It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck Trying to Program new RKE Xmitters
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:15 pm 
LOST Member

So one of my old keys broke, and I ordered a couple of new ones off Ebay. I've been trying to program them unsuccessfully so far and though I'd check with the folks here on how to do it. This is an 06 CRD with EVIC. This is what I have tried so far:

In the 06 service manual they say there should be a Train Remote option on the EVIC, right after Service Interval. Well no such option on my EVIC. Unless there is some secret button push you need to get into it (let me know if there is).

I have tried the sequence at the last post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90281 I never get a chime when it is supposed to enter programming mode, after step 3. And if I just continue on as though it worked, none of the new remotes are programmed. So I am guessing I did not enter programming mode.

I have looked in the FSM for instructions, but they only say do it thru the EVIC entry I don't get, or via the scan tool. At least that I have found.

At this point I think it is too soon to blame the new keys, since it does not seem that I have gotten into remote program mode yet. Anyone know a programming sequence that works, or the secret key presses to get to the Train Remote selection on the EVIC?

TIA

Post subject: Re: Stuck Trying to Program new RKE Xmitters
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:15 pm 

The programing instructions I posted above for programing new key(s) works perfect on an 05 model. I have actually programed several new keys for my Jeep using the procedure.
Not sure why the procedure would not work on your 06 model, strange.

The programing instructions I found in the 06 FSM are instructions for using a scanner (DRBIII?) to program new keys. I was not able to find any self programing instructions in either the 05 or 06 FSMs. The instructions are only found in the Owners Manual, not the FSMs. :banghead:
I found and downloaded an Owner's Manual for an 06 model and the key programing procedure is exactly the same verbatim as the 05 model.

Worse case if you are unable to figure it out, you could always get a certified automotive locksmith to program the new keys for you.
If they can't program them, that would at least tell you the problem is the key, and not the vehicle electronics.
:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks WW.

In doing some more searches here, it looks like I had this same issue with this same Jeep back when I bought it some years ago. For some reason the generic programming instructions just don't work to put it into RKE programming mode, and the option isn't visible on the EVIC. I wonder if the dealer can turned those off so you have to come back to them to add new keys.

I'll charge up the batt and give it one more try tomorrow, then it's off to a dealer or maybe a locksmith.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 pm 
LOST Member

It's not a "bug," it's a "feature." From time to time, "updates" to the EVIC and other modules remove or alter system functionality so that it no longer matches what the manual says. Of course, there is no apology or work-around ever given to the masses.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.