It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission fluid level
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don’t understand the dipstick markings for the transmission fluid. The cold/add markings are at the end of the stick, implying a lower fluid level; while the hot markings are farther up the dipstick, implying a higher fluid level. But when the engine is cold, the fluid measures higher, and when it is hot, the level is lower — presumably because the fluid is still in the gears, etc. Are the cold/hot markings reversed?

Post subject: Re: Transmission fluid level
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

lelandj wrote:
I don’t understand the dipstick markings for the transmission fluid. The cold/add markings are at the end of the stick, implying a lower fluid level; while the hot markings are farther up the dipstick, implying a higher fluid level. But when the engine is cold, the fluid measures higher, and when it is hot, the level is lower — presumably because the fluid is still in the gears, etc. Are the cold/hot markings reversed?

Automatic transmission fluid levels are typically measured as follows...

1) ... on level ground, (of course!).

2) ... only when the fluid is hot.

3) ... only when the engine is running.

4) ... after all of the above, moving the transmission selector lever through all of the positions before settling on the park position.

The above procedure is how I do it, and is more thorough than what is described in the owner's manual on pages 333 and 334. If you do not have an owner's manual, there is one online at the Liberty CRD Facebook Page in the "files" section.

It appears from your description that one or more of the following may be occurring...

1) ... you are not seating the dipstick fully each time after wiping it off.

2) ... you are measuring the level on the dipstick when the engine is not running and the transmission is cold, while measuring the level on the dipstick when the engine is running and the transmission is hot. This will likely give you the readings you are describing. Fluids indeed have a greater volume when they are hot verses when they are cold, hence a higher level of fluid in the pan, (all other factors being the same), and the reason why you have the hot readings higher up on the dipstick than the cold readings. However, this is more than countered by the fact that there is less automatic transmission fluid in the pan where the readings take place when the torque converter is moving and the transmission pump is circulating ATF throughout the transmission.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you. Now I get it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:59 am 
LOST Addict

lelandj wrote:
Thank you. Now I get it.

Please post your findings after following my procedure.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 1:02 pm 

FYI:
The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.

Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.
The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute or greater, with the vehicle setting on level ground.
At normal operating fluid temperature (approximately 82 C. or 180 F.), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator (dip stick).

Note: The 545RFE transmission is a large transmission and owners have found from experience that it seems to function best if slightly overfilled with fluid.
Only use ATF+4 transmission fluid in this transmission!

Fluid level vs temperature

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

Also consider that your dipstick might be wrong from the factory. Mine bottoms out on the bottom of the pan which makes the marks somewhat meaningless.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for these helpful posts. As an engineer (EE), I especially like the graph. I definitely have a leak, with fluid on the garage floor. Before driving it to my diesel mechanic today, I had to add two quarts of ATF+4, and it still just barely showed on the dipstick. I’ll let you know the diagnosis and the solution. My CRD is a 2005 with 125K miles, and otherwise runs great. If you’re in or near RI, Pascale Performance Diesel in Warwick is great!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:33 pm 

lelandj wrote:
Thanks for these helpful posts. As an engineer (EE), I especially like the graph. I definitely have a leak, with fluid on the garage floor. Before driving it to my diesel mechanic today, I had to add two quarts of ATF+4, and it still just barely showed on the dipstick. I’ll let you know the diagnosis and the solution. My CRD is a 2005 with 125K miles, and otherwise runs great. If you’re in or near RI, Pascale Performance Diesel in Warwick is great!

Add some more ATF+4 until you get it up above the full mark; these transmissions function best when slightly "Overfilled".
Most run an extra quart in them. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:23 am 
LOST Addict

lelandj wrote:

I like WWDiesel's graphs and diagrams as well. Nobody paints a picture like WW can.

I wish I knew how to explain things using images like he can.... is it a software upgrade, WWDiesel? What can I do to post images like these?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:46 am 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
I like WWDiesel's graphs and diagrams as well. Nobody paints a picture like WW can.
I wish I knew how to explain things using images like he can.... is it a software upgrade, WWDiesel? What can I do to post images like these?

Jeff, it is in the brain with lots of experience! :lol:
25+ years of teaching and writing / producing hundreds of operating procedures for a large electric power plant where I had to learn to incorporate thousands of illustrations and drawings that I was tasked with producing myself alone. The illustrations, drawings, pictures, etc... helped to ensure the reader was fully cognizant of the written material being conveyed to prevent any misunderstanding or ambiguity on their part when operating multi million dollar equipment since they were held accountable for their actions if found to be NOT following established procedures.
I quickly became proficient in excel (graphs), Word (documents), Visio & Autocad (drawings), Web page management, database construction and management, along with learning to write computer codes such as VBA, SQL, and Open Script.
I am retired now, but many of my skills are still viable; I still really enjoy producing illustrations and drawings even though I don't have all the expensive software / tools I had at my disposal when I was working full time.
:rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's not clear exactly what happened, but the transmission leak is hopefully fixed. I had had a 6" circle of ATF-4 on the garage floor, which got this whole effort started, and I eventually had added 2 quarts of fluid to drive the CRD to my mechanic. But he found no obvious leak at first. After taking it for a long ride to get it hot, and leaving it parked on a clean surface for two days, he did find a small drip coming from the edge of the transmission pan. Removing the pan, he found that it had been sealed by the Jeep dealer (in October) with a sealant only, but no gasket, and that there was a small dent in the edge of the pan. He straightened the dent, reinstalled the pan with a gasket and JV8 sealant, and added 5 qts of ATF-4. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:57 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:

Jeff, it is in the brain with lots of experience! :lol:
25+ years of teaching and writing / producing hundreds of operating procedures for a large electric power plant where I had to learn to incorporate thousands of illustrations and drawings that I was tasked with producing myself alone. The illustrations, drawings, pictures, etc... helped to ensure the reader was fully cognizant of the written material being conveyed to prevent any misunderstanding or ambiguity on their part when operating multi million dollar equipment since they were held accountable for their actions if found to be NOT following established procedures.
I quickly became proficient in excel (graphs), Word (documents), Visio & Autocad (drawings), Web page management, database construction and management, along with learning to write computer codes such as VBA, SQL, and Open Script.
I am retired now, but many of my skills are still viable; I still really enjoy producing illustrations and drawings even though I don't have all the expensive software / tools I had at my disposal when I was working full time.
:rockon:

When I FINALLY get around to developing a website I may be calling you for help. I will be requiring installation diagrams and other such things that people who do not speak English can follow along.