It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECU 2006 Liberty programming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:48 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a burnt ECU/ECM and bought a used one from a salvage yard and it needs to be programed to work in my 2006 jeep Liberty Limited 2.8L. I can't locate anyone that can do the reprogramming. What do other members do in this situation as I'm sure I'm not the only one that has needed a ECU/ECM programed. I'm living in Costa Rica and have my jeep here, the ECU/ECM that needs programming is at my sons home in Virginia and can be sent from there to anywhere in the states for programming, I've contacted GDE and they said they don't do the reprogramming so I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions PLEASE! Thanks, Ric

Post subject: Re: ECU 2006 Liberty programming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 pm 

Any shop with a high end scanner/programer like a SnapOn Verus, or Thinktool Pro Bi-Directional Scanner, or Mopar DRBIII can reprogram a used ECM. Dodge/Jeep dealers should be able to handle the job as well.
You will have to obtain the PIN number for the VIN number to program the SKIM for vehicle security. But Mopar dealers are required to provide you with the PIN if you request it provided you can show proof of ownership of vehicle. Most good locksmiths can also pull PIN numbers based on VIN number.
Note: the ECM has to be installed in the vehicle to do the programing properly.
Good luck,

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Therein lies the problem, the jeep is here in Costa Rica with me and the ECM/ECU is in Virginia, so it's not possible to program the ECM in the jeep, I need to find someone or some company that can program it in the states and then my son can send it to me here. The shipping costs and customs fees are astronomical making it cost prohibitive to be sending back and forth, I live quite a distance from a dealership (6hrs) and shops I've been intouch with here say they can't do the programming. So, I guess I'm just screwed unless there is some other solution. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:23 am 
LOST Member

Is there a difference between 05 and 06 ECU? Does the Gateway module below the battery on the 2005 stop you using the a 2006 ECU?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

My understanding is that the North American model year 05 and 06 KJ CRD ECU's differences are only in the 06 having traction control and the way the skim and immobilization works is different and incompatible.

I would double check that the ECU came from the same model year and that all the numbers on the case match your old ecu.

After that the keys(skim data) and injector trims just need programming.

If you could also get BOTH keys from the jeep the new ECU comes from you could possible manually program your keys. This would require separating the lock cylinder and electronic key reader ring and then following the key programming procedure. With your keys in the lock cylinder and the keys from the new ecu near the electronic reader. You would add your keys and then reassemble the steering column There maybe more needed such as the security module(found behind driver's side head light) but i'm not completely upto date on the Mopar immobilizer used in these jeeps.

The injector trims are needed for a smooth idle but the engine will run Ok without it.
There is a sticker on the timing belt cover with a long string of numbers and letters on it. 4 or 8 characters per cylinder so 16 or 32. Each injector also has these strings of characters laser etched on to them. This long string of letters are the trim values needed by the ECU. The MPPS programmers used to tune these engines should be able to right this trimming data to the ECU. there is a very long thread on this forum about programming using the MPPS programmer.

18 Ram 3500 crewcab flatbed
kubota M6800