It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing leaking Power Steering Hoses.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:19 am 
LOST Member

Well it took 240,000 miles and almost 20 years but my leaking hoses bugged me enough to get them fixed. Unfortunately replacements don't exist. I read somewhere that they can run a direct line between the pump and rack with no ill effects. It took me 4 hours to remove the original. What a PITA. It has an accumulator of some sort and what appears to be a cooling line. But, I think as long as you aren't rock crawling it shouldn't be overheating. Hopefully. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Replacing leaking Power Steering Hoses.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:18 pm 
LOST Member

Got the new hose installed. Had a hydraulic shop builid it using the two ends off the factory one. Had him put a JIC swivel connection in the middle so I wouldn't have any twist problems. Only problem I had was because he used steel braided hose which was quite stiff so it was tough getting the ends to align right to get the threads started. But it seems to work perfectly and now I have a hose rated for 3,000PSI and 350F degrees. I made a really short video I'll post on YouTube eventually.

Post subject: Re: Replacing leaking Power Steering Hoses.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:33 am 
LOST Member

Update: so I can now notice a chattering in the system when turning to the left at idle. It goes away with some throttle. Not sure if it is because of the steel braided line has no expansion capabilities, I eliminated the accumulator thingy or both. So there's that.