It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a rear drive line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

Coming up on 300k miles and need to replace the rear drive line. Other then OEM which looks to be crazy expensive, any suggestion on brand? I do have a 2“ frankin lift

Thanks

Beaverton Oregon

Post subject: Re: Need a rear drive line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

What's wrong with yours? If its not bent you can replace the U-joints relatively easily. I would suggest Moog joints with a grease fittings.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:57 pm 

03black wrote:
What's wrong with yours? If its not bent you can replace the U-joints relatively easily. I would suggest Moog joints with a grease fittings.

Very good advice!
Unless your drive shaft is damaged or rusted out badly, it can be rebuilt by simply replacing the U Joints with Moog greasable joints.
If you need to replace the complete rear driveshaft assembly, a new one can be quite expensive. You may want to try and find one in a boneyard.
If you want to find & order a complete new shaft online, Google this part number: 52853130AE :google:

MOOG 280 U-Joint

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:22 am 
LOST Member

Evidently a previous mechanic took a hammer to the ends and damaged the u joints. I’m okay with getting a new shaft as I replaced the front shaft as well. When I priced that out it was nearly as expensive replacing the u joints on the old shaft as opposed to buying a new shaft with you joints
I’m going to do a bit more research as I am NOT a drive shaft expert. Thanks

Ohhhh and I will research the Moog joints as I have moog from ball joints too (I assume the same company)
Ken

Beaverton Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:55 am 
LOST Member

Just be aware that there is a difference in length between the gasser rear drive shaft and the CRD rear drive shaft if you go and source one from a salvage yard. Might have better luck by going to CRD facebook page and asking anyone that is parting one out for one.

But as long as the "ears" are good on your drive shaft any driveline shop can press in new U-joints..or if you can do it yourself. Its not hard and if you need further guidance, there are plenty of youtube university videos on the subject for reference.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:17 am 
LOST Member

Tom Woods Driveshafts will build you what you need. My recommendation is to rebuild it yourself using Spicer or Precision greaseable U joints. That way you can service them yourself. The sealed ones have a limited lifespan. the greaseable ones will last forever if you add a shot of grease once a year. I have Spicer greaseable ones in my 93 CTD that have 300K on them and every single mile of that is extreme duty service.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:48 am 
LOST Member

X2 on Spicer or Precision. Always get the drive shaft balanced after changing U-Joints.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:22 pm 

Unless the driveshaft has been dinged or hit something, or you are experiencing a vibration problem, simply replacing the U Joints with quality replacement joints should not normally require the shaft to be rebalanced. I have replaced 100's of U Joints over the years, even ones with a center floater or ones with double Cardan joints and did not rebalance any of them and never had a issue with balance.

It is necessary to pay close attention and mark components before taking them apart and reassemble them in the same order/orientation they were before taking them apart. They came from the factory balanced, so just simply replacing the U Joints should not change or affect the balance if done correctly.

But if you want to spend the money to balance one, it certainly won't hurt anything, it's your money.... :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve