It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Filter head leak.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Dear all,

I was able to take a video of my leaky fuel filter head.

https://youtu.be/hSp6EMghFyk

I have now fixed it by installing the heater puck from a junkyard filter housing (£20!). The replacement came from an LDV Pilot van (for those in the UK)

Serendipitously the connector appears to be exactly the same those fitted to the upgraded "second generation" filter housing.

I'm looking for the appropriate connector for the heater plug, but its currently unconnected as we don't get that cold in my part of North Wales. (Not in summer anyway!)

Cheers,

Dafydd

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter head leak.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 pm 

Don't stress over the fuel heater plug! It does not provide a lot of actual heat into the fuel and is pretty much useless in warmer climates.
When found leaking, many owners have simply unplugged (disconnected) it, cleanout the connection cavity on the housing good with brake cleaner, then fill the cavity full with some silicone sealer, let it cure good, and forget it. :wink:

Information wrote:
As the CP3 injection pumps (squeezes) the fuel and increases the fuel pressure up to the extremely high pressures used in the fuel rail and injectors, it adds a lot of heat to the fuel.
The CP3 injection pump also uses the incoming diesel fuel to "COOL" itself (internals). So any diesel fuel leaving the CP3 injection pump and / or injectors contains a lot of BTU's from being worked so hard.
There is a fuel temperature sensor integrated into the fuel filter module, on the inlet side of the fuel head.
The sensor is used to detect the temperature of incoming fuel and is measured/monitored by the ECM.
The ECM uses this information (reading) to calculate optimum engine performance under all driving conditions.
If the incoming fuel is too warm, rail system volume will be lowered which will affect engine performance especially in hotter driving conditions..
*The fuel quantity solenoid reduces flow to the fuel rail & injectors, excess heated overflow return is reduced and fuel temperature is lowered.

That being said; Some owners like myself, have fitted a "Fuel Cooler" to the fuel return line to cool the diesel fuel BEFORE it is returned to the fuel tank and certainly don't need anything providing any additional "HEAT" input into the fuel. :D

Fuel Return Cooler

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter head leak.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:20 am 
LOST Newbie

My stress levels are greatly reduced now that the jeep is running reliably. I think I had two problems, "air in fuel" and crankcase position sensor "heat soak". The jeep would conk out after driving around 3 miles.

On reflection perhaps it was only "air in fuel". The leaky fuel filter head would probably get worse as the engine compartment warmed up?

I might have over-reacted - as my fuel filter heater connector was also generating smoke. Thank goodness it was diesel and not petrol/gas. I had considered plugging the connector with epoxy - but wasn't convinced I could get it to seal.

The bubbling in the video happened when I was using the pump - so gave me a fright. In operation - it would have been sucking air, not forming diesel/air bubbles, and would have been less likely to ignite.

All's well that ends well!