It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 CRD INTERMITTENT STARTING ISSUE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Everyone - am new to the forum - nice to meet you. I

am based in Perth Australia, if anyone has any local recommendations re: mechanics please chime in!

I have a 2005 CRD KJ, brought new, 180K on the clock. I have recently had all 4 injectors replaced but have been experiencing an intermittent starting issue - the engine turns over but doesn't take, it's almost as if there is no fuel (when there clearly is). Weirdly if I leave the car for a few hours, it will start again. I usually see the issue whilst on a multi-stop trip - a cold start in the morning is typically fine.

I have had new glow plugs put in a few weeks ago along with the new bosch injectors.

If I prime the fuel system manually, it's always low pressure, but I am unclear if this is normal and the priming only is relevant when the car is running?

I have read that an inline fuel pump can help with this issue or it may be a crack shaft sensor issue - any advice I can give me local mechanic about what to look for / do - would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Post subject: Re: 2005 CRD INTERMITTENT STARTING ISSUE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:08 pm 

Moderator wrote:
Welcome to the LOSTJeeps Forum!
Please tell us about your Jeep, mods, upgrades, etc...
If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature and list your vehicle mods, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to questions or making comments.
If you have not read the NOOB Guide, please do so as there is a lot of very useful information contained in it.
Then post your questions, concerns, comments, if you have any.
:SOMBRERO:

As to your questions,
Most likely a bad crankshaft sensor based on what you described. They always seem to fail as they warm up in temperature. Once they cool off, they often go back to working.
Do you have any codes (DTCs) currently?

As to fuel issue; if you install an intank fuel pump inside the fuel tank, it will cure your fuel feed issues forever.
Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift Pump Install Jeep Liberty CRD
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

An inline fuel pump will also work, but if there is a leak anywhere on the suction side of the fuel pump, it will still suck air into the fuel system and cause problems.
The beauty of an INTANK fuel pump is, it puts everything under positive fuel pressure from inside the fuel tank all the way to the back of the CP3 injection pump.
And, if there is a leak anywhere on the fuel feed system, it will be self evident very quickly as fuel will leak out instead of air being sucked into the fuel system. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:31 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Moderator wrote:
Welcome to the LOSTJeeps Forum!
Please tell us about your Jeep, mods, upgrades, etc...
If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature and list your vehicle mods, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to questions or making comments.
If you have not read the NOOB Guide, please do so as there is a lot of very useful information contained in it.
Then post your questions, concerns, comments, if you have any.
:SOMBRERO:

As to your questions,
Most likely a bad crankshaft sensor based on what you described. They always seem to fail as they warm up in temperature. Once they cool off, they often go back to working.
Do you have any codes (DTCs) currently?

As to fuel issue; if you install an intank fuel pump inside the fuel tank, it will cure your fuel feed issues forever.
Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift Pump Install Jeep Liberty CRD
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

An inline fuel pump will also work, but if there is a leak anywhere on the suction side of the fuel pump, it will still suck air into the fuel system and cause problems.
The beauty of an INTANK fuel pump is, it puts everything under positive fuel pressure from inside the fuel tank all the way to the back of the CP3 injection pump.
And, if there is a leak anywhere on the fuel feed system, it will be self evident very quickly as fuel will leak out instead of air being sucked into the fuel system. :wink:

Another plus for the "in tank", the quick connect fuel line are design to work on positive pressure !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you all.

Re: codes - the engine warning light is also on and I got P0700 / (c6) P-2706 (MS Solenoid Circuit) / Transmission Control Module

Note: Occasionally the OD kicks out when traveling on long open roads at > 100kph and the RPM goes up 700 or so. if I stop the car, turn it off and re-start, the OD is back working again, until it kicks out. So I am curious if this is the Transmission Control Module or something more sinister?

On the in-tank fuel pump, something a local mechanic should feel confident doing as an after-market modification?

What do you think is a reasonable hour quote for the labor by a mechanic shop on the crankshaft sensor and separately the in-tank fuel pump retrofit?

Thank you again - your help is really appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:05 pm 

andrewhall007au wrote:
Thank you all.
Re: codes - the engine warning light is also on and I got P0700 / (c6) P-2706 (MS Solenoid Circuit) / Transmission Control Module
Note: Occasionally the OD kicks out when traveling on long open roads at > 100kph and the RPM goes up 700 or so. if I stop the car, turn it off and re-start, the OD is back working again, until it kicks out. So I am curious if this is the Transmission Control Module or something more sinister?
On the in-tank fuel pump, something a local mechanic should feel confident doing as an after-market modification?
What do you think is a reasonable hour quote for the labor by a mechanic shop on the crankshaft sensor and separately the in-tank fuel pump retrofit?
Thank you again - your help is really appreciated.

Any good mechanic should be able to install an intank fuel pump and wire it up from the factory harness under the rear seat to the top of the fuel tank fuel module.

As to a crankshaft sensor, about a 30 minute job or less. Access it from the bottom of the vehicle. It is located on the right side of the engine block.
But since you are down under and it is right had drive, it may take a little longer. (never worked on a right hand drive one) :lol:
See CS picture below!

You need to find a good transmission mechanic/shop who can help diagnose the root cause of your transmission issues.
P0700 code:
P0700 is a generic OBD-II code that is indicating a fault within the transmission control system. This code may be seen with shift solenoid codes or other transmission codes.
What the P0700 code means
P0700 is set when the PCM detects a malfunction in the transmission control system. This malfunction causes the vehicle to set a Check Engine Light and trigger a failsafe mode. Once the failsafe mode is set it will remain until the fault is repaired or normal operation is detected.
What causes the P0700 code?
    Faulty transmission control module
    Transmission valve body fault
    Shift solenoid issues
    Open or short in the wiring harness

P2706 is a code for the multi-select solenoid pack, saying it has an open circuit.
Possible causes are:
    A bad solenoid
    A bad connector
    A short or open in one or more wires going to the solenoid pack
    Possibly bad TCM (Replace)

Here Is how to repair, but I would check all wiring first:
Remove the valve body from the transmission
NOTE: The valve body can be removed for service without having to remove the transmission assembly. The valve body can be disassembled for cleaning and inspection of the individual components including the solenoid valves.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve