It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So how many Diehard CRD owners are left?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bought my 2006 LTD in 2006, still using it for running the dogs around, snow plowing, winching, hauling a trailer, driving in snow storms.
Bought another 2006 Sport around 2010? Sold it in 2017 for an F150.

Tell us your story.

Post subject: Re: So how many Diehard CRD owners are left?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

flman wrote:
Tell us your story.

My KJ CRD story is a little long and it involves my first searching for true love with any used 2005-2007 Jeep KJ CRD that had not been ridden hard and put away wet!!!

It's also important to note that I named her "Giddyup" on our very first date (oops, I mean test drive) when I turned the key and heard her cute snort on starting up. I decided to marry her then and there ... a somewhat rash decision but one which I have not yet come to regret.

While I only recently joined LJ, and already posted part of my story in Member Introduction, I will chime in here as well, since both in deed and in fact, I am a diehard diesel driver with plans to maintain and ride Giddyup either until she dies hard, hopefully NOT any time soon, or until I run out of money, which, given the care and feeding she is now undergoing , is much more likely :lol:

As I live and work in a more rural and rarefied part of N.California, with poorly maintained roads (or maybe I should call them what they are...a narrow path between otherwise continuous potholes :ROTFL: ) as well as plenty of large trees to fall across and block them, Giddyup is basically my UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) for running town errands (ie getting groceries and seeing doctors), as opposed to using the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD (her name is "Maya") that is mostly set up for towing a flatbed trailer in order to pick up logs and deliver finished lumber. It's not so much that I mind rowing the diesel truck to town, but riding Giddyup instead is much easier on my left leg, obviously more convenient to park, almost just as fun to drive, definitely yields twice the mpg, and still has room for necessary utility items, like a chainsaw and other traveling tools, in the Winter. I also use her almost exclusively to drive the much longer distances I need to...for example when I go to visit my mother, who lives 650 miles away and who will be a 102 yo this year!!! 8)

So I bought my my well loved and occasionally hated, but also lightly used and gently cared for, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited KJ CRD back in 2015 from a Mopar diesel mechanic in So Cal. He had purchased her from a startled customer when she was brought into the dealership where he worked with a "no start" condition at 135k miles. When said customer received the $4k repair estimate for the broken timing belt and all associated parts, they balked and simply abandoned her as trade in towards another vehicle from the same dealership and then meandered on their merry way. Meanwhile, Mr Mechanic bought the CRD for salvage from his boss, fixed her up with all new Mopar engine parts as needed, added a CB radio mount, and ended up with another Jeep in his growing car collection. Fortunately for me, within a year he needed to thin his growing herd and thats when I bought her for $7500 in decent cosmetic and excellent running shape with 142k on her :D

I have done mostly only maintenance repairs since, including lube and filter services but also brake replacement and obviously suspension work, but now having ridden her for close to another 100k, it's time for the half monte TB install, including half a water pump and other crucial engine parts. Unfortunately, and upon removing the IC/hoses, I found substantial oil in them and when inspecting the turbo, I found excessive axial shaft play ...necessitating a Sasquatch turbo install as well more money spent on more Silicone hoses.
Oh yeah, 2 of the OEM 7v ceramic glow plugs had thrown a DTC and I found 2 broken tips upon replacing the set with Bosch 5v plugs. :cry:

As they say in the UK, "In for a penny, in for a pound", so after more searching here to gain knowledge of useful techniques for fixing some of my problems, I also decided to do the modded thermostat upgrade and then also a 3.7 V6 11 blade fan install to keep the radiator running cooler while the engine gets to run a little hotter :BANANA:

Anyhows, that's about where I'm at right now... with about 75% of the work complete and the remainder ONLY on the "FINALLY put it all back together side!!!" instead of mostly on the "Dammit gotta tear it down MORE" side. :D

In fact, I got her test started just yesterday...AFTER some of the various and most important parts were properly bolted back to the block, but BEFORE putting the front timing cover, as well as the rest of many other various important parts, back on. And despite pre-lubing the new turbo, I still needed to check actual oil flow through the turbo supply line, as well as check and adjust final tension on the new timing belt. :cool:

Since, for reasons still unknown, cranking the starter with the crankshaft sensor unplugged for many multiple 10 second intervals did NOT show me any oil flow at the loose banjo bolt on top of the turbo, I decided to actually fire her up while keeping the turbo shaft from spinning. In a rare display of common sense, I used needle nose vise-grips on the shaft nut zip tied to viscous heater instead of using my fingers to keep the turbo from spinning up even at idle :eek:.

And so with the crankshaft sensor plugged back in, and the oil supply banjo bolt still loosened on the turbo, I had my excellent helper and daughter turn the key and ... within moments of start up, I witnessed a veritable gusher of oil flowing to the turbo, which resulted in a sharp yell of excitement from me, so excellent daughter immediately shut her down, after which I properly tightened the banjo bolt on the the turbo oil supply line, reset the timing belt tensioner to mark ... and called it a day!!! :cool:

Heres the pics to prove it ... just taken this morning, but PLEASE dont notice or complain about the dirty AC condensor...I will scrub it down and straighten out the bent fins once I get the timing belt cover back on. 8)

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

Last edited by seafish on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My LTD, was a garage queen for the 1st 11 years of life. Have only about a 103k on her so far. No major repairs, just mods, ARP studs, Euro TQ, and a few others in my sig. If you take care of them, they take care of you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:35 pm 

There are many owners/drivers who truly love this unique little Jeep like myself and do everything they can to keep it going which required lots of modifications to fix and address all the factory defects and bad decisions the penny pinchers made along with requiring quite a bit of money $$$$ and owner dedication to make it all happen.
We are among the few to experience this very unique vehicle as there are not a large amount of them still on the road today in the US and their number are growing smaller every day as you read of owners choosing to part them out when repair costs well exceed replacement value.

The suggested modification/upgrade list below is quite long, but there are NO other vehicles available in the US market today that can provide all that the Jeep Liberty CRD can give...truly a cherished little diesel for many owners.

List of **Top Mods to make Jeep Liberty CRD reliable:
Page 1

Page 2

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I never heard about exhaust valves breaking. How do they break, stem or the seated part that makes it a valve?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:26 pm 

flman wrote:
I never heard about exhaust valves breaking. How do they break, stem or the seated part that makes it a valve?

My goodness, where have you been? :? :shock: This discussion has been going on for several years now. :ROTFL:

Read through this thread, Valve failure research thread - We need your data!
it is kinda long, but it covers most of the details about valve failures.
More:> Exhaust Valves

This is the white paper on: Metallurgical Investigation of the failure of VM Motori exhaust valves research paper that was done several years ago. Good reading!
No one Root cause of failure has ever been determined, lots of speculation including age, high EGT's along with the the constant sandblasting of the exhaust valve stems by the EGR soot which cause exfoliation of the material all play into the possible cause of the many valve failures reported.

There have been quite a few pictures posted on this forum and others by some of the owners who have been unfortunate and had a exhaust valve break off. The resulting catastrophic damage to the cylinder head, piston, and piston liner is very ugly. A few have even had the valve head go through the piston and cause the block to crack or worse yet, get on one of the connecting rods and bust out the side of the block rendering the whole engine a total loss.

An exhaust valve failure (breakage) will cause catastrophic damage and be very, very, expensive.

So as a pre-emptive measure, some owners have opted to go ahead and replace all the exhaust valves as a precaution when their vehicle approaches the 200k miles mark.

Broken/Dropped Valves in the VM

Picture of damage due to dropped/broken exhaust valve:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep. I have a nice mantel piece of a CRD piston with a valve head imbeded in the top. The head was to big for the mantel! :-)r
I am still a CRD player.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
flman wrote:

My goodness, where have you been? :? :shock: This discussion has been going on for several years now. :ROTFL:

Read through this thread, Valve failure research thread - We need your data!
it is kinda long, but it covers most of the details about valve failures.
More:> Exhaust Valves

This is the white paper on: Metallurgical Investigation of the failure of VM Motori exhaust valves research paper that was done several years ago. Good reading!
No one Root cause of failure has ever been determined, lots of speculation including age, high EGT's along with the the constant sandblasting of the exhaust valve stems by the EGR soot which cause exfoliation of the material all play into the possible cause of the many valve failures reported.

There have been quite a few pictures posted on this forum and others by some of the owners who have been unfortunate and had a exhaust valve break off. The resulting catastrophic damage to the cylinder head, piston, and piston liner is very ugly. A few have even had the valve head go through the piston and cause the block to crack or worse yet, get on one of the connecting rods and bust out the side of the block rendering the whole engine a total loss.

An exhaust valve failure (breakage) will cause catastrophic damage and be very, very, expensive.

So as a pre-emptive measure, some owners have opted to go ahead and replace all the exhaust valves as a precaution when their vehicle approaches the 200k miles mark.

Broken/Dropped Valves in the VM

Picture of damage due to dropped/broken exhaust valve:

Maybe I did hear about it, but only half way to 200K, I am not worried, and have not thought about it.

Yes, I have been out of the pictured for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:14 pm 
LOST Member

Bought my 2006 brand new. We were looking for a 4WD diesel because I had been running my VWs on WVO and wanted to do the same. But it was my wife’s car, and I kind of decided she might not mix well with WVO. So she drove it for 12 years, mostly trouble free. Then my daughter took it to college where some kids found the diesel thing pretty interesting.Still pretty trouble free. Now it’s my main daily driver, also snow plow, trailer hauler and wood truck.

170,000 miles, as I say mostly trouble free. One alternator, two ABS sensors, both front wheel hub/bearings, the power steering line and a few rotted fuel and transmission lines. Also three window motors, every one except the driver’s window, the one that gets used the most. Go figure. Other than that it has just been brakes and tires and oil. One battery, the original lasted 11 years. I did strip out the oil drain plug, but it was quite easy to tap and replace with a Fumoto.

But it is very rusty, so it’s days are numbered. Too bad because the engine and transmission are like new, as far as I can tell. Starts easy, plenty of power and shifts perfectly. I’ve really liked the vehicle, and would buy another if I could. I occasionally check on Bring A Trailer, hoping to find a creampuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

graycenphil wrote:
Bought my 2006 brand new. We were looking for a 4WD diesel because I had been running my VWs on WVO and wanted to do the same. But it was my wife’s car, and I kind of decided she might not mix well with WVO. So she drove it for 12 years, mostly trouble free. Then my daughter took it to college where some kids found the diesel thing pretty interesting.Still pretty trouble free. Now it’s my main daily driver, also snow plow, trailer hauler and wood truck.

170,000 miles, as I say mostly trouble free. One alternator, two ABS sensors, both front wheel hub/bearings, the power steering line and a few rotted fuel and transmission lines. Also three window motors, every one except the driver’s window, the one that gets used the most. Go figure. Other than that it has just been brakes and tires and oil. One battery, the original lasted 11 years. I did strip out the oil drain plug, but it was quite easy to tap and replace with a Fumoto.

But it is very rusty, so it’s days are numbered. Too bad because the engine and transmission are like new, as far as I can tell. Starts easy, plenty of power and shifts perfectly. I’ve really liked the vehicle, and would buy another if I could. I occasionally check on Bring A Trailer, hoping to find a creampuff.

Find a dead gasser and move the engine and tranny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:45 am 
LOST Member

Not a bad idea, there are a lot of gas Liberties out there. Is it as simple as swapping the engine and transmission, plus the computer, maybe the instruments too? Or is there a lot of fabrication and other mystery work that needs to happen to make it work? Anybody done one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:04 pm 

graycenphil wrote:
Not a bad idea, there are a lot of gas Liberties out there. Is it as simple as swapping the engine and transmission, plus the computer, maybe the instruments too? Or is there a lot of fabrication and other mystery work that needs to happen to make it work? Anybody done one?

Reminder; the front cradle that the engine bolts to and sets in is different on the diesel Liberty as is the front differential as it sets a little closer to the drivers side wheel vs a gasser. Both CV axles are also different lengths on the diesel Jeeps vs the gasser.

It gets quite complicated!
SO
You would have to swap the front engine cradle along with the whole front axle assembly including CV axles from a diesel over to a gasser along with all the other electrical parts and wiring to make it work. :dizzy: :banghead: :(
It would be a monumental Job to say the least! :ALONE:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

Love it. I have done almost all of them. I have not done #4 and I have 152k on my Libby. Do you consider #4 something to do in the near term? Appreciate the thoughts!

WWDiesel wrote:
There are many owners/drivers who truly love this unique little Jeep like myself and do everything they can to keep it going which required lots of modifications to fix and address all the factory defects and bad decisions the penny pinchers made along with requiring quite a bit of money $$$$ and owner dedication to make it all happen.
We are among the few to experience this very unique vehicle as there are not a large amount of them still on the road today in the US and their number are growing smaller every day as you read of owners choosing to part them out when repair costs well exceed replacement value.

The suggested modification/upgrade list below is quite long, but there are NO other vehicles available in the US market today that can provide all that the Jeep Liberty CRD can give...truly a cherished little diesel for many owners.

List of **Top Mods to make Jeep Liberty CRD reliable:
Page 1

Page 2

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
graycenphil wrote:

Reminder; the front cradle that the engine bolts to and sets in is different on the diesel Liberty as is the front differential as it sets a little closer to the drivers side wheel vs a gasser. Both CV axles are also different lengths on the diesel Jeeps vs the gasser.

It gets quite complicated!
SO
You would have to swap the front engine cradle along with the whole front axle assembly including CV axles from a diesel over to a gasser along with all the other electrical parts and wiring to make it work. :dizzy: :banghead: :(
It would be a monumental Job to say the least! :ALONE:

Thanks VW. Probably not a job for me. When the time comes, I’ll put my vehicle on here, in case anyone wants the engine and transmission.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would give the gasser a try, keep swapping until it works.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:18 pm 

flman wrote:

It certainly would be an "Adventure" not for the faint of heart! :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
flman wrote:

It certainly would be an "Adventure" not for the faint of heart! :5SHOTS:

I haven't looked, but couldn't the entire cradle, front axle, engine and tranny be wheeled out as one big assembly? Then you have the fuel lines, and electronics. What else?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 2005 CRD is still hanging in there. It isn't driven much and I have a few items to fix, but its still on the road. It sat outside most of last year, this winter I got it into the barn. I have to fix the rear speed sensor wiring, I have a glow plug gone bad and I think my new Chinasium turbo seals are bad again. I primarily use it to winch timber out of the forest for firewood and haul it home.

I dream about getting it back into top shape and taking a trip back to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari one year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I bought a 2005 new and sold it in 2010. I should have been given my own special chair in the waiting room of the dealership. I spent more time there than any other vehicle I have ever owned, combined. That being said, when it ran it was great. The final straw happened at about 75,000 miles when the ECU went bad. It was replaced free under the 80k emissions warranty, but would have been over $ 1,200 if I had to pay.

I got a 2011 Tacoma in late 2010 as a replacement and have had exactly 1 repair beyond normal maintenance in over 110,000 miles. It is possible to make a quality vehicle, but Jeep simply does not know how. I would not buy another Jeep product at gunpoint.

I think of my time with the Jeep the same as with some of my old girlfriends. The sex was great, but they were such awful people it was simply not worth the high maintenance required.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:02 am 
LOST Member

Ya. But the sex was great!