It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 KJ CRD, No power and no boost
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of info or guidance on diagnosing the cause of my loss of power. To start with the basics, the Jeep is 2005 CRD. It has a full EGR delete (blocked off, pipe removed, tuned out). On a cold start I'm able to drive moderately with boost present. My boost gauge will register 8-14 psi under moderate load and the turbo can be heard spooling. After 5 or so minutes all power is lost. I have a CEL for P0093 which I'm aware can put the vehicle in limp mode. However, if I clear the code and the vehicle is still "hot" I still have no power. Shifts seem to be very early as well. To add to the possible causes, I bought the Jeep yesterday with what the seller suspected to be a bad torque converter. No codes pertaining to the transmission.

Where should I start on diagnosis? I've just ordered a euro spec torque converter and will install it regardless. Could the low power be related to the fueling code, or a symptom of a torque converter? I just don't want to throw a converter and fuel head in, only to still be at square one.

Thanks yall!

Post subject: Re: 2005 KJ CRD, No power and no boost
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:47 am 

Low power is probably due to fueling issues.
P0093 -- Fuel system leak detected – large leak Wiring, fuel pressure sensor, mechanical fault.

Have you changed your fuel filter? If not, I would try changing it first. Fill it up with clean fresh diesel fuel or fill it with Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost Fuel Additive and after installing new full fuel filter, pump manual fuel pump on fuel filter head and blead all air out of fuel system. Continue pumping and bleeding fuel filter head until you get NO air out of bleed valve.

Check the fuel filter and make sure there are not two (2) filter gaskets installed on the filter, this has been found on some vehicles when the old gasket stuck to the filter head and the new filter was screwed on with the new gasket. This will cause a bad air in fuel leak!

Most likely you have air in fuel problems. If you have a leak on the OEM vacuum fuel system anywhere, it will suck air in, not leak fuel out. When this happens, it starves the CP3 injection pump for fuel preventing it from building the correct fuel rail pressure which greatly reduces engine power and in some cases will stop engine from running totally.

Installing an intank fuel lift pump solves all air in fuel problems.
Most owners install the intank lift pump that was used in the early 2000's Dodge Cummins trucks. It is a direct drop in the tank replacement for the OEM fuel and fuel gauge module. All you have to do is add two additional wires to the harness from under the rear seat area to the top of the fuel tank. The vehicle is prewired for the lift pump, with a relay, and the correct logic in the ECM for the lift pump. The wires are already run all the way to under the rear seat to a connector, so you only have to add two wires. See this:> http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/default.html

The OEM fuel line fittings that connect between the fuel tank and the metal fuel lines on the frame are push on gasser type fittings and are not designed nor do they work well for vacuum fuel systems, they are designed for pressure fuel systems. So when used in a vacuum fuel system, they can and will allow air to be sucked into the fuel system.
Some owners have removed both of the push on fittings, one at the tank end, and one at the metal pipe end where it attaches to the frame.

(Still requires dropping the fuel tank to get to the fitting on top of the fuel tank module. Might as well put in an intank fuel pump while you got the tank dropped!) :juggle: :lol:
They replaced them with diesel rated hose and used either screw type clamps or crimp on clamps for a sure seal.
But, if you install an intank fuel pump, it puts the entire fuel system under low pressure (12-14 psig) from inside the fuel tank all the way to the back of the CP3 injection pump.
With an intank fuel pump installed, if you have a leak anywhere, it will be self evident very quickly since everything will be under 12-14 psig pressure as fuel will leak out instead of air being sucked into the system.
So the push on fuel line fittings will work just fine in a pressure system

There is an upgraded fuel filter head, but replacing it will not solve air in fuel issues if you have a leak elsewhere.
Updated Fuel Filter Head (Liberty CRD) See picture 2
https://www.idparts.com/updated-fuel-fi ... -4723.html

The defect on the fuel filter head is the plug for the fuel heater. (See picture 1) Most simply unplug it, spray it clean good with brake or carb cleaner, dry it, then fill it full of RTV sealer and let it cure.
The 12v fuel heater adds very little heat to the fuel, you will never miss it with it disconnected.
The fuel filter head is also a two piece design and has a gasket between the two halfs. Make sure it is tight, if it is loose, it can suck air.

Picture 1

Picture 2, Upgraded Fuel Filter Head

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch