It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD only starts with starter fluid.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Well, it didnt start. Maybe the battery was a bit low.
Could not even get it to fire on starter fluid.
It has sat through a wet winter/spring with a few inches of water under it at times.

I did a check on codes.
P0107 ~ Manifold absolute/Barometric pressure circuit low.
P2294 ~ Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 control circuit.
P0193 ~ Fuel Rail pressure sensor A circuit high.
When I attempted to clear the codes, the P0193 cleared.
The others remained.

One thing that I have found is that despite the jeep being a 2006 export RHD, it has the front control module behind the battery. I dont know what effect that has on things. Maybe the next step will be to remove the plug on it & clean it all.
Any suggestions will always be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:14 am 
LOST Member

layback40 wrote:
Well, it didnt start. Maybe the battery was a bit low.
Could not even get it to fire on starter fluid.
It has sat through a wet winter/spring with a few inches of water under it at times.

I did a check on codes.
P0107 ~ Manifold absolute/Barometric pressure circuit low.
P2294 ~ Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 control circuit.
P0193 ~ Fuel Rail pressure sensor A circuit high.
When I attempted to clear the codes, the P0193 cleared.
The others remained.

One thing that I have found is that despite the jeep being a 2006 export RHD, it has the front control module behind the battery. I dont know what effect that has on things. Maybe the next step will be to remove the plug on it & clean it all.
Any suggestions will always be appreciated.

That is very weird that you have the FCM installed.....you probably got one of the last 2005 CRDs made....check your VIN next to the windscreen to see what year your Jeep actually is!

The 2005 CRD was the only model to come out with the FCM....I think after the problems it caused they went back to previous styles without that FCM module.

Definitely worth cleaning the connector contacts as the module is exposed to the elements but from all the time I have spent on various Jeep Forums it seems that the FCM is a problem child!

They state that the FCM merely passes all of the Busses through it without any drivers being involved but some owners have opened the FCM and it is filled with Transistors and other drivers!

You will definitely need to use the 2005 KJ Service Manuals, Wiring Diagrams etc. to try trace your issue!

I see on most Jeep Sites that the Dealers do not stock the FCM Module and the Breaker Yards seldom have any used FCM Modules available....I would advise you to try find a new or used one! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:21 am 
LOST Junkie

I have a couple of questions about the FCM.
This one has 2 plugs (male) on the module.
The larger one has a multi pin socket (female) connected.
The smaller one is not used.
The pins in the smaller plug are exposed, no blank socket on it & a locust (insect) jammed in there.
Could I be so lucky as to have the insect causing the problem?
Will put it back in once the insect is fully removed.
Do they normally have a blank socket plugged in to the unused plug?
Probably will make up a plastic cover to keep things out.
Do the FCM's in the USA have the second plug & is it used?
I see the FCM is spot welded closed.
Removing the plastic relief valve, it doesnt look cooked & there is no smell.
I have my fingers crossed.
Anyone who has any knowledge of the FCM, I would appreciate your comments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:14 am 
LOST Member

Are you on http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com .....not a very busy site these days but someone may be able to assist you with ideas or where to get hold of an FCM module! :wink:

User "glend" basically ran the site for years...very knowledgeable person!
He announced a while back that he was giving up on being involved with the site as he was too busy with other matters but it seems he could not stay away for long as I see he is still contributing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:47 am 

I believe the secondary connector on the FCM is only used for programing and testing purposes.
All versions of the FCM that I have ever seen have the smaller secondary connector.
The factory service manual does not even show or list the pins on the smaller secondary connector.
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:45 pm 
LOST Member

For my 2005 FCM, I took it out, cleaned the contactors and smeared dielectric grease on the contacts to help keep good electrical connections. For the smaller connector I took some non-conductive foam and cut it to shape and stuffed it into the connector plug slot and then RTV it in-place/sealed up the connector. Then used same RTV and applied it around the seem of the FCM to keep out water/dust/oil as a precautionary measure. Seems to be holding up well since I live in the desert and have lots of sand and dust flying around.

If I ever find another 2005 CRD in the junkyards or someone parting it out near me, I would highly encourage anyone to grab the FCM out of it since they are no longer available and I have not heard of anyone refurbishing the old units. They are getting harder and harder to find.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:43 am 
LOST Junkie

The dead has been resurrected!
Have been trying to fix it for many months.
I didnt want to just replace every sensor etc.
Originally swapped many bits off my dead 2007.
Nothing really helped.
Purchased a Bosch rail pressure control solenoid from the UK. When I put it in & cranked, fuel poured out the outlet when engine was cranked.
Did a charge back with PayPal as the seller vanished after I tried to contact him about the guarantee. PayPal got me a full refund & I kept the solenoid.
Tried blinding the solenoid & sometimes it would start, but not run properly.
Checked the output voltage of the pressure sensor & found it was dead. Tried the other one I had & it was a little better.
Couldnt get over 1.5 volts when it started.
Got a set of Chinese Bosch injectors as they were cheap. They are still in the jeep.
Purchased a pressure sensor for a Hyundai. It arrived today. Fitted it & it started & ran.
Showing a code every now and again for low voltage EGR. The EGR is their but exhaust is blinded off & throttle butterfly removed.
Will have a Hyundai solenoid next week. By then I hope to have done about 500 miles by the time the new solenoid arrives.
At the moment the pressure sensor is only getting up to about 2.6v. So it looks like its down on pressure a bit.
Will wait & see how it is next week.
Need to give a BIG thankyou to WW & Dean as they have been my partners in solving this. I would have been lost without them.
Moral of this story is to measure the output voltage of the rail pressure sensor.