It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thermostat Housing Mod
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

@DieselJeepLuvr

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 00&jsn=925

ON EDIT-- NEVER mind about the failsafe thermostats !!!

A little more research shows that they tend to "fail open" around 220*F ...which is still too close to normal operating temperatures under some circumstances (think towing).
That means a failsafe thermostat tend to lock open and thus tend to fail more often then a standard thermostat.

Of course, once a failsafe thermostat locks open, it stays open until replaced.
Perhaps a good idea, but definitely poorly implemented, and to be AVOIDED.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/warni ... at.872316/

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

Last edited by seafish on Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:19 am 
LOST Newbie

@DieselJeepLuvr

Got the core refund already.

Gotta love the quick, across the board customer service.

Thanks again.

"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:57 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the good review! Curious as to how it handles under load in hot weather towing situations. It is a higher flowing thermostat than stock so I'd imagine it will handle cooling better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Thanks for the good review! Curious as to how it handles under load in hot weather towing situations. It is a higher flowing thermostat than stock so I'd imagine it will handle cooling better.

I have NO doubt that the higher temp and higher flow thermostat replacement, along with the 3.7 11 blade fan mod I installed at the same time, will ONLY help my KJ CRD run hotter, cleaner and more efficiently, while ALSO letting the radiator more easily maintain the higher operating temperatures.

IOW, particularly when combined with the HD fan clutch and 11 blade fan mod, your thermostat housing replacement is part of a win/win scenario!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:39 pm 
LOST Member

So an apology and update. Apparently the installation instructions sent with your new Modded Thermostat showed the wrong replacement Gates model. It is supposed to be Gates 34053 NOT 34198!

I'm blaming :5SHOTS:

R

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
So an apology and update. Apparently the installation instructions sent with your new Modded Thermostat showed the wrong replacement Gates model. It is supposed to be Gates 34053 NOT 34198!

I'm blaming :5SHOTS:

R

Instructions, what instructions...threw those away first!!! :shock:

NOT worried about a typo.... as long as it has the correct thermostat in it already!!! :goink:

More importantly, I just sent you a PM with an important question on the THREAD SIZE and TAPER of one the fittings going into the thermostat housing...would MUCH appreciate a reply ASAP as I would like to replace it with a 90* barb instead, full well knowing it might be hard to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:50 am 
LOST Member

Ugh. You would! I responded to your message darn it! Why are you not responding??? Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
Ugh. You would! I responded to your message darn it! Why are you not responding??? Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

For some reason I am NOT receiving your private messages...I dont think its on my end as member WWDiesel and I have been freely exchanging PM's about other things.

Try emailing me directly iisseafish@gmail.com ??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

Update: I am no longer accepting extra cores for credit. Thank you for all the people who sent in multiples. I now have a good stock of them so I can keep them on the shelf ready to ship.