It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driver's Window Slumping Forward
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

I've had a minor problem with my driver's window for a while now, every so often when the window is down and I am trying to move it back up it will get stuck after going up about 2" or so. At first I thought it was the window motor/transport mechanism and was getting ready to order a new one, but recently I have noticed that when the window "sticks" it has tilted forward a bit so that the top of the window is out of the rear window channel. If I grab the top of the window and give it a tug to put it back into its channel, it goes up the rest of the way just fine. This doesn't happen every time, but is happening more and more lately (perhaps related to cold weather?).

So my question for those more familiar with these windows, what is wrong here? I am happy to replace the motor/drive mechanism, but I have a suspicion that isn't going to fix this. What might be causing the window to "slump" forward when it is going up?

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Driver's Window Slumping Forward
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello, Steve777:

This is apparently the go-to place for this problem...

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13003.html

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13007.html

Steiger has had these products for years; you may want to contact him to make sure he has the precise part to solve your problem. Apparently the right part depends upon which window and what year of vehicle.

jon@steigerperformance.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:03 pm 
LOST Member

I am aware of that issue with the window mechanism, where the glass comes loose and falls down (had it and fixed it on a few other doors). But that isn't what is happening here (at least not yet). The window mechanism seems fine as long as the window glass stays in its channel, and works fine once you pull the slumping window back into the channel.

Turbo, are you saying that this slumping is the first stage of the connection piece that holds the window breaking apart? If so, a new mechanism or one of those aftermarket thingies is in my future.

I had just hoped that someone here might have seen these symptoms before and can give me a clue what's in need of replacing here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Steve777 wrote:
I am aware of that issue with the window mechanism, where the glass comes loose and falls down (had it and fixed it on a few other doors). But that isn't what is happening here (at least not yet). The window mechanism seems fine as long as the window glass stays in its channel, and works fine once you pull the slumping window back into the channel.

Turbo, are you saying that this slumping is the first stage of the connection piece that holds the window breaking apart? If so, a new mechanism or one of those aftermarket thingies is in my future.

I had just hoped that someone here might have seen these symptoms before and can give me a clue what's in need of replacing here...

I am not saying anything or suggesting anything at all. I had window regulator problems on one of my CRDs when it was still under warranty, so I had it fixed at the stealership for free. This was years ago, so I do not recall the specific problems with my window rolling mechanisms.

I thought that the Steiger Performance upgrade parts was kind of a cure-all for all of the KJ Liberty window problems. I am sorry that I can not be any further help to you...

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks TDF. Looks like I will be pulling the door panels and investigating, maybe this weekend if this next snow isn't too bad. Will post back what I find...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:44 pm 
LOST Member

Finally got to take the inner door panel off and have a look. It is the new style (hole in window) type regulator. The mount itself seemed fine no play on the rail, except that the window has some play in the mount even when fully clipped in. Might have been a cushion in there at some point to take up some of the slack.

Will probably replace the mount piece once the weather warms some. Until then I lubed the rail and for now things seems better.