It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reduced power
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been doing limited driving for about a year with a probable head gasket leak. I don't plan on fixing this since I already bought a jeep renegade stick shift. Recently jeep has started to show extreme slowness and bad acceleration. I can be flooring it and it won't get through an intersection I was stopped at before the light turns yellow. It refuses to enter high gear. It has codes which I haven't checked. At first it was intermittent. When I first started it after a few minutes I could tell if it was going to be normal or slow during the drive. Recently everytime I drive it I see this bad performance.
The switching between completely normal and slow made me think it was transmission related but the symptoms remind me of a turbo boost issue. Anyone experienced similar issues?
Thanks

ticking sound

Post subject: Re: reduced power
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

have you checked that the turbo boost control solenoid it working.. Is there vacuum on that line? Have a look at the turbo vane actuator while the engine is running and remove the vacuum line that goes to it, its easier to remove the vacuum line where it goes into the solenoid instead of where it goes into the actual turbo. You should notice the actuator drop about 10mm or so.

But if you have a bad head gasket as well then perhaps you are loosing compression on one or more cylinders.

Also check for boost leaks on you CAC hoses.

It seems these CRD's like to eat the hose that goes into the turbo close to where the crank case vent tube goes into it - the oil residue collects at the bottom of that hose and rots it out. Not sure if this will cause such a performance loss but worth a check while you are down there.

Also make sure that your air filter isn't blocked.

Get someone to read the codes as that will help you a great deal!

EGR removed (EGR ports on exhaust and intake manifolds plugged)