It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.8 Duramax head on CRD block?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Now before we get into the silliness of "You don't need that in a CRD" just know that this is a serious question and I'm trying to do some research on an engine build I'm planning for next year for my CRD. I'm looking at dumping around $15k into the engine and transmission to try get ANOTHER 300k miles on it. I also really want to see how much fun I can pump into a CRD as I'm also going to be building a set of dana 60s, links, bumpers and other popular jeep body armor products for this thing to help bring attention to the new shop that I'm starting.

So here is what I can only seem to find. From what I can see on the 2.8 LWN, the head seems to have quite a few upgrades on it. The overall exhaust chambers seem to be opened up and should flow much better, the exhaust manifold seems to match (with an port for a pyrometer). There's also (obviously) an updated fuel system.

The heads run a larger 1/2" head bolt and the block would need machined, but that can be done when the Carrillo rods are installed.

My question really would be where to look to see how difficult it would be to adapt to the newer fuel system to the older PCM (if at all possible).

My ultimate goal for this would basically have all of the engine updates of the new LWN to run a SDP compound turbo kit on my CRD.

V6 Airbox

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

Post subject: Re: 2.8 Duramax head on CRD block?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:54 pm 

Blueoval_boy_64 wrote:
Now before we get into the silliness of "You don't need that in a CRD" just know that this is a serious question and I'm trying to do some research on an engine build I'm planning for next year for my CRD. I'm looking at dumping around $15k into the engine and transmission to try get ANOTHER 300k miles on it. I also really want to see how much fun I can pump into a CRD as I'm also going to be building a set of dana 60s, links, bumpers and other popular jeep body armor products for this thing to help bring attention to the new shop that I'm starting.

So here is what I can only seem to find. From what I can see on the 2.8 LWN, the head seems to have quite a few upgrades on it. The overall exhaust chambers seem to be opened up and should flow much better, the exhaust manifold seems to match (with an port for a pyrometer). There's also (obviously) an updated fuel system.

The heads run a larger 1/2" head bolt and the block would need machined, but that can be done when the Carrillo rods are installed.

My question really would be where to look to see how difficult it would be to adapt to the newer fuel system to the older PCM (if at all possible).

My ultimate goal for this would basically have all of the engine updates of the new LWN to run a SDP compound turbo kit on my CRD.

My understanding is the baby duramax 2.8 uses a Delphi injection system and controls so swapping over to a Bosch system would not be possible.
Talk to Yeti on this forum, he is the expert on tunes.
Also I believe Sir Sam on this forum was trying to build a stand alone control system for the 2.8 CRD engine to put it into a Toyota Land Cruiser. You may want to reach out to him.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

wwdiesel wrote:
My understanding is the baby duramax 2.8 uses a Delphi injection system and controls so swapping over to a Bosch system would not be possible.
Talk to Yeti on this forum, he is the expert on tunes.
Also I believe Sir Sam on this forum was trying to build a stand alone control system for the 2.8 CRD engine to put it into a Toyota Land Cruiser. You may want to reach out to him.

Hopefully one of them chime in.

My big question I guess is with a custom harness and finding a way to swap over the CRD sensors to the LWN fuel system, could the factory PCM control the newer pump/injectors. I know it wouldn't operate as well as the newer PCM, but would it be be a big upgrade from the 06.

V6 Airbox

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 pm 

Blueoval_boy_64 wrote:
Hopefully one of them chime in.
My big question I guess is with a custom harness and finding a way to swap over the CRD sensors to the LWN fuel system, could the factory PCM control the newer pump/injectors. I know it wouldn't operate as well as the newer PCM, but would it be be a big upgrade from the 06.

You can PM or email either one or both of them. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

Following...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

I realize this is a month old post, but I felt the need to comment since I have experience with both platforms.

You'd be wasting an incredible amount of time and money trying to do this. The lwn isn't that great, and the crd fuel system is better than the lwn's. In fact, it's been pretty common for the lwns to completely lose an injector and cause a catastrophic failure. Even with a built bottom end, they don't hold together after 350hp, the r428's tunnel block is stronger.

Also, sdp's compound kit is trash. Every kit has blown the engine its on, even the engine sdp built to build their kit on. The lwns turbo is not setup for the role it plays in compounds, the stock liberty turbo is a pretty good match as is.

I have everything needed for compounds, just a matter of getting the time to get it done.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.