It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Probably killed my crd
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Long story short. It's been a while since I've been on here but I just finished a timing belt interval. Not my first rodeo with one. Mileage is 280k- I went ahead and rebuilt the turbo while I had it apart... mistake apparently. Started it up and everything was totally fine for about 10-15 minutes at idle. I noticed smoke out the tail pipe....I immediately was like crap the turbo. I shut it off for a few minutes and like a fool I decided to start it again to see how it would behave because I looks for oil by the turbo and didn't really see anything. To speak of. Started it up no problem.....after about 3 seconds it revved to the moon and stayed there. Key off as quick as I could. Hopped out and pulled battery leads quickly....all while the thing is probably redlined. Finally died on its own. I'm absolutely gutted. Tried to start it after pulling the intercooler hose off just in case and it won't start. It won't build fuel pressure for some reason now....which is why I guess it won't start. The last time I tried to start it it made a weird noise and then just spun like slipping a belt. I feel like an idiot. It's been a super rough month for me and cars. I don't know where to begin. Not sure if it's for real toasted or if I can swap turbos correct whatever occured and drive it again.

Post subject: Re: Probably killed my crd
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Did you pre lube the turbo bearings with oil and also make sure that the turbo drain line was clear and that the turbo oil supply was flowing before firing up the engine??

All these steps are crucial to insure that your new/rebuilt turbo is oiled properly when you fire it up!!!

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:23 am 
LOST Newbie

I did prelube the turbo and used assembly lube. Drain I did not verify but...it worked until it didn't. Obviously diesel runaway here. Engine is toast. Sucks because I put a new head and stud kit in it 100k ago. So it's either a donor engine most likely or offer the jeep up to someone on here who wants it for cheap.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:06 pm 

Did it suck all the oil out of the engine before shutdown? Will the engine turn over now or is it totally locked up? :grim:

If anyone else ever experiences an engine trying to run-a-way like this one has done, immediately pull air filter and stuff the intake hose full of rags to stop all air flow going into the engine. This will stop combustion and the run-a-way. Without air (oxygen) the fuel (oil) cannot ignite when compressed.

Quote:
Since there's no external ignition source on a diesel engine, and you can't stop or shut off the fuel source (oil) then you have to shut off the air flow going into the engine. Immediately plug the air intake going to the turbo, or introduce a large enough volume of inert gas (i.e. CO2 fire extinguisher) to displace oxygen. Either way, when you eliminate, displace, or prevent enough oxygen/air flow going into the engine to sustain combustion, the combustion process will be prevented and the engine will come to a stop. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:06 pm 

Did it suck all the oil out of the engine before shutdown? Will the engine turn over now or is it totally locked up? :grim:

If anyone else ever experiences an engine trying to run-a-way like this one has done, immediately pull air filter and stuff the intake hose full of rags to stop all air flow going into the engine. This will stop combustion and the run-a-way. Without air (oxygen) the fuel (oil) cannot ignite when compressed.

Quote:
Since there's no external ignition source on a diesel engine, and you can't stop or shut off the fuel source (oil) then you have to shut off the air flow going into the engine. Immediately plug the air intake going to the turbo, or introduce a large enough volume of inert gas (i.e. CO2 fire extinguisher) to displace oxygen. Either way, when you eliminate, displace, or prevent enough oxygen/air flow going into the engine to sustain combustion, the combustion process will be prevented and the engine will come to a stop. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah I feel like a huge fool. I'm sure alot of people here would laugh at me or shake their heads. Thank you for the advice..... lesson learned on my part the hard way. Hopefully it helps someone in the future. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to swap a good engine in or just salvage what I can from it for my other crd. Yes I have two of them. Both have nearly 300k on them and were daily driven by myself and my wife. They've been such great vehicles for us which is why I feel so terrible about grenading this one. One is a sport and the other a limited. Both have newer heads and stud kits in them. I say new heads but.... roughly 100k or so. So I'm torn at this point if I should find a good donor engine or move on.....

To answer wwdielsels question specifically- it sucked nearly all the oil out. Engine I believe is locked up at this point. I don't know if the head is still good or revving that high destroyed it as well. If I found a donor engine I'd put my stud kit in it immediately and put new rockers on, timing belt etc. just don't know if it's worth the money and time to do. These have been super reliable vehicles for me though.....