It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What oil are you running in your CRD?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been running the "forum-recommended" Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 for years, but Mobil 1 has a Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 that looks promising. I plan to give that a try. Anyone have any experience with this or others? I'm in south-central Texas, so relatively warm climate, though we've had some colder-than-normal winters the past few years (i.e. we actually had several hard freezes).

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

Post subject: Re: What oil are you running in your CRD?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:10 pm 

Best to stick with the Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 for warm weather operation.
Shell Rotella also makes a T6 5W-40 if you want to run a lighter weight during cold low temperatures.
I run the Rotella T6 15W-40 year round even during occasional low winter time temperatures with no issues. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 pm 
LOST Member

I have only used Mobil Delvac ESP 1 (5W-40). Hope I am not screwing up!! I change every 4,000 miles.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

There's an interesting series of "shootout" videos on YouTube that use simple but consistent and effective tests to rate various synthetic motor oils at various viscosities. Mobil1 consistently scores very high, if not tops, even against top European and Japanese oils, as well as "boutique" oils.

https://www.youtube.com/@NATESINTERACTIVEAUTO/playlists

The real question in my mind is which specific weight to use. When I run 15W-40, the Libby tends to burn a decent amount of oil. I also drive a MB ML350 with the V6 turbodiesel, and it does the same thing with 15W-40...but it doesn't go through 5W-40 nearly as quickly. My Diesel mechanic confirmed that behavior, and said that the ML really prefers 5W-40. The Liberty might prefer 15W-40, but I want to see what it thinks about 5W-40, and whether it burns less oil with the lighter weight.

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:45 pm 

jlg89 wrote:
There's an interesting series of "shootout" videos on YouTube that use simple but consistent and effective tests to rate various synthetic motor oils at various viscosities. Mobil1 consistently scores very high, if not tops, even against top European and Japanese oils, as well as "boutique" oils.

https://www.youtube.com/@NATESINTERACTIVEAUTO/playlists

The real question in my mind is which specific weight to use. When I run 15W-40, the Libby tends to burn a decent amount of oil. I also drive a MB ML350 with the V6 turbodiesel, and it does the same thing with 15W-40...but it doesn't go through 5W-40 nearly as quickly. My Diesel mechanic confirmed that behavior, and said that the ML really prefers 5W-40. The Liberty might prefer 15W-40, but I want to see what it thinks about 5W-40, and whether it burns less oil with the lighter weight.

A big problem with the oil tests link you shared; there is NO comparison of API "Diesel Rated" oils that I could find, all their tests are on oils for gasoline engines.
If you are using 15W-40 full synthetic oil in your CRD, be darn sure it is a API Diesel Rated oil, CH4 or higher; preferably CK4 is best.
Using a Gasoline rated oil in a diesel engine is a recipe for disaster! :grim:

Note: I run Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 15W-40 oil year round in my CRD and have never had to add any oil between oil changes performed every 5k miles.

Some of the better oil recommendations for your Diesel engine:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic in everything including my lawn mower since the 80's I've never had an oil related failure ever. I always run Mobil 1 5w-40 diesel truck formula in the Libbys.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:10 pm 
LOST Member

I have been running Rotella T6 5W-40 for over 300000km in one CRD and over 100000km in the other CRD with no issues. Change every 10000km as per FSM. Not going to mess with success.