It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 Crank no start after timing belt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Good day all. I recently did all new rockers, timing belt,water pump,new pulleys the whole shebang. FIRST My jeep developed a popping noise. I had thought it may have skipped a tooth on the timing belt. I'm the second owner and got my jeep with over 200K miles. According to the previous owner he never did any work aside from oil changes. So I purchased the timing belt kit and went ahead to change it. I changed the belt and water pump no problem. I pinned the flywheel lined up all the marks fuel pump cams etc. I work on BIG diesels all day everyday so timing was done correctly. Anyways I changed the timing belt and started the engine with no problem, BUT the popping noise was still there. I decided to open her up (knowing already what was going on) and my assumption was correct. I had 2 completely broken rockers and 4 rockers that were just about ready to come apart. I purchased all new rockers set new gaskets and went ahead and did the work. After putting her back together went to start her and just crank but no start. I know I did everything right. I have my NOID lights and when I crank it. The light bling 5-6 times then I loose power. the injectors are not firing. Changed the cam sensor and still no spark. A friend of mine thinks my security system may be activated but I never heard of this happening. Checked everything again and verified all the timing marks. What i dont understand is when i just changed the belt it fired up like nothing. now just cranks over and looses signal to the injectors Please help

Post subject: Re: 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 Crank no start after timing be
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:59 am 
LOST Member

Just a few thoughts that might help you out. I'm sure other will chime in and give there thoughts.

Did you make sure that the CAM sensor wire plug and the #4 injector wire plug are not swapped? They look the same and can be plugged into each other. Its has been an issues for people before in the past when they do this kind of work and then the jeep won't start.

Also, since you have an 06' there is a wire chaffing problem with a ground behind the fuel filter. Might want to check that area to make sure everything looks good since you had to move the wire harness bundle out of the way to lift the head off to change the rockers.

Let us know what you find

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm 

03black wrote:
Just a few thoughts that might help you out. I'm sure other will chime in and give there thoughts.
Did you make sure that the CAM sensor wire plug and the #4 injector wire plug are not swapped? They look the same and can be plugged into each other. Its has been an issues for people before in the past when they do this kind of work and then the jeep won't start.
Also, since you have an 06' there is a wire chaffing problem with a ground behind the fuel filter. Might want to check that area to make sure everything looks good since you had to move the wire harness bundle out of the way to lift the head off to change the rockers.

Good advice! I had the same thought about the CAM sensor/#4 Injector connectors when I read his post.

CheckList for No Start:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:51 am 
LOST Member

So did you use the locating pins in the cams to time it? Hate to tell you this but if you were that far into it you should have installed a new head gasket and head studs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

03black wrote:

Hello all thanks for your help. I absolutely checked and double checked everything. As good practice I mark and color code all my plugs, so I know that all my plugs are in the right place. I walked away from the Jeep for a few days and just ordered a new crank sensor. it should arrive next week. i did change the cam sensor and still nothing. My Snap on scanner will not read it maybe because its for BIG RIGS and equipment. I have a pocket scanner that connects to my phone and im able to read my pressures. All pressures fine just no spark to wake her up. I will resume on this project when the parts come in and i will keep you posted.
Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
So did you use the locating pins in the cams to time it? Hate to tell you this but if you were that far into it you should have installed a new head gasket and head studs.

Yes sir did all the timing correctly. Pinned both cams and marked and locked both gears pinned flywheel fuel pump on the mark and crank on the mark. I didn't do anything to the head it was left alone. no need to fix whats not broken. I have the crank sensor coming and will try it see if it fixes the problem thx for your help