It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD Trans or TC
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I posted in another forum and have not gotten a response, but below is a post from 2012 that is the exact same symptoms I am having. There was no follow up or documentation of a solution. If anyone has experienced the same issue please let me know what you found.

"Greetings,
It seem that my transmission completely disengaged ( for lack of any other way to describe the phenomena) while I was driving on my way to work yesterday morning on the freeway. It didn't come out of gear, per say, it just all of a sudden ceased transferring power from the engine to the wheels (BTW- I drive full time with the transfer case in full time 4 wheel drive). I coasted to the offramp of the freeway and pulled off to the shoulder. I put the transmission into 'PARK' and that worked. I checked the transfer case by first positioning it into 'NEUTRAL' which caused the jeep to roll forward predictably. Then I positioned the transfer case into each position from '2WD' all the way to '4WD Lo'. Each time in each position, the transfer case engaged as it should have normally. Now when I tried all of the transmission positions ('R' 'D' '2' and '1'), the vehicle wouldn't move forward and acted as if it were in 'N'-Neutral and the engine would just rev up as I applied the throttle. I think I hear a high pitched but subtle whirring whining sound as I rev the engine. The engine seem to run normally. I checked the transmission fluid and it is at the correct level and didn't have any abnormal smell, look or consistency. I can't think of anything else and from the looks of it, it sound like I have a major transmission problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that I've been told that in some newer transmissions, plastic bands are used instead of gears. Did I break a band? Ok, I'm ready for any and all input and advice from my fellow 'Jeep Forum' peeps."

Did anyone ever confirm that this was a torque converter failure? I have the exact same symptoms. Driving down the highway and it suddenly acted like it was in neutral. Coasted to the side of the road and park works. It feels like it is shifting through all of the gears and between 4w and 2w but no power applied to the wheels at all. Oil level fine. had a TCM code p0868 low oil pressure, cleared it and it would not come back. Still no power in any gear. I pulled the transmission. Oil and everything looks perfect. No leaks, the TC looks fine from what I can see on the outside, no issues with the transmission input or output shafts.

I am at a crossroads. the 2006 CRD has 179k on it. The TC was replaced at 120K. Do I tear apart the transmission and rebuild? Do I just replace the TC and put everything back in? Could this be how a oil pump fails even though the code did not return when I tried shifting through the gears with no power to the wheels? Could it be something else like a bad solenoid even though I don't get any codes? Any help would be appreciated if someone has had a similar situation. This old thread was about the only google result that was exactly the same symptoms of my driveline issue. It would be good to document the solution for this kind of failure.

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD Trans or TC
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 pm 

Have you thoroughly tested the transfer case? If something inside it broke/wore out/come loose like a shifter fork and it is stuck in neutral you could have the same symptoms. :idea:
Just a thought and possibility worth exploring!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the transfer case seems fine. I can turn the input shaft by hand and the output turns. everything feels smooth and i can shift it through the modes by hand as well. I think im just going to rebuild the transmission and replace the tc. probably replace the pump. if it works after Its back together, we still wont know what fixed it. ill replace the leaking rear main seal while its apart.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

I am just now getting around to putting everything back together. The transmission looks perfectly fine. Clutch material even looks good. Found nothing broken, no contamination in the fluid. I don't know for sure what failed, so I plan to replace the TC with the heavy duty low stall option from florida torque converters, replace the transmission oil pump with the new version(took apart the old one and found no issues) and replace the filters. One thing I am wondering, is if I should put a transgo shift kit in or not. Which one would be recommended? This is just a grocery getter that hauls a boat from time to time, but I don't want to work on a transmission again for a very long time..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:54 pm 

Since you have the trans out and open anyway, the recommendation is a solid yes. It comes with a beefier accumulator plate which is a real plus!

Ron Wolverton owner of Suncoast has stated in the past that he will not let a Liberty CRD go out of his shop without a TransGo kit.
That speaks volumes!

The TransGo Kit increases line pressure, firms up shifts, and helps the clutches and bands last longer...it also replaces the
When I had the the torque converter on my Jeep replaced with a Suncoast TC, my front pump was replaced with a new one along with having a Transgo kit installed as recommended by my very good friend who owns and runs his own transmission repair company.

See this:> Jeep 545RFE TransGo shift kit install

45RFE-HD2 kit from TransGo

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch