or another like new, from a durango

thanks!

2" lift
2" wheel spacer
exhaust free

Post subject: Re: trans swap
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

There's some other threads on the subject, but they got better later on. I just had good luck with a $500 2013 ram transmission from ebay (big junkyard with a warranty). I didn't use the torque converter on this one because I need it sold and didnt want in invite any shudder issues. Most people have had good luck with using the TC and the TCU from the ram. Try to find a 2011-2013 unless you read otherwise.
I'm pretty sure you will have the same weaknesses with a 2006 one...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:52 pm 

Two very important things to be aware of and consider when swapping in later model Ram truck transmissions into the Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle.

FIRST: Using a TCM from a Ram (Gas) truck can be detrimental due to downshift points which can cause the little diesel engine to dangerously overrev beyond redline when downshifting under power.
Some LOST members who have installed a Ram TCM have expounded on this issue in the past. Best to use your current TCM with whatever transmission you install if at all possible.

SECOND: Transmission solenoid pack compatibility.

Read this, it covers the issues in great detail:
Quote:
545RFE Transmission Solenoid Pack Requirements for the 2005 & 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle

Solenoid pack requirements:
Any 545RFE or 68RFE will bolt up to the Jeep Liberty. (5 or 6 speeds is controlled by the TCM)
Later model transmissions used a different solenoid pack (GRAY Connector) that is NOT compatible with the 05-06 model electronics. (TCM)
So, you may have to remove your solenoid pack from your current tranny and install it in any newer 545RFE you purchase.
They are identified by their color.
If you are using a later model Hemi transmission like the 68RFE, you will have to swap the solenoid pack back to the earlier model (WHITE Connector) solenoid pack which is compatible with the Jeep CRD's TCM (electronics). Just make sure to use the one with the white connector.
_______
More information:
WHITE-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The white-connector solenoid block (Figure 4) came out in 2004 with an updated (type 2) transmission range sensor plate. You’ll see these solenoid blocks used with the 545RFE and 68RFE transmissions.
_______
GRAY-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The gray-connector solenoid block came out in 2009 and has one less solenoid than the white-connector solenoid. It uses the same base gasket as the white-connector solenoid block.
The transmission range sensor plate is where the confusion starts. From 2009 to around 2011, it’ll still use the type-2 transmission range sensor plate, which works with vehicles that have manual 1 and manual 2 positions on the shifter.
_______
There’s no cutoff day on the change to the type-3 transmission range sensor plate. The type-3 transmission range sensor plate has a pocket depth of 0.158” (4.0mm) and the side of the manual valve slot will be 0.500” (12.7mm). This type-3 plate fits vehicles without manual 1 or manual 2 shifter positions.
_______
You can replace the gray-connector solenoid block with a white-connector solenoid block, as long as you use the right transmission range sensor plate: Type 2 with vehicles that have both manual 1 and manual 2 on the shifter, type 3 will only have a Drive position on the shifter.
_______
A little attention to details will help you avoid confusion and additional costs when swapping in later model RFE transmissions into the Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle.
_______
The required solenoid pack looks like this:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 am 
LOST Addict

Good advice. Oh yeah, I also had to swap over some linkage part(s) from the 2006 to the 2013 transmission. You might check ebay, as the place I dealt with even offered to cover return shipping for 14 days. I don't think any labor was covered, but luckily it worked well.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:01 am 
LOST Newbie

ok
thanks !

so If I go for the ram 1500 4,7 year 2007 ,
it is easy swap using the TC and solenoid pack that come with it
no need to change the solenoid
as if it is later models , right ?

2" lift
2" wheel spacer
exhaust free

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:40 pm 
LOST Addict

There were some major upgrades, 2009 or 2010 I think. If you get an earlier one, you'll want to put in a new style pump PLUS some springs, and style new cover, oh, and torque converter. If you skip the springs you'll regret it.

