It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crd transmission failure
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Looking for anyone that has had their crd transmission just fail without any warning. Last night I was driving about 35 mph through a light . Was accelerating slightly up to the 45 mph limit. All of a sudden transmission just failed. Tachometer went up but truck was slowing down. I tried pulling truck into 4x4 but still had nothing. Motor was running fine. Had truck towed home. Any ideas on where to start with the transmission trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Crd transmission failure
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:27 pm 

Is fluid level normal and does it look ok? Not black or dark looking or does it smell of a burnt odor?
Lots of possibilities, front pump failed, torque converter failed, torque converter flexplate (flywhee) failure (if this happened, starter will not engage or restart engine), transfer case internal failure.

For starters,
drop pan and service transmission, new filters and new fluid. When you drop the pan, had either of the filters fell off their mounts? There are two of them.
Put vehicle on a lift or jack it up with both rear tires off the ground. With engine off and transmission in Park, can you rotate the rear driveshaft by hand (E brake off)?
:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I checked fluid. Level good. Fluid clean. No burnt smell. I added a little and started the truck. Put in gear. Rechecked the fluid. It didn't seam as if the newly added fluid mixed in. Stick had alot of new red color. I jacked rear-end up as you mentioned. In park tires wont move. With motor not running tires turn in all positions except park. With motor running, tires turn with some resistance but won't turn under trucks own power. I have not yet had a chance to drop the pan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:29 pm 

hammerboyone wrote:
I checked fluid. Level good. Fluid clean. No burnt smell. I added a little and started the truck. Put in gear. Rechecked the fluid. It didn't seam as if the newly added fluid mixed in. Stick had alot of new red color. I jacked rear-end up as you mentioned. In park tires wont move. With motor not running tires turn in all positions except park. With motor running, tires turn with some resistance but won't turn under trucks own power. I have not yet had a chance to drop the pan.

Based on your tests, sounds like you are losing motive power between engine and transmission? Could be different things, but loss of hydraulic pressure in transmission is highly suspect. Dropping pan and inspection of filters is one of the next logical steps.
Or
Get it towed to a good transmission shop and let them diagnose the issue for you. A good transmission shop is well versed in diagnosing these types of issues and should have the proper test equipment to test hydraulic line pressure. They also have the experience to know what to look for.
:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have talked with a shop that i trust. Now im Waiting to get it in for them to do their thing. I know they will fix the issue. so now i need to figure how far i should go into upgrades. i have read many , many posts on different ones. I'm just seeing that the transmission will more then likely need to be removed so ,, now is the time. im not looking to break my bank. i just recently had to replace the turbo. So this is not good timing... Never is.. What Upgrades should be done now ,as to me not regretting later.. My truck has had the 37F shutter since it was done many miles ago.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:27 pm 

The basic upgrades to make the transmission reliable on the Jeep CRD while you have the transmission removed are:
1. Replace the front pump assembly with the updated version if it has not been done recently.
2. Install a TransGo Kit. Helps by increasing line pressure and with quicker shifts to help increase clutch life.
3. Install a better proven Torque Converter such as the SunCoast TC or the Florida Torque Converter.
---The SunCoast is the very best and proven leader, but it is not cheap, but will last a lifetime and you will never have to buy one again.
---You must call them to order one as they custom build them for the Jeep CRD. Not listed on their Website.
---Contact Toll-Free: 800-868-0053
---Phone: 850-864-2361
---Email: info@suncoastconverters.com

---The Florida Torque Converter has been installed by quite a few owners with very good reviews.
--- https://floridatorqueconverters.com/Jeep-Torque-Converter-13-35-LS-SD.html

Quote:
Personally, I have the SunCoast TC's in my Dodge Cummins Truck and in my Jeep CRD so I can attest to their performance and longevity. In service over 20 years in Dodge Cummins, and 9 years in my Jeep CRD with no issues on either. They are bullet proof when towing heavy loads/trailers.
I have no personal experience with the Florida TC's, but can only go on what has been posted by others on the forums. You can do your own research on them.

4. Install an aluminum PML deep sump oil pan to increase the transmission fluid capacity and helps with additional cooling of the fluid especially in hot weather when towing loaded trailers. Part Number 10304
https://yourcovers.com/pml-chrysler-dodge-68rfe-66rfe-65rfe-545rfe-45rfe-deep-transmission-pan.html

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

Did you get a check engine light but no code?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Did you get your transmission fixed? Did you upgrade it? How does it drive now?

My transmission just did the same exact thing you are describing so deciding what I should do next. Thanks.