It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Pressure Air Bleed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello group, I am in need of some assistance. I was recently having issues with my 2006 Liberty CRD losing fuel to the engine pump. Replaced filter head/prime pump and fuel supply line to eliminate air ingress but still couldn’t keep engine running without manually priming fuel using the hand pump. I installed the in-tank fuel pump to fix this common problem.
Problem is I started engine without purging air from supply line that drained during the pump installation. Engine started and ran for a minute or two and quickly stopped when engine speed was raised. Large leak code was present in OBD2. Lift pump is working as I can crack filter outlet line, turn key on & fuel flows. I suspect supply line is now fine and I have air in the high-pressure system that needs to be purged. My plan is to crack the fuel lines at each injector individually and crank engine over to purge. Wondering if there is experience with this or advice on HP purge. Thanks in advance. JBA

Update: Still having trouble with CRD. Maybe should have labelled post NO START rather than "High Pressure Air Bleed"
Background: Just added Sasquatch lift pump in tank. No problem, seems to work fine. Immediately after installing pump, engine started fine (although I forgot to purge air from line). When increased throttle slightly, engine immediately stopped and hasn’t attempted to run since. Rail is not pressurizing during crank attempt.

What I’ve done: Bleed line at each injector (several times), removed line at regulating valve on rail and confirmed NO fuel flow during cranking, confirmed no fuel through injector return line, installed temporary 10k digital gauge at #1 injector port and cranked engine, no pressure build (<100 PSIG). Cracking line from pump confirms fuel pulses from pump, although hard to quantify amount. Unplugged connector at solenoid valve at pump, no change. New filter head recently installed.
Lift pump is working. I crack filter head outlet connection and turn key on, fuel flows. One thing that seems unusual is the in-tank pump will flow through to the injector rail. I can crack inlet line from pump at rail and turn key on and fuel will flow. When I installed pressure gauge, fuel rail pressure would rise to appx 10 PSI with key on and without cranking.

Is there a way to further check quantity solenoid at pump? I have not checked to see if fuel is bypassing during cranking. Thx -JBA

Update - sorry I forgot to post the final outcome... Ended up pulling CP3 pump and sending to Oregon Fuel Injection for testing. They were very helpful and confirmed pump failed high pressure test. Replaced pump with Bosch reman, primed and all is well. Also took opportunity to replace timing belt and other related items.

Last edited by JBAWFNC on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: High Pressure Air Bleed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Have you checked the solenoid at the end of the fuel rail?
If you take the hose off & crank the engine, little or no fuel should flow out of the pipe that the hose was connected to.