I think 2010-2013 are safe, but make sure to get a pic that shows the correct solenoid pack.
If you Google "lostjeeps" plus what you're looking for you'll have much better luck than trying to use the search on this site.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:39 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Two very important things to be aware of and consider when swapping in later model Ram truck transmissions into the Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle.

FIRST: Using a TCM from a Ram (Gas) truck can be detrimental due to downshift points which can cause the little diesel engine to dangerously overrev beyond redline when downshifting under power.
Some LOST members who have installed a Ram TCM have expounded on this issue in the past. Best to use your current TCM with whatever transmission you install if at all possible.

SECOND: Transmission solenoid pack compatibility.

Read this, it covers the issues in great detail:
Quote:
545RFE Transmission Solenoid Pack Requirements for the 2005 & 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle

Solenoid pack requirements:
Any 545RFE or 68RFE will bolt up to the Jeep Liberty. (5 or 6 speeds is controlled by the TCM)
Later model transmissions used a different solenoid pack (GRAY Connector) that is NOT compatible with the 05-06 model electronics. (TCM)
So, you may have to remove your solenoid pack from your current tranny and install it in any newer 545RFE you purchase.
They are identified by their color.
If you are using a later model Hemi transmission like the 68RFE, you will have to swap the solenoid pack back to the earlier model (WHITE Connector) solenoid pack which is compatible with the Jeep CRD's TCM (electronics). Just make sure to use the one with the white connector.
_______
More information:
WHITE-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The white-connector solenoid block (Figure 4) came out in 2004 with an updated (type 2) transmission range sensor plate. You’ll see these solenoid blocks used with the 545RFE and 68RFE transmissions.
_______
GRAY-CONNECTOR SOLENOID BLOCKS
The gray-connector solenoid block came out in 2009 and has one less solenoid than the white-connector solenoid. It uses the same base gasket as the white-connector solenoid block.
The transmission range sensor plate is where the confusion starts. From 2009 to around 2011, it’ll still use the type-2 transmission range sensor plate, which works with vehicles that have manual 1 and manual 2 positions on the shifter.
_______
There’s no cutoff day on the change to the type-3 transmission range sensor plate. The type-3 transmission range sensor plate has a pocket depth of 0.158” (4.0mm) and the side of the manual valve slot will be 0.500” (12.7mm). This type-3 plate fits vehicles without manual 1 or manual 2 shifter positions.
_______
You can replace the gray-connector solenoid block with a white-connector solenoid block, as long as you use the right transmission range sensor plate: Type 2 with vehicles that have both manual 1 and manual 2 on the shifter, type 3 will only have a Drive position on the shifter.
_______
A little attention to details will help you avoid confusion and additional costs when swapping in later model RFE transmissions into the Jeep Liberty Diesel Vehicle.
_______
The required solenoid pack looks like this:

Hello, WWDiesel:

It is possible to mate up a 6-Speed automatic transmission, (68RFE), to the Liberty CRD? Am I reading this correctly? Is there a smaller jump between the gears, or does the 68RFE provide a taller overdrive for lower RPMs at highway speeds?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:52 pm 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Hello, WWDiesel:
It is possible to mate up a 6-Speed automatic transmission, (68RFE), to the Liberty CRD? Am I reading this correctly? Is there a smaller jump between the gears, or does the 68RFE provide a taller overdrive for lower RPMs at highway speeds?

There is also a 65RFE & 66RFE that came in some Dodge/Jeep products.

Based on what I have read, Provided it is a 545RFE, 66RFE or 68RFE transmission from a 4x4 Dodge or Jeep, it should bolt up to the Jeep Liberty 2.8 engine.
The problem is solenoid pack and range sensor plate compatibility as described in what I posted earlier.

The TCM in the Jeep Liberty is not programed to utilize the 6th speed in the 68RFE, so you wound have to use a TCM from a Dodge or Jeep vehicle to make use of the 6th gear.
5th gear differences are 0.75 vs. 0.816 for the 545RFE vs. 68RFE respectfully.
The 68RFE does have the taller OD 6th gear of 0.625.

I am not sure the 2.8 VM engine has enough torque to adequately utilize the much taller OD gear, especially in hilly terrain.
I certainly am no expert in this area; I would consult with a good expert transmission person before trying to use a 66RFE or 68RFE transmission in the Jeep Liberty diesel vehicle.
I do have a good friend who is a long time certified Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer transmission expert that I defer all my transmission questions to, he works a large local CDJ dealer.

AllPar has some good information & writeup comparison of all the different RFE transmissions:>
https://www.allpar.com/threads/the-45rf ... ms.230023/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:10 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel:

I am trying to wrap my head around this topic.

I never heard of either the 65RFE or the 66RFE. What are their applications?

Your chart lists both the 545RFE and the 65RFE are being 6-speed automatic transmissions. This may be the case with the 65RFE, but how did the 545RFE grow an extra gear? Is this a case where the 545RFE is a 5-speed and is simply patterned directly off of the 65RFE?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:32 pm 

Technically the 545rfe is a 6 speed. Same transmission, just different software programing. :BINGO:

Jeff,
I know it gets a little confusing but read on. And there is a lot of reading available online about all these different transmissions and their gear ratios.
The number of gears in the transmission is basically only a function of computer software programing.

The confusion comes in with that 2nd Prime Gear which adds the extra gear ratio in the 545RFE but is not used or counted in normal upshifting but rather is only used when downshifting. Thus the 5 speed designation for the 545RFE. But with the right software programing, the 545RFE could be forced to use the 2nd Prime Gear during normal upshifts which would in essence turn the 545RFE into a true 6 speed transmission. :D

The 6 speed is only a 1999 4 speed Jeep transmission based on the old tried and true Torque Flight transmission, with a different torque converter & different computer software programing, over the years it has been called a 45RFE, then a 545RFE, now a 65RFE & a 68RFE.
Some of the newer Ram and Jeep powertrains now have a ZF 8 speed transmission.

The 65RFE was used in trucks (behind V8 gas engines). The 65RFE was introduced for the 2012 model year, the 545RFE was recalibrated and introduced as the 65RFE; it appears in the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Dodge Ram 1500 with 4.7L and 5.7L engines.
The 65RFE transmission hardware is identical to the 545RFE, and thus the gear ratios are identical to the 545RFE. The transmission still operates (in Drive) as a 5-speed. But if you use an Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control, you can manually limit the top gear to any of the six possible ratios:

• 1st gear = 3.000 ratio = ERS "1"
    • 2nd gear = 1.667 ratio = ERS "2"
    2nd Prime gear = 1.500 ratio = ERS "3"
    • 3rd gear = 1.000 ratio = ERS "4"
    • 4th gear = 0.750 ratio = ERS "5"
    • 5th gear = 0.667 ratio = ERS "6"
    • Reverse = -3.000 ratio

The 66RFE is a modified gear ratio transmission used in 2500 and 3500 models with V8 gas engines. The 66RFE is a different beast. It actually operates as a 6-speed all the time. It is basically the geartrain from the 68RFE (heavy-duty diesel) transmission with different ratios.

The 68RFE was introduced in 2007 Ram 2500 and 3500 Pickups with the 6.7L Cummins ISB Diesel engine. The basic internal design and operation is the same or similar to the 45 and 545RFE transmissions. But it has a larger bellhousing with different bolt pattern and cutout to accommodate diesel engine and has modified internal components to handle increased torque of the Cummins diesel engine. This transmission WILL NOT bolt up to where any 545RFE transmission was used.

But to use any of these later model different (6 speed) transmissions in the Jeep Liberty behind the 2.8 diesel engine, you would have to use a TCM with the correct software programing and therein lies the problem, as not all TCM's are compatible with the Jeep Liberty's data highway platform.

Have I now thoroughly confused you yet??? :dizzy: :banghead: :ROTFL: :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:00 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Technically the 545rfe is a 6 speed. Same transmission, just different software programing. :BINGO:

Jeff,
I know it gets a little confusing but read on. And there is a lot of reading available online about all these different transmissions and their gear ratios.
The number of gears in the transmission is basically only a function of computer software programing.

The confusion comes in with that 2nd Prime Gear which adds the extra gear ratio in the 545RFE but is not used or counted in normal upshifting but rather is only used when downshifting. Thus the 5 speed designation for the 545RFE. But with the right software programing, the 545RFE could be forced to use the 2nd Prime Gear during normal upshifts which would in essence turn the 545RFE into a true 6 speed transmission. :D

The 6 speed is only a 1999 4 speed Jeep transmission based on the old tried and true Torque Flight transmission, with a different torque converter & different computer software programing, over the years it has been called a 45RFE, then a 545RFE, now a 65RFE & a 68RFE.
Some of the newer Ram and Jeep powertrains now have a ZF 8 speed transmission.

The 65RFE was used in trucks (behind V8 gas engines). The 65RFE was introduced for the 2012 model year, the 545RFE was recalibrated and introduced as the 65RFE; it appears in the Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Dodge Ram 1500 with 4.7L and 5.7L engines.
The 65RFE transmission hardware is identical to the 545RFE, and thus the gear ratios are identical to the 545RFE. The transmission still operates (in Drive) as a 5-speed. But if you use an Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control, you can manually limit the top gear to any of the six possible ratios:

• 1st gear = 3.000 ratio = ERS "1"
    • 2nd gear = 1.667 ratio = ERS "2"
    2nd Prime gear = 1.500 ratio = ERS "3"
    • 3rd gear = 1.000 ratio = ERS "4"
    • 4th gear = 0.750 ratio = ERS "5"
    • 5th gear = 0.667 ratio = ERS "6"
    • Reverse = -3.000 ratio

The 66RFE is a modified gear ratio transmission used in 2500 and 3500 models with V8 gas engines. The 66RFE is a different beast. It actually operates as a 6-speed all the time. It is basically the geartrain from the 68RFE (heavy-duty diesel) transmission with different ratios.

The 68RFE was introduced in 2007 Ram 2500 and 3500 Pickups with the 6.7L Cummins ISB Diesel engine. The basic internal design and operation is the same or similar to the 45 and 545RFE transmissions. But it has a larger bellhousing with different bolt pattern and cutout to accommodate diesel engine and has modified internal components to handle increased torque of the Cummins diesel engine. This transmission WILL NOT bolt up to where any 545RFE transmission was used.

But to use any of these later model different (6 speed) transmissions in the Jeep Liberty behind the 2.8 diesel engine, you would have to use a TCM with the correct software programing and therein lies the problem, as not all TCM's are compatible with the Jeep Liberty's data highway platform.

Have I now thoroughly confused you yet??? :dizzy: :banghead: :ROTFL: :5SHOTS:

Actually, this is a good explanation.

I am still a little confused because you wrote earlier the following... "Any 545RFE or 68RFE will bolt up to the Jeep Liberty. (5 or 6 speeds is controlled by the TCM)" Now you are writing that the 68RFE will not fit because the bell housing is different. Can you change the bell housing, (swap with a 545RFE), on the 68 RFE to make it fit?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:23 am 

I am still a little confused because you wrote earlier the following... "Any 545RFE or 68RFE will bolt up to the Jeep Liberty. (5 or 6 speeds is controlled by the TCM)" Now you are writing that the 68RFE will not fit because the bell housing is different. Can you change the bell housing, (swap with a 545RFE), on the 68 RFE to make it fit?

My understanding, if it comes out of a gas powered Ram or Jeep, it will bolt up. The housings used on the ones behind the Cummins diesels will not.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:41 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

My understanding, if it comes out of a gas powered Ram or Jeep, it will bolt up. The housings used on the ones behind the Cummins diesels will not.

This would make sense; thank you, WWDiesel.

