It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Liberty CRD, No Start, No Usual Codes.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:39 am 
LOST Member

Well this may be a bit of a long post, but I am looking for ideas from those who have gone down this rabbit hole before.
History: 2006 Liberty CRD, a couple of times while I was out of the country, it quit on the wife and left her stranded (in her words, all the lights on the dash lit up). Fortunately, both times she was able to get it started and home after sitting for a bit. At this point I have no idea if it threw any codes, I am still trying to diagnose this over the phone. Ordered a Crankshaft Position Sensor as these symptoms would point to that. Also, I managed to talk my wife through (over the phone) bleeding the air out of the fuel filter just in case. Neither of my CRD's have lift pumps (on the list) but do not suffer from air ingress. After that ordeal, she when for a test drive and it quit once or twice again, but she managed to limp it home and in the garage, where it would not even crank. At this point it had to wait until I got home.

First observation, with ignition on, waiting for glow plug sequence, I notice a couple of many unusual warning warning lights. The ESP light remains on, as well as the traction control disabled (which would not change state when the button is toggled). Also, the security system warning lamp stays lit solid. The engine will not crank from the ignition switch. The only code present was P0725 which indicates a type of RPM error, which I attributed to (maybe in error) to the last time it ran badly, limping home. I cleared that code and it did not return.

The starter relay was by-passed and the starter cranks fine, but no start. It appears the ECM is not satisfied for a run command.

I have inspected the wire harness in all the usual places and all of the grounds that I can find and found no issues. For good measure, I replaced the ignition switch and actuator mechanism as I had them on hand. Still no change.

At this point I rechecked for codes and none were present. Of note though, when I select live data, I do get an RPM value of zero, as expected, and a TPS position of 25%. The TPS tracks to 100% when the go pedal is depressed.

Then, curious about the ESP and Traction Control lights, I checked for ABS codes and found the following: U0100 (loss of comm), U0401 (invalid data), U140E (improper configuration), C2202 (VIN mismatch) & C2100 (low voltage). The final low voltage code was probably due to the battery being low by this point. I cleared all the codes, charged the battery fully and rechecked for codes. They all returned except for the C2100. It seems to me, although this may be an incorrect assumption that this is displaying loss of communication between various modules, however the fact that the code reader can connect successfully indicates the CanBus link is valid.

In following through the FSM procedures for many, but not all of these indicators, it is appearing as a failed ECM module. Unfortunately both of my CRD's have GDE tunes, so if I have to replace an ECM I am not sure if I can get that replaced due to the current EPA over reaching over sight. Although both vehicles are registered in Ontario. More complications to the issue at hand.

Now this is what I propose as my next step. Since I have two CRD's, I can swap the questionable ECM into the CRD that runs and see if it will start (I know, for only a few seconds due to the VIN / Key mismatch), and pull the codes. I do not want to swap the functional ECM into the broken Jeep for fear of frosting the good ECM.

I will reach out to Keith at GDE for his suggestions as well.

Any comments and suggestions from the board are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 2006 Liberty CRD, No Start, No Usual Codes.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:14 pm 
LOST Member

Further to my initial query, I just got off of the phone with Keith at GDE. There is no way to have an existing Liberty CRD tune replaced due to the EPA troubles, even though the vehicles are registered in Ontario. He indicated that their equipment and files do not exist anymore. Most unfortunate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 pm 
LOST Member

mrhemi wrote:
Well this may be a bit of a long post, but I am looking for ideas from those who have gone down this rabbit hole before.
History: 2006 Liberty CRD, a couple of times while I was out of the country, it quit on the wife and left her stranded (in her words, all the lights on the dash lit up). Fortunately, both times she was able to get it started and home after sitting for a bit. At this point I have no idea if it threw any codes, I am still trying to diagnose this over the phone. Ordered a Crankshaft Position Sensor as these symptoms would point to that. Also, I managed to talk my wife through (over the phone) bleeding the air out of the fuel filter just in case. Neither of my CRD's have lift pumps (on the list) but do not suffer from air ingress. After that ordeal, she when for a test drive and it quit once or twice again, but she managed to limp it home and in the garage, where it would not even crank. At this point it had to wait until I got home.

First observation, with ignition on, waiting for glow plug sequence, I notice a couple of many unusual warning warning lights. The ESP light remains on, as well as the traction control disabled (which would not change state when the button is toggled). Also, the security system warning lamp stays lit solid. The engine will not crank from the ignition switch. The only code present was P0725 which indicates a type of RPM error, which I attributed to (maybe in error) to the last time it ran badly, limping home. I cleared that code and it did not return.

The starter relay was by-passed and the starter cranks fine, but no start. It appears the ECM is not satisfied for a run command.

I have inspected the wire harness in all the usual places and all of the grounds that I can find and found no issues. For good measure, I replaced the ignition switch and actuator mechanism as I had them on hand. Still no change.

At this point I rechecked for codes and none were present. Of note though, when I select live data, I do get an RPM value of zero, as expected, and a TPS position of 25%. The TPS tracks to 100% when the go pedal is depressed.

Then, curious about the ESP and Traction Control lights, I checked for ABS codes and found the following: U0100 (loss of comm), U0401 (invalid data), U140E (improper configuration), C2202 (VIN mismatch) & C2100 (low voltage). The final low voltage code was probably due to the battery being low by this point. I cleared all the codes, charged the battery fully and rechecked for codes. They all returned except for the C2100. It seems to me, although this may be an incorrect assumption that this is displaying loss of communication between various modules, however the fact that the code reader can connect successfully indicates the CanBus link is valid.

In following through the FSM procedures for many, but not all of these indicators, it is appearing as a failed ECM module. Unfortunately both of my CRD's have GDE tunes, so if I have to replace an ECM I am not sure if I can get that replaced due to the current EPA over reaching over sight. Although both vehicles are registered in Ontario. More complications to the issue at hand.

Now this is what I propose as my next step. Since I have two CRD's, I can swap the questionable ECM into the CRD that runs and see if it will start (I know, for only a few seconds due to the VIN / Key mismatch), and pull the codes. I do not want to swap the functional ECM into the broken Jeep for fear of frosting the good ECM. Update: I swapped the ECM from the problem Liberty into the other functional Liberty. Good news, it started and ran for a few seconds before the security feature shut it down due to VIN mismatch. No codes were present other than the VIN mismatch. So, it appears my ECM, with a GDE tune is good, although now the search continues for the comm error.

I will reach out to Keith at GDE for his suggestions as well.

Any comments and suggestions from the board are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 am 
LOST Member

Could be a wiring problem! :(

The 2006 CRD has a known problem where the Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket presses the main wiring harness down onto the Firewall which cause shorts through to ground or shorts between some random wires....not sure if you have checked this area!

Undo this Mounting Bracket and inspect the wiring harness in that area for any damage! :shock:

Has your new Crank Sensor arrived yet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:14 am 
LOST Member

Billybob wrote:
Could be a wiring problem! :(

The 2006 CRD has a known problem where the Fuel Filter Mounting Bracket presses the main wiring harness down onto the Firewall which cause shorts through to ground or shorts between some random wires....not sure if you have checked this area!

Undo this Mounting Bracket and inspect the wiring harness in that area for any damage! :shock:

Has your new Crank Sensor arrived yet?

As stated in my original post, I am familiar with the wire harness issues and have found none. Which makes this particularly frustrating. The cascading failures seem to have a common point, the BCM, but without access to a Starscan tool or equivalent it is difficult to diagnos at this point.

The CPS finally got here yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:53 am 
LOST Addict

I have a possible help to at least one of your problems but not without other changes. I will pm you. I am sure you have also already done this but I would check and clean all the grounds especially the one beneath the battery tray not sure if its on 2006 but is on 2005.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 am 

Two of the ground locations to check:
There are a few others, another one is over by the transmission TCM, I don't have a picture of it, but all ground locations are listed and shown in the Factory Service Manual.
FSM are available for viewing and downloading at:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Two of the ground locations to check:
There are a few others, another one is over by the transmission TCM, I don't have a picture of it, but all ground locations are listed and shown in the Factory Service Manual.
FSM are available for viewing and downloading at:> http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Thanks,

I have a copy of the 6000+ page FSM, I make use of it frequently.

I have hit all of the grounds and found no issues. This is a low mileage, corrosion free CRD, but I still went through them. Also, I inspected the wire harness behind the fuel filter and found no issues, although I wonder if a change was made to the bracket at some point in the production run as both of my CRD's have ample clearance to the wire harness.

What I have found, that hopefully is the culprit, is a short in the Can Bus network, between the C+ & C-. This would corrupt communications between modules. Currently my scanner will not even communicate with the ECM (which has been intermittent), but will communicate with the ABS module, which shows communication related error codes. I can take the ECU and plug it into my other CRD and it will start and run until the VIN mis-match shuts it down. My scanner will communicate with the ECU when plugged into that CRD and shows no codes other than the VIN mis-match.

Of note, the short in the Can Bus network has been narrowed down to a section in the harness that is in the dash only. I will be working on that today and will keep the forum updated.

Thanks to all who have offered assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:39 am 
LOST Member

After many hours of tracing wiring and following troubleshooting paths in the FSM, the culprit was found to be the ASD relay. It pulled in but had high resistance across the load contacts, causing unreliable or non existent power to the ECM, which leads to many communication errors. The trouble shooting sequence that ultimately solved this is actually located in Section 9 (Engine) of the FSM, not Section 8 (Electrical and Electronics Modules).

A word of advice for anyone faced with similar challenge, as I made this mistake which caused me much delay and repeat testing. My 40 year old test light had given up the ghost so I was using my multi-meter to check power and grounds instead of the test light called out in the FSM. This caused a few false passes as the meter does not instill a load on the circuit. After finally going out and purchasing a new test light, testing was much more productive. Also, this needs to be an archaic incandescent test light, not a newer LED type, as the same problem will occur, insufficient electrical load to properly test the circuit.

Had I not had the information available from scanner read error codes I may have solved this quicker by just swapping out relays as a backyard trouble shooting approach, however, when all available trouble codes indicate communication errors, that was the path I followed. Also, having a second CRD available was immensely helpful as well.

For the time being the ASD relay has been replaced by a Chinesium substitute. I have a couple of Bosch units on the way via Amazon. For some reason this relay shows up as no longer serviced fro Chrysler Canada. It is not an uncommon relay, just finding one that is not from China is.

Thanks to all who offered suggestion and help via the forum and PM's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm 

So very glad you found the problem. :BANANA:
Swapping relays can be one of the more easy and simple tests that can be performed, especially for the ASD relay and the others of the same size since there are three other relays of the same type and size in the Power Distribution Center, i.e. Blower, and Low & High Speed Radiator Fan that can be swapped out for testing purposes.

Agree on old school 12v test light, they are hard to beat when it comes to testing some circuits, grounds, etc... digital test lights and multi meters can be very misleading when trying to test circuits and grounds under actual load. I actually have three different automotive bulbs with different amperages each labeled for testing circuits that need to be under load. :wink:

As for the relay, the OEM part no. is: 04795068AA for the relay. Found an OEM Chrysler one on eBay for ~$18 bucks, slightly different part number, but the same relay. (see picture)
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/152797621006?h ... SwhQ5XQbtF
AutoZone also has the relay in stock, part no.: Duralast Relay 19273 > https://www.autozone.com/batteries-star ... /12861_0_0
It is a very typical 5 pin power relay, nothing real special about it.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve