashed TCM's have become very valuable since he is no longer providing anything.
The TCM's are simply Plug & Play, no vin or SKIM involved with them.

:SOMBRERO:

It has to be in the ECM as well as the torque is also derated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:43 pm 

PZKW108 wrote:
It has to be in the ECM as well as the torque is also derated.

You are correct, I forgot about the torque reduction, I was thanking about the shift points that was changed. :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch