It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oily smoke and oil dripping from exhaust
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 CRD with about 150k miles. It runs and starts well. Ive done much work on it and was surprised when it started smoking a week ago. It has gotten worse. After sitting all night the next morning it will blow a lot of grey/blue smoke out the exhaust until it gets hot/warm then stops and will not burn it again until it sets over night then smokes again until warm. If it sets and idles in the morning it acutally blows/drips oil out the exhaust pipe.

I have a feeling it is either bad valve stem seals or an exhaust side turbo seal????

Anyone with experience on this or advice?

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject: Re: Oily smoke and oil dripping from exhaust
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:50 pm 

Are you loosing engine oil level, or loosing coolant level in coolant reservoir?
If you are loosing engine oil level, could be a turbo seal.
If you are loosing coolant level in the coolant tank, you could have blown a head gasket or worse yet have a cracked head.

:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:13 am 
LOST Newbie

No coolant loss. And the smoke is grey not white and smells of oil. Plus it is dripping from the exhaust pipe......... My thought was turbo also. Just wanted more opinions before going further.

Thanks,
Randy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:47 pm 

Reckard wrote:
No coolant loss. And the smoke is grey not white and smells of oil. Plus it is dripping from the exhaust pipe......... My thought was turbo also. Just wanted more opinions before going further.
Thanks,
Randy

Are you loosing any engine oil level?
If it is being sucked out by the turbo or if the exhaust side turbo seal is leaking, you should see a decrease in in engine oil level.
Be careful, there have been a few reports of the turbo sucking ALL the oil out of the engine causing bearing failures.

Also, if the suction side turbo seal starts leaking bad enough, it could cause the engine to have what is called an "engine runaway" which is an uncontrolled engine RPM acceleration due to the engine actually consuming and running on engine oil rather than diesel fuel. :grim:
This could cause a catastrophic engine failure which you do not want to happen!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

Intake valve stem seals on these rarely fail but it's not impossible. You could also have a broken injector tip causing fuel to leak out even after it is shut off. If you see no oil level loss, I'd be pulling your injectors and having them tested. If they are originals they are past due for rebuilding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:40 am 
LOST Newbie

It is definitely losing oil. I ordered a new turbo yesterday. Last evening I took off most things around the turbo so I could get to it. The hoses are very oily coming from the turbo. The studs/nuts holding it to the exhaust manifold appear difficult to access. Does anyone have any advice on this or is it just a painful process? Are there any videos here showing the Removal/install?

Thanks,
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:22 pm 
LOST Member

There is a turbo support bracket on the underside that needs removed first (big pain). Then remove the turbo oil drain tube from the underside of the turbo (an even bigger pain). Then remove the turbo from the manifold (not as bad a pain).