It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New rebuild, clogged oil passage!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, so this is a continuation of the saga of this rebuild. The electrical starting problem wasn't electrical, Flash had the right idea, but it was a leaky injector, not coolant that had filled a cylinder! Good thing it didnt get going!
Anyhow, the amazing news is that that injector saved my rebuild (or most of it hopefully), as the engine also doesn't have oil making it to the top end! 45 seconds of cranking with no glow plugs and zero oil up top.
-zero oil back down to oil pressure sender, and so of course none to the filter either. Dry as a bone.
After I figured this all out, I remembered that this block had fried all of its bearings which I thought was probably a turbo failure, but it didnt come with a turbo from the junkyard...
So, perhaps the oil passage was already clogged, and the machine shop didnt get the obstruction out when I had them clean the bare block.
My question is, does anyone know where to find a diagram of flow from the oil pump up, so I can figure out how far I need to disassemble to prod around for the clog? I'll probably pull the head and oil pump so I can get the debris washed down into the pan so it doesn't waste some bearings. Of course this is actually why I paid the machine shop handsomely to clean the block...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: New rebuild, clogged oil passage!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Or the oil pump somehow got wiped out

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

WW will hopefully post a diagram.

It starts with the pickup in the pan.
Then to the pump.
Then the oil cooler on the side of the block.
Then down to the filter.
Then up to the crank and head.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Cool, thanks. At least that gives me several places that I can get into with pulling the head or worse. I'll be snaking every passage in the future if possible!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:51 pm 
LOST Addict

I hate to ask this but...

Did you remember to attach the pickup in the pan?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have a diagram, problem is getting the pic posted on here. After the pump is also the pressure relief valve.

Pan->pump->pressure relief valve->cooler->filter->oil gallery. Book says head gasket has built in restrictor, and is also fed oil from both ends of the gallery.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:06 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
I hate to ask this but...

Did you remember to attach the pickup in the pan?

Definitely worth asking! But luckily I did remember the pickup. I took my time, but may still have done something stupid.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:13 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
I have a diagram, problem is getting the pic posted on here. After the pump is also the pressure relief valve.

Pan->pump->pressure relief valve->cooler->filter->oil gallery. Book says head gasket has built in restrictor, and is also fed oil from both ends of the gallery.

Thanks! I don't remember checking the relief valve on this one, and they are just press fit, so it might have popped out at the machine shop. You'd understand if you saw the shop I go to, it looks like a bomb went off in there. Seriously trash and everything else everywhere! But, I've only had them resurface heads and clean up this one block. Over a dozen heads with no problems anyhow. Oh, and they have good prices!

Anyhow, I'm guessing the oil cooler is the most likely candidate to get completely plugged?
Could the front cover have a bad seal and cause cavitation, or drawing of air from the top (top of cover above the oil level) and thereby not leak any oil?

Thinking of pulling oil cooler first...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:55 am 

I have these on on file:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:27 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks WW!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:36 pm 

Remove the factory oil pressure sensor and install a temporary mechanical pressure gauge.
If you have good oil pressure at this location, you have just ruled out the oil pump, the oil pressure relief valve, and the oil cooler.
If you have little or no pressure at this location, your problem is either the oil pump pickup, oil pump, pressure relief valve, or the oil cooler.
I find it kind of hard to believe that the oil cooler could stop up, but on these engines I guess anything is possible.
:POPCORN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:45 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Remove the factory oil pressure sensor and install a temporary mechanical pressure gauge.
If you have good oil pressure at this location, you have just ruled out the oil pump, the oil pressure relief valve, and the oil cooler.
If you have little or no pressure at this location, your problem is either the oil pump pickup, oil pump, pressure relief valve, or the oil cooler.
I find it kind of hard to believe that the oil cooler could stop up, but on these engines I guess anything is possible.
:POPCORN:

Thanks again, hopefully I'll get to it this coming week.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Second one to have this problem. Mountainman, Have you checked out Capt. Dean's thread? There are more oil passages he's had problems with also.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87478&hilit=%2Aclinking%2Aclanking%2A&start=460

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Second one to have this problem. Mountainman, Have you checked out Capt. Dean's thread? There are more oil passages he's had problems with also.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87478&hilit=%2Aclinking%2Aclanking%2A&start=460

Thanks! I just read that thread, interesting. I'm going to pull the front hex plug on an engine I have on the shop floor hopefully tomorrow and learn some more before I decide what to pull. There's definitely zero pressure passing to the filter. Complete blockage seems unlikely, so it's probably the pump, and I'm not looking forward to my first in vehicle front seal!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/0 ... oposition/

Good read. Worrisome that this article talks about hundreds of thousands of cycles on the overpressure valve, as you have to at least lift the engine to access the pan/valve. I assumed that our engine only uses this valve when there's a problem, but this article seems to dispute that. Hopefully I can get a scope from the oil pump to the over pressure spring to at least see if it is broken. The learning never ends on this platform!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/06/risk-vs-reward-comes-oil-pumps-knowing-whether-reuse-rebuild-replace-can-high-pressure-proposition/

Good read. Worrisome that this article talks about hundreds of thousands of cycles on the overpressure valve, as you have to at least lift the engine to access the pan/valve. I assumed that our engine only uses this valve when there's a problem, but this article seems to dispute that. Hopefully I can get a scope from the oil pump to the over pressure spring to at least see if it is broken. The learning never ends on this platform!

You will probably find the over pressure valve opens when ever a cold engine starts to prevent over pressure killing bearings & making the filter seal leak. Without it, a cold engine can see over 100 psi oil pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

That makes sense. Also makes sense that the spring is broken as this block had smoked bearings, all of the bearings :banghead:
I figured it was a turbo blow out...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:10 am 
LOST Member

Pan can be removed if you drop the front crossmember and I think the front drive shaft. A bit of a hang up with the steering rack but in my case, I was able to leave it connected.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

The oil pressure relief valve is more for protecting the oil filter, galley plugs and gaskets, IMO. While the can of the filter has higher burst pressure than 100psi you can have media collapse with too much pressure differential.
Since the oil pump is direct drive off the crank it can handle the load unlike SBC/BBC. On other engines the oil pump is driven through the timing chain, oil pump drive etc and excessive pressure causes excessive wear.

These threads are why I add some ATF to the oil and run at high idle for a few minutes before draining.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:31 pm 
LOST Addict

senatorjohn wrote:
Pan can be removed if you drop the front crossmember and I think the front drive shaft. A bit of a hang up with the steering rack but in my case, I was able to leave it connected.

You mean k-frame vs front crossmember?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete