It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission rebuild cost, is it worth it ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

So the Liberty left my wife stranded last week with a transmission failure, to me it sounded like a torque converter failure, but I guess until it is apart they wont know for sure.
I was quoted 3k plus tax and fluids from a trans place I have used before with satisfactory results, just wondering if that number is competitive.
What say you guys ?
My wifes commute to work went from 3 miles in less than 10 minutes to 15 miles and 45 minutes recently, she has told me that she would like a new vehicle, I guess 14 years is enough for her, so the Liberty is apparently a short timer.

So now Im starting to wonder if it makes sense to fix the transmission...What is an 05 Liberty CRD worth these days?
2005 limited,red, leather under 150k i think well maintained,no rot as yet, everything works (except for the tpms)

Thanks, steve

jba lift , 245/70/17. wifes ride want to keep it going as long as possible...

Post subject: Re: transmission rebuild cost, is it worth it ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

$3,000 seems a little high to me but everything is high any more. Cars and trucks are a terrible investment (for the most part) but a necessity. New car prices are insane and the extra payments plus insurance can be used for accelerating your house payment or for vacations. But don't listen to me, I'm a cheap sensored word. :2cents:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:49 pm 

These are very robust transmissions; if it is just a simply torque converter failure, I would have the shop replace/upgrade the TC with a new much better unit and replace the front pump in the transmission while it is out an install a TranGo kit. Replace/renew filters and fluid also.
Or
Find a good used transmission (545RFE) out of a Jeep or Dodge Ram truck, there are plenty of these transmissions available on the used market since they were used in a multitude of Chrysler vehicles. But just remember, the torque converter is specific to the diesel engine due to its much lower operating RPMs. Gas TC's have much higher stall speeds vs diesel ones. :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
These are very robust transmissions; if it is just a simply torque converter failure, I would have the shop replace/upgrade the TC with a new much better unit and replace the front pump in the transmission while it is out an install a TranGo kit. Replace/renew filters and fluid also.
Or
Find a good used transmission (545RFE) out of a Jeep or Dodge Ram truck, there are plenty of these transmissions available on the used market since they were used in a multitude of Chrysler vehicles. But just remember, the torque converter is specific to the diesel engine due to its much lower operating RPMs. Gas TC's have much higher stall speeds vs diesel ones. :juggle:

It turns out that the "euro spec" torque converter failed in spectacular fashion....it spit its innards out and caused havoc because my wife was trying to limp it off the road Upon disassembly the friction surfaces were rather burnt, so it got full rebuilt from a shop i trust. Cost me 4300 (no usable cores) and i guess im hanging on to it for a while more

jba lift , 245/70/17. wifes ride want to keep it going as long as possible...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:36 pm 

riggler wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Or

It turns out that the "euro spec" torque converter failed in spectacular fashion....it spit its innards out and caused havoc because my wife was trying to limp it off the road Upon disassembly the friction surfaces were rather burnt, so it got full rebuilt from a shop i trust. Cost me 4300 (no usable cores) and i guess i'm hanging on to it for a while more

Ouch & WOW! :shock: :shock: Never been a fan of the "euro spec" torque converters. I always say buy the best one available like a SunCoast TC. Buy once and cry once, but it will last you a lifetime.
That overhaul cost is about twice the cost of what they get in my area for a complete rebuild of a 545RFE.
I hope you got a much better torque converter with your new rebuild so you don't encounter this problem again?
:juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount