It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dilemma: Keep my GDE tune OR Flash to stock to delete P0610
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

So right after a battery change at O'reilly's i saw a CEL for PO610. Nothing changed with how the Jeep drives. Code cant be cleared without a flash. Was going to read my GDE eco-tune with MPPS and delete the P0610 code in ECM titanium. Turns out it's not that simple with a GDE tune. According to DIY ECU Flash thread the only way to do this is to have the GDE programming tool to first flash to stock to get rid of CEL and then re-flash the GDE tune with your pre-loaded GDE programming tool. Again, as I understand it to flash a GDE tune you either need a GDE tool pre-loaded with a tune specific to your VIN/ECU or have sent your ECU in to GDE to have it tuned. I did the latter. Actually I had GDE send me a tuned ECM and then I sent them my original ECM in exchange. (side note after doing a Full Read/save with MPPS the filename saved as 1037377526 yet when opening in notepad the first line showed as a 10373780808P53363K0. So is it a 526 or 808 software?
So my dilemma is should I flash to stock, either at stealership or shop and then flash a DIY tune with the P0610 deleted. If I do this will I lose my GDE tune for good being that GDE doesn't offer support for their ECU tunes any more and I never had a pre-loaded programming tool. Is there another path to keeping my GDE tune while removing the P0610 CEL.
Reason I want to do this is I live in the Denver area and to pass emissions you can't have a CEL of any kind for diesels. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Dilemma: Keep my GDE tune OR Flash to stock to delete P0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:55 pm 

This is a tough one!
Lots of possibilities that could set a P0610 DTC.
I am assuming based on your post, the P0610 trouble code will not clear or reset?

Basically, the P0610 code indicates that there is an internal memory fault in the ECM or one of the other connected supporting modules.
The most likely problem that triggers a P0610 code is a possible open or shorted ECM circuit. This problem can be caused by a faulty ECM,
or
    Corroded or damaged wiring or connectors to the CAN (control area network) bus harness
    A loose or bad ground for one of the control modules
    A defective or damaged CAN bus
modules:
    Antilock brake control module
    Body control module
    Transmission control module

With an OBD-II scanner, can you read which codes the ECM might have stored in memory (soft codes) and see if there are any other stored or pending codes that might point to the root of what caused the code to set?
A P0610 code is often caused by an electrical failure or communication failure or fault, which means that it may set off other codes and symptoms.
You need to find the cause of the P0610 code first and then move on to fixing what may have triggered it. Could be one of the other onboard modules that communicates with the ECM?
Do a visual inspection of all relevant wiring, harnesses, connectors, grounds, and circuits. A Volt/Ohm meter is your friend!

If your ECM has gone bad, very rarely happens, you will have to get a good used one and have a dealer or programmer reprogram it with the correct VIN number, SKIM data, and injector codes. You will loose your GDE tune since you said you don't have one of their tuners.
If you replace your ECM, you can always get Marco (Yeti), on this forum, to provide you with a much better tune.

Good luck! :POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: Dilemma: Keep my GDE tune OR Flash to stock to delete P0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice! Being that it popped up right after the battery change and others have said this code is often the result of a bad jumpstart. I just assumed it was related to that. Little OBDII scanner I have says P0610: Control unit:12 Status: Validated and stored in non-volatile memory. Used my buddy's Autel Maxisys a while back and a couple more codes popped up that I cleared. If I remember right they were related to ABS and traction control and maybe TCM related something...sooo I'll have to check out those. All I had done so far is take out the ECM and clean that up and check out all the connections on that side of the engine. Guess I gotta re-familiarize myself with my multi-meter and start poking around. Thanks again.