It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is ERG the prob?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys, looking for info from the hive mind. I don't think my 2.8 2005 is running the way it should be. I haven't had her very long, but i have changed the MAP because it was clogged solid, and changed the fuel filter housing for an upgraded version. It does run better now but i still feel like its underpowered. I can sit at 70mph on cruise @ 2000rpm but when i put my peddle to the floor....sometimes i get nothing, sometimes a get a brief spurt of turbo? This is the prob. Any ideas..? I have also unplugged the MAP sensor on the air filter box but it seems to have made zero difference to any performance. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. JR

Post subject: Re: Is ERG the prob?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:26 am 

Could be caused by many things including low boost, bad turbo vacuum controls, turbo vacuum piping issues, leaking boost hoses, leaking intercooler, leaking EGR valve if EGR system is still in service, FCV stuck partly closed, etc... You need to know what your actual boost is doing to diagnose properly.
Enclosed list can get you started, :wink:

Check List for low boost issues on Jeep CRD engine wrote:
    1. Check both boost hoses very closely for any crack or leaks. Check connections at both ends of hoses and make sure they are secure.
    2. Check rubber intake boot between air filter box and turbo and make sure it has not collapsed or come apart and sucked a piece of it into turbo suction.
    3. Failed FCV will stick partly closed and can severely limit air flow and boost into the intake manifold. The small gears in the operator for the FCV are notorious for failing and sticking.
    You can remove the butterfly plate out of the FCV very easily. There are only two small torx screws holding it to the shaft. Removing it only takes about 15-20 minutes. See picture.
    4. If your EGR system is still in service:
    A failed EGR valve stuck in a partly OPEN position will allow air flow and boost to bypass the intake manifold and dump back into the exhaust manifold. You can install a block off plate between the exhaust feed tube and the EGR valve to eliminate any leak by. See drawing.
    5. Check CAC (Charge Air Cooler/Intercooler) for any signs of leakage. Oily spots on tanks where tubes connect is an indication of leakage. Cracks have been found in the plastic tanks and blown seals where the tanks are crimped to the aluminum core.
    6. The Map Sensor controls boost through the ECM, so if it is defective or giving the ECM a bad pressure reading, it will cause low boost issues and poor engine performance. Remove, clean the MAP sensor with brake cleaner or replace with a new MAP Sensor, use a GM sensor, much cheaper than OEM: Part Numbers: GM 55206797 or New GM PN; 55568175. Google part number.
    7. Check all vacuum hoses and small plastic vacuum tubes and connections from connection at brake booster to turbo vane controls on right side of engine compartment. They are known for cracking, collapsing, breaking, etc... If this happens, it can greatly affect turbo boost output.
    *The small plastic vacuum tube that runs from the turbo vacuum modulator valve over to the turbo vane actuator has been found by some owners to be cracked or partly collapsed limiting turbo vanes operation. They are known for cracking, collapsing, breaking, etc... If this happens, it can greatly affect turbo boost output. Best to replace all vacuum lines and tube with high quality silicone vacuum hose; it is impervious to heat and oil.
    8. The turbo vacuum solenoid on the turbo vane control station has been known to go bad and not open fully and allow full stroke of the turbo vanes when the ECM calls for it. You can do a simple vacuum solenoid bypass test to rule it out as the problem. If it found to be bad, simply replace it. OEM PN: Vacuum Solenoid - 4606226AC See picture below.
    9. The turbo vacuum modulator valve could be faulty. It controls the amount of vacuum supplied to the turbo vanes actuator from a signal from the ECM. There is no simple test for it other than ruling everything else out and then just replacing it. Its OEM PN is: 52109543AA
    10. CAT (catalytic converter) could be stopped up. If it is, it will greatly limit turbo boost performance and will also limit engine power output.
    This list is not all inclusive, but it covers most of the main items to check for low boost issues.
NOTE: IDParts.com and SasquatchParts.com are both good sources of OEM replacement parts.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi, thanks for the great response. I will investigate all of these. Will unplugging the FCV have the same effect as removing the plate. I stuck my hand in and it was open and had spring to it. Couldn’t get a good angle to find the screws.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:50 pm 

Unplugging the FCV will prevent its operation, but it won't prevent it from sticking partly closed or its small gears in it operator from hanging up.
Only by removing the butterfly plate out of the FCV can you assure full disablement of its issues.

As to removing the butterfly plate, it is best to partly disassemble the valve assembly to easily get at the two small torx screws holding the butterfly plate to the shaft.
Once you remove the two torx screws, simply slide the butterfly plate out of the shaft, then reassemble the valve. see picture

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok, many thanks. I am blanking my EGR today so will do a that also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:52 pm 
LOST Member

Jtroc1975 wrote:
Ok, many thanks. I am blanking my EGR today so will do a that also.

Just remove the EGR, FCV, blank off the EGR exhaust feed tube, etc. I have a Synthetic EGR (SEGR) so my computer is happy happy! Without it then you will probably throw a Check Engine light.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter