It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belly Pan Diaper Purpose?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:56 am 
LOST Member

I took the belly pan/skid plate off from under the motor & front axle to better access the tranny cooling lines. Down too came the plastic & foam pad thing and I'm wondering, is it really necessary?

I'd read somewhere that the original intent was to catch leaks & drips so new buyers would have a longer period of new car satisfaction before having to deal with "issues". If this is the ONLY purpose, I think I can handle reality and would gladly deal with leaks as they appear, not months/years later once the diaper fills up. But I don't want to leave it out if it has a mechanical purpose as opposed to a psychological one.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

Post subject: Re: Belly Pan Diaper Purpose?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:14 pm 

krb wrote:
I took the belly pan/skid plate off from under the motor & front axle to better access the tranny cooling lines. Down too came the plastic & foam pad thing and I'm wondering, is it really necessary?
I'd read somewhere that the original intent was to catch leaks & drips so new buyers would have a longer period of new car satisfaction before having to deal with "issues". If this is the ONLY purpose, I think I can handle reality and would gladly deal with leaks as they appear, not months/years later once the diaper fills up. But I don't want to leave it out if it has a mechanical purpose as opposed to a psychological one.

Weird, my 05 does not have any such thing above the front skid plate. I also looked to see if Mopar listed anything like that on one of the online illustrated Mopar vendor sites, and it does not show or list anything but a bare metal skid plate.
Maybe someone added that part if your are not the first owner?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:25 pm 
LOST Member

My '05 came with one new. It never caused any problem but I took it off when the skid plate was off since it looked like a great place for ice to build up in. Maybe it was intended to cut down on engine noise like the hood liner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, they were to damp engine noise. Tossed mine the first time I took off the skid plate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:19 pm 
LOST Member

mine had one, it was soaked in oil so I tossed it, but kept the plastic piece that goes into the skid plate. Maybe it was there to insulate the oil for cold start up days...IDK

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:28 am 
LOST Member

So youall that tossed them, did it affect the engine noise?

WW, did you get yours new or used?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
So you all that tossed them, did it affect the engine noise?

I did not hear anything different in engine noise. Little tractor just chugs right along :JEEPIN:

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat