It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Liberty CRD, needs head gasket. $3K, Oklahoma City Area
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:37 pm 

Well, the truly unfortunate has happened.

Last Saturday, my wife and I were out running some errands in the CRD when I noticed the temperature gauge starting to climb. I turned the cabin heat to max and the fan to high, but it kept climbing. Figuring that a hose had split, I killed the engine and coasted into a nearby gas station. Upon exiting the vehicle, the sounds (and smells) of boiling over were evident. After letting it sit for a while, I turned the cap on the overflow bottle to the depressurise position, and watched as oil came pouring out of the bottle. darn.

Anyway, we've really loved this Jeep but have decided that it's time for someone else to take it on as a project. Frankly, I'd do it as long-term project, but as we don't have a garage that's out of the question. Please note that I cannot part out the vehicle; I simply do not have the time due to work obligations..

The Jeep in question is a 2005 CRD Limited, 198,350 (approx.) miles. Inferno Red with grey leather interior and came with pretty much every option except a sunroof. Looking for $3000, and it's located roughly 20 minutes South of Oklahoma City right off of I-35. Here's a shortlist of what's been done to it over the 6.5 years we've had it:

• OME 2.5" lift with IRO rear upper control arm, WWDiesel adapter mount for same, extended bumpstops (Teraflex) at front, JBA front upper A-Arms
  • 245/75R16 BFG T/A KO2s (including the spare) with about 60% of tread remaining
  • Sasquatch in-tank lift pump and wiring harness
  • Bosch 5V metallic glow plugs
  • Full set (front suspension, engine / transmission, transfer case, fuel tank) of Skid Row skidplates
  • Provent 200 (filter changed within last month) and silicone CCV hoses (Sasquatch)
  • Silicone intake hoses between the airbox and intake manifold (Samco / Sasquatch)
  • Airbox has the 4" Home Depot intake mod (V6 and spare CRD airbox included) and Dodge Charger air filter (installed within last month)
  • New intake temperature sensor (installed within last month)
  • Replaced driver's seat cushion leather in October; seat back is in good shape
  • Suncoast torque converter and Hayden 678 auxiliary transmission cooler
  • HDS Model 001 thermostat housing with Gates 34059S 190°F thermostat installed
  • GM fan clutch and 11-blade fan upgrade
  • Replaced viscous heater with WWDiesel's delete kit last year
  • Replaced radiator and condenser / stock transmission cooler within last 5 years
  • Timing belt, tensioners, and water pump at 151,000 miles (done by @geordi)
  • Oil Cooler replaced late 2023 (would have to check bills for date; didn't do this one as I was working out of town at the time)
  • Fumoto oil drain; installed Glowshift oil filter sandwich adapter to reroute Provent drain (with Provent one-way valve) to unfiltered oil flowing into filter (not installed, but included)
  • Full LED conversion of all exterior lighting, including headlights and fog lights (headlights are 7" sealed-beam type on adapters)
  • Replaced driver's side rear window regulator (2020-ish)
  • Added Renegade tail lights with guards (stock ones included)
  • Installed RV shore power inlet in front bumper for block heater and battery blanket
  • Installed front 2" receivers in place of tow hooks; professionally welded to factory tow hook brackets
  • New front turn signal lenses
  • Kenwood media player head unit with Pioneer speakers; hands-free mic and adapter for steering wheel controls also installed

There's more that I'm forgetting, but that should hit the highlights. Shoot me a PM (forum email is still broken) and we can go from there. Thanks!

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty CRD, needs head gasket. $3K, Oklahoma City
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:00 am 
LOST Member

So have one of our roving mechanics replace everything from the head gasket on up. Should be good for another 200k after that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 am 
LOST Member

You've been with us a very long time. We'd hate to see you go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:18 pm 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
So have one of our roving mechanics replace everything from the head gasket on up. Should be good for another 200k after that.

I'd love to, but downtime is a consideration here (i.e.: I need a working vehicle, like, yesterday). The replacement has already been purchased - or at least financed - so as of the 9th of February I'll be in something else. Not diesel, but at least it has a decent torque figure for what it is.

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

Thank you :) I'm not planning on just dropping out, but it's pretty clear that my focus will be elsewhere for the time being.

That said, if anyone wants a CRD that's in decent shape other than the head gasket... :mrgreen:

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

casm wrote:
Well, the truly unfortunate has happened.

Last Saturday, my wife and I were out running some errands in the CRD when I noticed the temperature gauge starting to climb. I turned the cabin heat to max and the fan to high, but it kept climbing. Figuring that a hose had split, I killed the engine and coasted into a nearby gas station. Upon exiting the vehicle, the sounds (and smells) of boiling over were evident. After letting it sit for a while, I turned the cap on the overflow bottle to the depressurise position, and watched as oil came pouring out of the bottle. darn.

may not be the HG. could be the oil cooler or egr cooler (if its still there). Unusual for the HG to just fail like that. Normally they start as a small leak with bubbles in the top tank. As oil is in the overflow bottle, it means its high-pressure oil that is leaking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:23 pm 

Perform this test.
Quote:
Jeep CRD Head Gasket Cold Engine Leak Test Procedure:
    1. Engine off, cold engine preferably after setting overnight.
    2. Remove the coolant reservoir cap located on top of the expansion tank to release any existing pressure that is still in the system and then replace the coolant reservoir cap tightly.
    3. Start the cold engine and let it run for 60 seconds (1 minute) and no longer, then shut engine off.
    4. Remove the coolant reservoir cap on top of the expansion tank again and listen closely and be attentive to note if any pressure escapes from the coolant reservoir. Even the most miniscule amount of built-up pressure escaping from the coolant system after only 60 seconds of run time would indicate a head gasket leak or worse, a possible cracked head.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:23 am 
LOST Member

casm wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

I'd love to, but downtime is a consideration here (i.e.: I need a working vehicle, like, yesterday). The replacement has already been purchased - or at least financed - so as of the 9th of February I'll be in something else. Not diesel, but at least it has a decent torque figure for what it is.

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:

Thank you :) I'm not planning on just dropping out, but it's pretty clear that my focus will be elsewhere for the time being.

That said, if anyone wants a CRD that's in decent shape other than the head gasket... :mrgreen:

Well shoot me a message. Maybe I'll do a road trip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 am 
LOST Addict

Very suspicious that the oil cooler was recently replaced :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:

I agree with you MM. The grands have this happen at times. Always the cooler. They are known for filling the top tank with oil.
My old XJ diesel had a bad oil leak at an Oring on the oil cooler. Just leaked onto the ground.
If you look at the high-pressure oil supply to the head, it is more likely to be externally leaking than finding its way into the coolant.
Whoever gets the jeep, it could be a very cheap fix! Maybe needs another new cooler or just a cooler gasket. A PITA of a job to do a cooler!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:07 am 

layback40 wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Whoever gets the jeep, it could be a very cheap fix! Maybe needs another new cooler or just a cooler gasket. A PITA of a job to do a cooler!

For someone with the time and space to look into it properly, it could potentially be a straightforward fix. I just don't have the time or space to properly invest in figuring it out, so it unfortunately needs to find a new home.

@DieselJeepLuvr, I shot you a PM. Sorry for the delay.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:

Though the oil cooler can inject oil into the cooling system, it won't cause an over pressure situation like he described. Only a blown head gasket will. It will probably need a new head as well considering miles and overheating.