It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck Throttle!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

what could cause the throttle to stick??

When I start the Jeep, it wont idle just goes up to 4500 rpm and I shut it down to prevent it from red-lining. I've got an ABS code for the 3rd member sensor and I have a code for a Glow plug. Nothing else.

When I put it away last fall. it would do this after it got warm but if it was cold would idle fine. Now it does it from first start. I've disconnected the battery and let it sit before reconnecting, I disconnected the Turbo hose thinking it might be oil seals. Its drive by wire. Could it be the throttle position sensor?

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds like a bad "gas" pedal. Since the CRD is "electronic throttle" the pedal is known to go bad. You can try and take it out and clean the contacts and see it that will work.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

Last edited by 03black on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am 
LOST Member

Wild guess... a bad temperature sensor or chewed wires to it?

I loaned my CRD to a friend while still newish and he had it act up with symptoms I don't remember that triggered the TPS lightning bolt light on the dash. Dealer cleared codes and it never came back. I came across something about the computer getting confused if it got interrupted by throttle inputs while involved in boot/self-checks and turn on the light. Long time ago.