It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGR Delete options
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been following along for a while but finally decided to do a EGR Delete, but i'm not sure where to start. From what I've read, the Weeks Kits (stage 1&2) are no longer available from our normal sources. I do see one listed here, but I'm not sure if it is a legit site:
https://www.egrdeletehome.com/products/ ... search_1.1
Has anyone tried ordering one of these?

Alternatively, can I simply use a EGR Delete tune to disable the EGR and just leave the EGR hardware on the machine (lazy option)?

Post subject: Re: EGR Delete options
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:04 am 

No tune can completely disable an EGR valve if it is leaking by internally. A tune can disable it electrically, but to ensure total disablement you must ether totally remove the EGR & FCV, EGR cooler, and associated hoses and piping, (best)
or
install a block off plate between the EGR valve and the exhaust feed line to the EGR valve and then remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV to ensure it does not hang partly closed limiting boost flow into the intake manifold.
If you simply install a block off plate and remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV, you can drive the vehicle forever like this, it will only set an occasional DTC P code of P0101.
If you want to disable the EGR electrically, simply unplug the MAF sensor and drive it; without input from the MAF sensor, the ECM will not operate the EGR or FCV but will set a P code for the MAF sensor being unplugged. But if the EGR valve is leaking by or the FCV is hanging partly closed, you still have a problem.

Full delete kit here:> https://kbdieselperformance.com/Intake- ... p133880322

Of course it is best to fully remove all the EGR system parts and get a tune from Marco aka Yeti on this forum or on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,
so the egrdeletehome kit is more complete as it already has the egr block-off plate ?
thank you

Giacomo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WW Diesel for the link. It's nice to see that these are still available. I'll probably go with the one you mentioned being that it's a bit cheaper and probably a more reputable source.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel, Do you know if the emissions tests would fail after installing the kit you linked to? I'm unfortunately located in NY.
I'm not sure of the NY requirements, but i don't imagine them being too lenient.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 pm 

meichthys wrote:
WWDiesel, Do you know if the emissions tests would fail after installing the kit you linked to? I'm unfortunately located in NY.
I'm not sure of the NY requirements, but i don't imagine them being too lenient.

It certainly would fail a visual inspection by someone who knows what to look for. (A full EGR system/components Delete)

If inspectors are not required to perform a tailpipe sniffer test, you could install a simple block off plate between the EGR valve and exhaust feed tube to permanently disable it.
Then remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV so it can't hang partly shut limiting boost levels and air flow into the intake manifold. FCV's are bad about hanging partly shut!

An inspector would not see a block off plate, to well hid! Only takes about 15-20 minutes to install a block off plate in the location shown. Remove two bolts, slip block off plate in, and reinstall the bolts, job done!

**A block off plate can be made out of any simple sheet metal, even the lid from a soup or vegetable can. Only tools required to make a block off plate are a drill & 5/16" (8mm) drill bit and a pair of tin snips.

But it will still require a reflash of the ECM to disable any DTC's that the ECM might trigger due to non functioning the EGR system.
This will remove any Check Engine Lights from an inspector/emissions test.

Block Off Plate (Blank) Location:

Blockoff Plate Dimensional Drawing and FCV Butterfly Plate Location:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:29 am 
LOST Addict

meichthys wrote:

Hello, meichthys:

A private message has been sent.

You do not have to remove the EGR valve completely to make sure it is shut down 100% of the time and not able to transfer exhaust back through the engine intake. Keep the EGR valve in place and remove the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve; with this tube removed it is now impossible for exhaust to be re-routed back through the engine. Plug the exhaust manifold and install a 1 way check valve that opens up around 35 PSI in the EGR valve so that you get all the boost the turbocharger can produce, but will blow open if there is any turbocharger surging.

As WWDiesel stated, you can remove the butterfly valve out of the Flow Control Valve, (FCV), assembly and there is no possible way for an inspector to see that it is not there. This eliminates any problems the FCV can cause, but having the assembly still in place makes it perfectly legitimate.

Modifications done this way will make it very difficult for an emissions inspector to see that there is anything wrong with your engine because the only thing that is removed that can be seen is a small tube that runs from under the exhaust manifold, behind the engine and into the back of the EGR valve. This modification will also maintain the ability of the EGR valve to act as a turbo-blow off valve. Green Diesel Engineering discovered this secondary function of the EGR valve when doing research on engine tunes for the CRD engine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:05 pm 

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
Keep the EGR valve in place and remove the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve;

An emissions inspector could easily spot the EGR exhaust feed tube being completely removed/missing.

**Much more complected verses simply installing a quick and easy simple block off plate! :wink:
Would in addition require locating and installing a steel plug at the end of exhaust manifold. See picture
Will still require an ECM reflash to disable any DTC's set by non-operation of the EGR system.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:05 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel:

Your quote:

"An emissions inspector could easily spot the EGR exhaust feed tube being completely removed/missing."

Do they hoist the vehicle up and look from underneath? I made the comment because I can not easily see this pipe looking from the top down.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:24 am 

WWDiesel:
Your quote:
"An emissions inspector could easily spot the EGR exhaust feed tube being completely removed/missing."
Do they hoist the vehicle up and look from underneath? I made the comment because I can not easily see this pipe looking from the top down.

The exhaust feed tube for the EGR runs across the back of the engine. It would be very easy to spot if completely missing looking from the top on the left drivers side of the engine.
With engine cover off, look down by fuel filter, exhaust tube is very easy to see.
see picture.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:59 pm 
LOST Member

Where do I find the block off plate in this picture? I have a SEGR and my state does not do emissions inspections on diesels. I have a blank-off plate already since I removed the EGR and FCV. That exhaust feed tube has developed a leak at the joint just before the block-off plate. Sooo...at this point I want to just remove the EGR exhaust feed tube at the exhaust manifold and call it a day.

Thanks for any help in sourcing the steel plug and clamp in the picture.

WWDiesel wrote:
Keep the EGR valve in place and remove the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve;

An emissions inspector could easily spot the EGR exhaust feed tube being completely removed/missing.

**Much more complected verses simply installing a quick and easy simple block off plate! :wink:
Would in addition require locating and installing a steel plug at the end of exhaust manifold. See picture
Will still require an ECM reflash to disable any DTC's set by non-operation of the EGR system.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:42 pm 
LOST Member

Below is the tear in the EGR exhaust feed tube. The tube is removed. The other pic is the other end that attaches to the exhaust manifold. Sooo...how do I blank off the exhaust manifold port that the EGR exhaust feed tube was connected to?

taroo wrote:
Where do I find the block off plate in this picture? I have a SEGR and my state does not do emissions inspections on diesels. I have a blank-off plate already since I removed the EGR and FCV. That exhaust feed tube has developed a leak at the joint just before the block-off plate. Sooo...at this point I want to just remove the EGR exhaust feed tube at the exhaust manifold and call it a day.

Thanks for any help in sourcing the steel plug and clamp in the picture.

WWDiesel wrote:

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:42 pm 

You could make a plug out of a couple of metal freeze plugs. You might have to grid it down to the correct size to fit the V band clamp.
I made a plug out of a couple of steel washers bolted together with a bolt and nut. Then spot welded the not so it could not come loose. Still running that plug to this day.

Another option, cut the exhaust feed tube off and crimp it flat with a hammer, fold it over on itself and crimp it some more.
see drawing. Then put it back on using V band clamp.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:36 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
You could make a plug out of a couple of metal freeze plugs. You might have to grid it down to the correct size to fit the V band clamp.
I made a plug out of a couple of steel washers bolted together with a bolt and nut. Then spot welded the not so it could not come loose. Still running that plug to this day.

Another option, cut the exhaust feed tube off and crimp it flat with a hammer, fold it over on itself and crimp it some more.
see drawing. Then put it back on using V band clamp.

Excellent. I did the second one and it worked perfectly. The exhaust smell is gone of course. So, no turbo issue, not intercooler issue, and simply a torn EGR exhaust tube just ahead of the EGR delete block-off plate.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:55 pm 

Excellent! :BANANA: :BINGO:
I am going to borrow your excellent picture! :goink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray