It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cheap alternative to non-serviceable thermostat housing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was just browsing the interwebs and came across the following thermostat assembly which seems to be maybe serviceable and should fit the 2.8CRD:

It can be found by looking for "MAXUS V80 Thermostat" on Aliexpress and costs around 70$ shipped or less depending on where you live.

Maybe this could help out someone.

Post subject: Re: cheap alternative to non-serviceable thermostat housing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:42 pm 

Good find,
Sure looks like it has potential. May require adding a couple of missing fittings based on pictures.
Any idea what temperature replacement thermostats are available for it?
I did find out it used on the VM Motori diesel engine that they put in the LDV Maxus V80 Van.

Found a few more images of it online posted below. Looks to be plenty of them available in England for around $100 with shipping according to some of the ads I found.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:41 am 
LOST Junkie

In Australia, they have dropped the 2.8 engine. The only diesel is a 2 ltr Bi turbo with a 9 speed auto trans.
Ford also have been using this in their Ranger 4X4 as a replacement for the 3.2ltr 5, but they are dropping the Bi turbo & going for a 3ltr V6 diesel.
Was told the V6 is a Ford in house engine.
LDV are unobtainable new in Australia, more than 18months delivery time.
Similar for any decent car at the moment. 2018 cars are making more than they were new !

The interesting thing would be what thermostat fits in the housing?
I hope the housing is still on the market in years to come.
I am still trying to get a lead on the shaft bearing for the fan. I have been told its used by New Holland (Ford) in one of their tractors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not exactly sure which exact thermostat fits the housing but when searching for the housing the following thermostat came up, so I would assume that it would be the correct one for the housing.
It looks like they also have 2 variations of the housing with some ports not being used depending if the car has rear heat or not (some of the ports can be seen without a nipple on them as in the picture posted by WWDiesel)

Also, since it looks like these vehicles are still currently being used in China, parts might be available for quite some time I imagine (hopefully).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:01 pm 

When you google the PN: 510990260 for the thermostat in question, most of the hits that are found are in England with a few being in Europe. :google:
If this is a viable replacement for the US one piece thermostat, I would be surprised if Cory @ IDParts or Seth @ Sasquatch Parts have not already explored this.
It would be nice to get their thoughts and / or comments on this part.... :POPCORN:
I have PM'ed and emailed both of them to see if they might be able to add any insight into this discussion?
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

FOLLOWING...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:48 pm 
LOST Member

We imported a bunch of these years ago from the factory that makes them. It was a no-go. I don't quote recall what the problem was, but the casting was *NOT* right, even though it seemed it should be fine. We tried about a dozen (+/-) variations of this and could never find a factory that was making a quality unit that reliable met spec. Aliexpress = YMMV :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, upon further inspection it looks like it is not just a bolt on item that would work right out of the box since the engine in the Maxus v80 is oriented differently than in the Jeep.
However, I feel like with a bit of effort it might be able to work if the thermostat top cover was clocked differently (can only clock it ~close to what the Jeep one should be and will not be the exact same angle) and if the other hose connections were mounted in the other face (will require drilling and tapping).

Maxus V80 Thermostat:

Jeep 2.8l CRD thermostat:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:10 am 
LOST Addict

cevans wrote:
We imported a bunch of these years ago from the factory that makes them. It was a no-go. I don't quote recall what the problem was, but the casting was *NOT* right, even though it seemed it should be fine. We tried about a dozen (+/-) variations of this and could never find a factory that was making a quality unit that reliable met spec. Aliexpress = YMMV :shock:

The conclusion made by cevans does not surprise me. There are simply too many changes that would have to be done to this part to make it worthwhile, and the fact that it is a - CHEAP - aluminum casting would make modifications of any sort to adapt to the CRD engine a dicey proposition.