It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Piston Rings for the R428 VM Motori
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

A few months ago I was looking for the correct piston rings for rebuilding my engine and the correct rings were NLA from the sources I could find on here. The replacement pistons use a thinned ring pack, so if you were planning on reusing your old cylinders and bought new rings you'll find that they won't fit.

Some info for those who haven't torn an engine down yet:

The bore size is 94mm with a ring pack of 3.0 X 2.0 X 2.0. These are all in mm. the top ring is 3mm thick, the second is 2mm and the oil control ring is 2mm as well.

All Liberty CRDs came with pistons with that ring pack. Replacement pistons and rings are 2.0 X 1.5 X 2.0. The oil control ring is the same, but top ring is 1mm thinner and the second is .5mm thinner.

Also, the top ring is a Keystone ring so the top and bottom side are not parallel. It makes it a little more difficult to measure.

After a lot of searching and finally calling Total Seal and Hastings I have gotten a ring pack for my old pistons.

Hastings had part numbers for the Duramax 2.8L and was not able to confirm that they fit. I bought them and confirmed it myself. They have some part numbers for the ring packs themselves, but I actually piece together a kit using the top ring from Hastings, a Total Seal ring for the second ring from Total Seal and since I bought a wrong kit for the thin ring pack. Total Seal took care of me since Hastings does not sell directly to end users and are a supplier to Total Seal.

But, below I'll list the part numbers I got from Hastings:

New thin ring pack:
2.0 X 1.5 X 2.0
Hastings P/N: 2D7363
OEM P/N: 24586029

Old thick ring pack (probably the one you are looking for):
3.0 X 2.0 X 2.0
Hastings P/N: 2D7364
OEM P/N: 12628079

You will notice that the only difference in the Hastings part number is the last digit is incremented by 1 for the old ring pack size, but if yo are ordering, just be sure to confirm the ring pack size.

Total Seal took care of me, but it took a little longer since I ordered ring before Christmas and everyone else in the world was calling in at the same time, but I'd still do business with them. As of this writing, I have not yet run the engine, but I have measured, gapped the rings properly and assembled the engine. I still have a few more things to finish on the Jeep before I can light it off.

1976 Volvo 245 Wagon M46
1997 Dodge Ram 6BT NV4500
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD NSG370
1983 CX650TC
I have a turbo/manual transmission problem.

Post subject: Re: Piston Rings for the R428 VM Motori
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:36 pm 
LOST Member

Following

Wish this info was available a year ago when I rebuilt my bottom end for a bad connecting rod journal bearing.