Do you know of anyone playing with bell housings and these transmissions and getting a 68RFE to properly bolt up to a CRD engine?

Would anyone have the proper software to download into a CRD TCU to control the 68RFE transmission?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

If and when k get to the point of needing trans work, I am going to one of the Dodge Cummins shops for info and parts. Lots of guys out there with well over 1,000 hp engines with 68RFE transmissions behind them. I am sure they could build a 545 for these Liberty’s to handle whatever you want to throw at it.

I had a 68RE in my 03 Dodge Cummins that I had rebuilt with an additional clutch friction disc and steel, shift kit and a triple plate torque converter. Thing was mean!

In factory form these transmissions are satisfactory for everyday drive with little abuse. But I believe they can be pretty stout and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:

This would make sense; thank you, WWDiesel.

Do you know of anyone playing with bell housings and these transmissions and getting a 68RFE to properly bolt up to a CRD engine?

Would anyone have the proper software to download into a CRD TCU to control the 68RFE transmission?
Gotta think about length too… is there enough length under a Liberty for a 68RFE and an acceptable drive shaft angle.

As mentioned in my previous post, have the 545 rebuilt with better parts.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

I went down this road about 2 years ago with figuring out what to put behind my compound turbo projects. For ease of the project I wanted to do a built 545rfe. But quickly found out it is essentially impossible to have one “built”. They are already the stoutest they can be due to the physical size of the case. There just isn’t anymore room for bigger clutches. Anyone that claims they can build one for anything more the mild above stock is full of sh*t.

I have since went with a manual swap. Nv4500.

To answer jeff question about bolting up. Our jeep adapter is the small block mopar pattern. So anything that has that will be cheapest and require no adaptor plates

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
I went down this road about 2 years ago with figuring out what to put behind my compound turbo projects. For ease of the project I wanted to do a built 545rfe. But quickly found out it is essentially impossible to have one “built”. They are already the stoutest they can be due to the physical size of the case. There just isn’t anymore room for bigger clutches. Anyone that claims they can build one for anything more the mild above stock is full of sh*t.

To answer jeff question about bolting up. Our jeep adapter is the small block mopar pattern. So anything that has that will be cheapest and require no adaptor plates
Out of curiosity, who did you talk to?

Do you have any details or a build thread anywhere on the NV4500? I was contemplating that as well. My question there is the shifter and the center console, as well as the transfer case. I can ditch the part time 4WD. Did you use the tease that would have come behind the 4500?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

RockinRam96 wrote:
jws84_02 wrote:

Out of curiosity, who did you talk to?

Do you have any details or a build thread anywhere on the NV4500? I was contemplating that as well. My question there is the shifter and the center console, as well as the transfer case. I can ditch the part time 4WD. Did you use the tease that would have come behind the 4500?

I talked to a few race shops. Don’t remember which ones but were known for their mopar builds. I don’t have a build log. I’ve shared some pics on the Facebook group but nothing real formal. As far as details.....I went with a solid billet flywheel from the company in Australia. It’s technically the light duty nv4500 with the 1” input shaft. With the smaller bell housing we are limited to a 10” clutch. I’m using our 242 t case

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:10 am 
LOST Newbie

update

I had to send back the trans from the ram...
It wasn't in very good shape as the
seller told me un first place..anyway.
I couldn't find better option.

i have send my trans for a rebuilt, including the TC.
charged me a lot of money.
as replacement parts are all imported, shipping and taxes are killers here.
they offer 30 000kms warranty, better than nothing ..
hope to have the jeep running today or tomorow..

2" lift
2" wheel spacer
exhaust free

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:25 pm 

Matt, where is here? (Your Location?) You posts don't contain a signature.

Adding a signature, location, vehicle information, etc... to your profile can help others when trying to answer your questions or simply providing advice.
To add a signature, click on "User Control Panel", then "Profile", then "Edit Signature" where you can add your information. :rockon:
See picture below.

What happened to the Durango transmission option you alluded to in your initial post in this thread?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch