It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glow plug replacement
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:22 am 
LOST Member

I’m getting a bad glow plug code and none have been replaced as far as I know
My question

I have decent mechanical skills and curious if these are easy to replace.?
I use my jeep for winter activities and many times overnight so it cold soaks at 10 degrees over night. Would it be a good idea to get better winter glow plugs or stick with stock? Thanks

Ken

Beaverton Oregon

Post subject: Re: Glow plug replacement
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Haha...replacing the glow plugs is the easy part...but first getting access to them and then later bolting all those parts back is a little more complicated. :wink:

In short, getting clearance to place a 10mm socket on ALL of the glow plugs involves removing the battery, the alternator, which means at least first loosening the serpentine belt tensioner, and then also removing the intake elbow, which means disconnecting the intake elbow from the intake, the dipstick, a hard line clamp and ALSO the EGR valve exhaust pipe... THAT part is NOT so easy...patience, good lighting, good eyesight, good tools INCLUDING several long, 1/4" drive ratchet extensions with a decent wobble tip are key here!!! Removing the intake elbow involves working both beneath and on top of the engine.

Even then, after hopefully easily replacing the glow plugs (PB Blaster and compressed air are your friends here... both to loosen up the glow plugs and to keep ANY debris from falling into cylinders), you STILL need to put it all back together again!!! And, I gotta say that, at least for me, reconnecting the intake elbow to the EGR valve exhaust pipe while still keeping the elbow aligned to the intake was the most intricate and difficult part of this job!!!

Oh yeah, if any or all of the glow plugs seem difficult to turn counterclockwise while removing them, be SURE to patiently and slowly work them BOTH in and out of the cylinder head...alternately loosen them a little and then tighten just a little, in order to clear the threads...in other words, do NOT use too much force by simply trying to back them out or you might come to regret that. A little PB Blaster can help here too , but be sure to clear any debris with compressed air before finally removing the glow plug.

All that said, do NOT let my words discourage you..its fun when it’s done!!!

Of course it also goes without saying that it helps ALOT to have an assistant who can at least hand you the correct tools and help focus a good work light as you are laying under the Jeep.

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:04 am 

If you can remove ALL that EGR crap, it makes working on that side of the engine so much easier and your engine will love you for it. :D

All the EGR crap removed:

EGR Removal Parts

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:37 pm 
LOST Member

What's the code? You can replace them with the Bosch 5v ones. Do NOT buy the Etechno ones. They are garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks soooo much for the helpful tips. I’m on he fence if I should try this. I’ve removed and or replaced a few of these items including the serpentine belt but at my age good light is mandatory and don’t have an assistant. This is probably one of those projects I should leave for the professionals

Would the 5v be best for cold weather?

Beaverton Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

mtbdemon wrote:
Would the 5v be best for cold weather?

The 5v Bosch steel glow plugs are an excellent replacement for the 7v ceramic tipped ones.
Ideally you would also replace the control module to the 5V version, but anecdotal evidence shows that the 5v glow plugs continue to operate well with no damage even when they are run with the 7v module. There should be a white sticker near the top of the timing belt cover that gives information as to what glow plugs are in your car now.

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C